Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [9]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [8]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619099 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Attachment:
box.PNG
An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet wide, 6 feet long, and 2 feet high. An ant starts crawling from one corner (point A) to reach the diametrically opposite corner (point B). If the ant takes the shortest route possible to reach the destination by crawling on the inner surface of the box, how many feet does the ant travel?

A. \(6\sqrt{2}\)

B. \(\sqrt{10}\)

C. \(2\sqrt{19}\)

D. \(10\)

E. \(14\)

Similar questions to practice:
an-ant-is-clinging-to-one-corner-of-a-box-in-the-shape-of-a-135055.html
s97-184708.html
an-ant-crawls-from-one-corner-of-a-room-to-the-diagonally-134454.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Send PM
Re: An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet [#permalink]
Kudos
Zhenek wrote:
If I understood the question correctly I really wonder if thats actually a gmat question. Not only my answer is different from what is proposed (my answer is 9 feet or approximately 9.54 feet) but also the way to solve it required me to use things which are most likely beyond the bounadires of gmat requirements.
Basically the way I approached this task was evaluating 2 scenarios:

and

The first one gave me the lowest answer after conducting analysis on the distance function (sum of lengths of AC and CB)

How did you arrive at your ans?? Explain and then we shall see whether this is within or beyond GMAT scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Attachment:
box.PNG
An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet wide, 6 feet long, and 2 feet high. An ant starts crawling from one corner (point A) to reach the diametrically opposite corner (point B). If the ant takes the shortest route possible to reach the destination by crawling on the inner surface of the box, how many feet does the ant travel?

A. \(6\sqrt{2}\)

B. \(\sqrt{10}\)

C. \(2\sqrt{19}\)

D. \(10\)

E. \(14\)

Similar questions to practice:
an-ant-is-clinging-to-one-corner-of-a-box-in-the-shape-of-a-135055.html
s97-184708.html

Hope it helps.

Bunuel you rock :-D ...you seem to have virtually every GMAT problem on earth on your finger tips..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Send PM
An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet [#permalink]
Kudos
Haha, I'm glad I actually looked at it again, anyway, I made a mistake in my calculations and it is indeed 10 in the end, damn. I'll just explain my way of thinking then:
My 2nd picture, the point C is on the line and X is a variable. Length function is \(\sqrt{36+x^2} + \sqrt{36+(2-x)^2}\).
With the help of derivatives I found that its lowest value is \(2*\sqrt{37}\) when X = 1 (although one could also apply some common sense there since if u try drawing the thing abit differently - as a double-rectangular figure omitting the folding, the shortest distance ends up being a straight line and it happens that since the rectangles have equal lengths, the line will cross the folding in its middle thus X = 1). \(2*\sqrt{37}\) > 12.
First picture is similar. Length function is \(F(x) = \sqrt{x^2+4} + \sqrt{36+(6-x)^2}\).
In order to find minimum value I went with the rule that this \(X_0\) is pretty much a root of an equation \(F'(X_0) = 0\)
\(\frac{2*x}{\sqrt{x^2+4}} - \frac{2*(6-x)}{\sqrt{36+(6-x)^2}} = 0\)
\(x* \sqrt{36+(6-x)^2} = (6-x)* \sqrt{4+x^2}\)
solving this you get x = 1,5 as the only fitting answer, y ends up being 10 which is the answer to the question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Zhenek wrote:
Haha, I'm glad I actually looked at it again, anyway, I made a mistake in my calculations and it is indeed 10 in the end, damn. I'll just explain my way of thinking then:
My 2nd picture, the point C is on the line and X is a variable. Length function is \(\sqrt{36+x^2} + \sqrt{36+(2-x)^2}\).
With the help of derivatives I found that its lowest value is \(2*\sqrt{37}\) when X = 1 (although one could also apply some common sense there since if u try drawing the thing abit differently - as a double-rectangular figure omitting the folding, the shortest distance ends up being a straight line and it happens that since the rectangles have equal lengths, the line will cross the folding in its middle thus X = 1). \(2*\sqrt{37}\) > 12.
First picture is similar. Length function is \(F(x) = \sqrt{x^2+4} + \sqrt{36+(6-x)^2}\).
In order to find minimum value I went with the rule that this \(X_0\) is pretty much a root of an equation \(F'(X_0) = 0\)
\(\frac{2*x}{\sqrt{x^2+4}} - \frac{2*(6-x)}{\sqrt{36+(6-x)^2}} = 0\)
\(x* \sqrt{36+(6-x)^2} = (6-x)* \sqrt{4+x^2}\)
solving this you get x = 1,5 as the only fitting answer, y ends up being 10 which is the answer to the question

Well dear, I appreciate your insights...very thorough indeed.

However, the question can be solved using basics of Pythagoras theorem...do visit the link suggested by Bunuel at

Relevant discussions have taken place along with diagrams to make the point better. Do revert if any doubts..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [3]
Send PM
An open-empty rectangular box with negligible wall thickness is 6 feet [#permalink]
Kudos
Yea I did understand the approach displayed there and I find it very clever. I guess I will elaborate with the changed picture:

AB' is the shortest path the ant has to take and its the straight line, thus we got a triangle ADB' where AB' = hypotenuse and is easily found to be equal to \(\sqrt{36+64} = 10\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Attachment:
box.PNG

A. \(6\sqrt{2}\)

B. \(\sqrt{10}\)

C. \(2\sqrt{19}\)

D. \(10\)

E. \(14\)

Hi-
I think there is a typo in the question. I believe either width or length needs to be 2, if the answer is indeed the correct answer.
Using the data given the question:
Basically if we unfold the box, this will give us two rectangles, 1 rectangle with height 2 and base 6, 2nd rectangle with height 2 and base 6. The two rectangles have point A and B as diametrically opposite points. Now to find AB, it's sqrt( (6+6)^2 + 2^2) and that's not the correct answer.
Bunuel - I have followed the other posts that you have mentioned, but not sure what I am missing here in this question. Any inputs will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Chanakya
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts