Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Are top MBA adcoms hostile towards entrepreneurs? [#permalink]
Thank you for the replies. Would you say that by distinguishing myself as a successful entrepreneur, I have a very good shot? Is it that hard to convince adcoms that I am a quality candidate?

Are there any admitted entrepreneurs that have a story to tell? Or is it that rare to be admitted?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
FinanceGuy15 wrote:
Thank you for the replies. Would you say that by distinguishing myself as a successful entrepreneur, I have a very good shot? Is it that hard to convince adcoms that I am a quality candidate?

Are there any admitted entrepreneurs that have a story to tell? Or is it that rare to be admitted?

I think it depends. I know of a couple of people that were "entrepreneurs" before business school and were able to get a few admits and so it's not impossible. Whether or not it distinguishes you is another question. It may bring about some skepticism about your profile...

If you look at it from the adcom's perspective, why would someone that's already a successful entrepreneur want to come to a business school? Why not continue running your business successfully as you have been up to this point? If this person goes to business school full-time, what happens to their company? Why would this person choose to invest/spend additional capital and time on an MBA versus putting that towards their business?

You may have somewhat of an advantage given there may not be to many successful entrepreneurs applying to business school, but there's a reason that many successful entrepreneurs don't go to business school...
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hey there,

So yes and no - you want to boast on the D/L - through your resume, your recs, etc. You don't want to throw around revenue and funding round numbers. That will all happen. But what you want to focus on is the true advantage of entrepreneurship - the diversity of experience! So talk about what you learned, what you did, what gaps you identified, what you weren't so good at, etc.

And no, it's not rare for entrepreneurs to get in. We've got lots of entrepreneur clients who attended / are attending top 5, top 10 programs. You're not alone!

Bhavik
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think you have a solid shot as YOU. I think every entrepreneur has a story to tell - oftentimes it's a very interesting story - but not all entrepreneurs are admitted. Sometimes candidates will lose their job and then try to start-up some half-assed company (or non-profit/social enterprise) 9 months prior to applying - then there are people whose parents basically fund an offshoot of the family business and suddenly their kid is an entrepreneur.....do you see where I'm headed with this?

From what you've written, that isn't you. But you can see that the entrepreneur applicant pool is full of extremes - a few really successful people, other moderately successful ones and then a block of people who are just using entrepreneurship as a resume filler while they bide their time.

Quote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bump
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I have just come to this section on my resume and am wondering what I should do.

The bulk of my work experience is in Chinese manufacturing (I am an American with second-language fluency in Mandarin). I have co-founded a start-up with a friend of mind that is mimicking the business model and operations of an employer of mine. The start-up capital was very minimal so there was not the need to find VC and we have been working on all the materials we need over the last 18 months to hit the market in the next few weeks.

It has taken promotional material creation, web development, negotiations, legal considerations (such as product warranty), hiring contractors, and a number of other considerations and experiences that come when starting a business, but we dont have results at this point. Ideal scenario is the business becomes profitable by the time I submit my applications in January.

Should I put this as a separate section on my resume?

Are B-schools going to expect a letter of recommendation from my co-founder?

Is it going to improve or decrease my chances of acceptance since I dont have results just yet?

Others have suggested I wait and apply next year but the company is really low-maintenance so I can continue while at business school and I already have the experience outside of the initial start-up via working for my old employer (that the whole model is based on), so an extra year will not necessarily provide a huge increase in experience or knowledge. I think the MBA will allow me to achieve greater things through my business in real-time without wasting the time needed to prepare everything after I graduate. I also believe there is a realistic shelf life on this enterprise of about 5 - 10 years, so I will get the most out of it by starting it now and learning how to expand and adapt to the changing market.

I have a 750 GMAT, 3.5 GPA with about 50 months full-time work experience and I am applying to GSB, Sloan, Kellogg, Booth and Cornell. I think (hope) Kellogg is realistic and Cornell is my backup, the rest I understand are a stretch.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,
Are you still employed full-time with your Chinese manufacturing employer or have you quit? If you're planning on applying R2 and you've been employed these last 18 months you'll need recommendations from your current boss + one other person. That person could be your co-founder but it would be better if it were someone with a little less biased opinion.
You could list the start-up in a separate entrepreneurial section or in the chronology of work experiences.
Your #s look good - my only question is whether you haven't borrowed a little too much from the business model of your current? former? employer. Given that it cost you so little to get it up and running the thought did come into my mind - I'm not sure how b-schools and future employers will view that.

Quote:
I have just come to this section on my resume and am wondering what I should do.

The bulk of my work experience is in Chinese manufacturing (I am an American with second-language fluency in Mandarin). I have co-founded a start-up with a friend of mind that is mimicking the business model and operations of an employer of mine. The start-up capital was very minimal so there was not the need to find VC and we have been working on all the materials we need over the last 18 months to hit the market in the next few weeks.

It has taken promotional material creation, web development, negotiations, legal considerations (such as product warranty), hiring contractors, and a number of other considerations and experiences that come when starting a business, but we dont have results at this point. Ideal scenario is the business becomes profitable by the time I submit my applications in January.

Should I put this as a separate section on my resume?

Are B-schools going to expect a letter of recommendation from my co-founder?

Is it going to improve or decrease my chances of acceptance since I dont have results just yet?

Others have suggested I wait and apply next year but the company is really low-maintenance so I can continue while at business school and I already have the experience outside of the initial start-up via working for my old employer (that the whole model is based on), so an extra year will not necessarily provide a huge increase in experience or knowledge. I think the MBA will allow me to achieve greater things through my business in real-time without wasting the time needed to prepare everything after I graduate. I also believe there is a realistic shelf life on this enterprise of about 5 - 10 years, so I will get the most out of it by starting it now and learning how to expand and adapt to the changing market.

I have a 750 GMAT, 3.5 GPA with about 50 months full-time work experience and I am applying to GSB, Sloan, Kellogg, Booth and Cornell. I think (hope) Kellogg is realistic and Cornell is my backup, the rest I understand are a stretch.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fxMBAconsulting wrote:
Hi,
Are you still employed full-time with your Chinese manufacturing employer or have you quit? If you're planning on applying R2 and you've been employed these last 18 months you'll need recommendations from your current boss + one other person. That person could be your co-founder but it would be better if it were someone with a little less biased opinion.
You could list the start-up in a separate entrepreneurial section or in the chronology of work experiences.
Your #s look good - my only question is whether you haven't borrowed a little too much from the business model of your current? former? employer. Given that it cost you so little to get it up and running the thought did come into my mind - I'm not sure how b-schools and future employers will view that.

Yes, I am still employed full-time. My employer is a retailer that imports these products to the end-user in the US.

It is true that it is via this employer that I met this manufacturer and were they to discover my current plans and operations, they would not be happy, but I have taken steps and the due diligence to avoid any breaches of contract, I am not even in a non-compete, though I do concede that there is an ethical gray area.

My entire motivation for starting this enterprise stems from the fact that I can do it better. I am essentially already running the business for my employer, getting very little compensation for it, and all recommendations and input I provide are not listened to. If I can do it better, why not do it?

Reading that back it really doesnt sound that great and I am wondering if I should just not even bring it up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
the more i think about it, i think the right idea is to not mention it. i assume it would play out like this:

"wait, so you worked for this guy for three years and are now using his connections to become his competitor...?"

"well, yeah. i learned a lot about how i didnt want to run my own business while operating the other guys business for three years in a role with less power to initiate the organizational and procedural changes that i would like to see in my own enterprise. i learned how to better cooperate with the manufacturer to ensure greater success for both parties and i took the initiative to responsibly operate my company to provide more professional service and a better quality product and user satisfaction."
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you're earning a low salary (extremely low) that will undermind your application, but you said you're working in China so maybe you just meant that the salary was low by US standards?

If it isn't intellectual property you're stealing then the conversation might not get as in-depth as you're imagining. Doing a side start-up can add something to how interesting an applicant is especially if their role or company is not really impressive/brand name (this may or may not be your case, I don't know). So I would suggest listing the entrepreneurial experience but you'll have to make the final decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fxMBAconsulting wrote:
If you're earning a low salary (extremely low) that will undermind your application, but you said you're working in China so maybe you just meant that the salary was low by US standards?

If it isn't intellectual property you're stealing then the conversation might not get as in-depth as you're imagining. Doing a side start-up can add something to how interesting an applicant is especially if their role or company is not really impressive/brand name (this may or may not be your case, I don't know). So I would suggest listing the entrepreneurial experience but you'll have to make the final decision.

The salary is on par with staff at a US company (~40k), but yeah the purchasing power parity changes the actual worth of the salary living in china.

OK, I think I am going to include the experience, the only thing is I do not have any results to show for it at this point. I will make it less of a focus and more of a by the way.

Also, yes, no intellectual property theft. I just know all the costs and have a better relationship with the manufacturer than he does at this point so I know I could easily supplement my income with a minimal amount of effort. I am not looking to get on the fortune 500, just build a little capital.

Thanks for your input!
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sounds good - the adcom will take ave salary in China into consideration so no worries there. Good luck with your app!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot