Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [44]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618676 [24]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Schools: Duke '16
Send PM
Re: Ann deposited money into two new accounts, A and B. Account A earns 5 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:
Ann deposited money into two new accounts, A and B. Account A earns 5 percent simple annual interest and account B earns 8 percent simple annual interest. If there were no other transactions in the two accounts, then the amount of interest that account B earned in the first year was how many dollars greater than the amount of interest that account A earned in the first year?

(1) Ann deposited $200 more in account B than in account A.
(2) The total amount of interest that the two accounts earned in the first year was $120.

I must be an idiot, because the answer is C (both statements together are sufficient). Walk me through the formula?

Let the amount Ann deposited into the accounts A and B be \(a\) and \(b\) respectively.
Question: \(0.08b-0.05a=?\)

(1) Ann deposited $200 more in account B than in account A --> \(b=a+200\). Not sufficient.

(2) The total amount of interest that the two accounts earned in the first year was $120 --> \(0.05a+0.08b=120\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have two distinct, linear equations with two unknowns: \(b=a+200\) and \(0.08b+0.05a=120\), thus we can solve it and get the value of \(0.08b-0.05a\) (so save time, as no need of actual solving). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Yeah i didnt bother to solve either i just saw it was solvable and went for C
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Ann deposited money into two new accounts, A and B. Account A earns 5 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Ann deposited money into two new accounts, A and B. Account A earns 5 percent simple annual interest and account B earns 8 percent simple annual interest. If there were no other transactions in the two accounts, then the amount of interest that account B earned in the first year was how many dollars greater than the amount of interest that account A earned in the first year?

(2) The total amount of interest that the two accounts earned in the first year was $120.

There are 3 variables (original money, interest rate, time period) in questions regarding compound and and simple accounts
For this question above, the time period is told to be 1 year, and the interest rates are told to be 5% and 8% respectively, so we only need to know the original money, which means there are 2 variables (A,B) and 2 equations are given by the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (C) will become the answer.
Looking at the conditions together, from B=A+200, A*5%+B*8%=120, we can derive an unique answer for the interests, so the conditions are sufficient and the answer becomes (C).

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
My immediate reaction on this one was that you could solve with Statement one alone by

Difference in Interest Earned = Difference in Rate(Difference in Amount Invested) => .03(200) = $6.00
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

---------
The target question: The difference between the interest of an account A and the interest of an account B?? (
The formula to find simple interest: I = Principal (P) * interest rate (%) * time

St1: Principal of an account B = 200 + Principal of an account A (Pb = 200 + Pa)
Ia = Pa * 5% *1 -->Pa = (Ia)/5%
Ib = Pb * 8% *1-->Ib = (200 + Pa) * 8% (1)
-->We know only Principal--> NS
St2: Ia + Ib = 120 (2)
No other info-->NS
St1 + St2: we have 2 equations with 2 unknown figures, so we can easily find the amount of interest in each account-->So, I choose C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM