Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Assumptions [#permalink]
lamode wrote:
One of the biggest weaknesses of the test is handling assumptions. Sometimes the answer to a question is wrong because "you can't assume..."
Other times, you need to make assumptions to get to the right answer.

With a properly written test this wouldn't be an issue but this is the reality you have to deal with.

How do people manage this issue?

you never need to 'make assumptions' to get the right answer. ALL the information you need will be there for you in some form. there may be extra information. especially regarding quant or IR, you definitely CANNOT make 'assumptions'; any logic gaps must be in there or you're looking at it the wrong way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Is your concern focused more on IR or on CR?

I am not focusing just on one area, but this is something which has come up a few times as I practice. Sometimes you realize that there is room to make an assumption and you don't know whether you are expected to make that assumption or whether the question is trying to catch you out with the assumption.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Learning to identify (and define) assumptions is a big part of succeeding on the GMAT, in Business School and beyond. As such, you might want to be less 'combative' about how the Test is designed and more focused on learning to use that design to your advantage.

Not trying to be 'combative', really. Just hoping to learn from the forum's combined wisdom :wink:

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
1) How long have you been studying?
2) What resources have you been using?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) What is your overall score goal?
Rich

Have been studying nearly a week. Am shooting for 700+. This question was from the Kaplan free practice test which I did today (scored 710, but no idea how that might relate to a real test).
Am using a combination of resources. Still discovering them, to be honest, but this site has been one of the best finds so far.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lamode,

If you really have been studying for just 1 week, then this practice CAT score is fantastic (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then you're in a great position to hit your score goal. Depending on when you're planning to take you're official GMAT, you likely have plenty of additional time to hone your skills and improve. As you continue to study, it's important to make sure that you take your CATs in as realistic and test-like fashion as possible.

1) You didn't state it in your last post, but when are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
1) You didn't state it in your last post, but when are you planning to take the GMAT?

By the end of Feb. My first choice of program has a deadline of March 8.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lamode,

Your situation is somewhat rare - you've scored exceptionally well on your first CAT, but you have a limited study timeframe (about 1 month) to improve. With the time that you have, you really have to focus on the 'reality' of Test Day. To that end, you MUST make sure that each CAT that you take is approached in the most realistic way possible (so take the FULL CAT, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). Some Test Takers go 'CAT crazy' and take far too many CATs in a short period of time - you should plan to take no more than 1 FULL CAT per week. The bulk of your study time should be spent on review, practice questions, etc.

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Hi, yes I took a full CAT, essay included. My Quant and Verbal scores were 47 and 40 respectively.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lamode,

With these Scaled Scores, you don't have a big 'weak spot', so you'll have to 'nitpick' your performances on each CAT you take for the little things that you could have done better. I would bet that there are at least a few questions though that you COULD/SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't because of a silly/little mistake. At this scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - making just a few of them (or eliminating them) are what would likely have a big influence your score.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
I would bet that there are at least a few questions though that you COULD/SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't because of a silly/little mistake. At this scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - making just a few of them (or eliminating them) are what would likely have a big influence your score.

That's exactly right. My main weakness with the Quant section is not that I am unfamiliar with the maths required. In fact, when I re-do the questions which I got wrong the first time, I get 75% of them right the second time, and usually within the time limit (and without any form of help). So I know that I am capable of getting most of the questions right, but panic and stress set in. I will try to overcome this issue before I will consider myself ready for the real thing. Thanks for your interest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lamode,

Given the right amount of time, you might be able to 'fix' all of these little issues on your own, but if you're looking for a more focused approach that emphasizes Tactics, patterns and the little details that we've discussing, then I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot