Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [46]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1752 [13]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [6]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: At 8am on Thursday, two workers, A and B, each start working independe [#permalink]
I started by taking ranges for B. A completed the work in 16hours while B completed the work by a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 12 hours. Working out with 2 values for B, I will be able to get the range of the time required for A and B to complete the work together which comes out to be 48/9 and 48/7 hours i.e 5.4 hours (Thursday 1:24 PM) and 6.85 hours ( Thursday 2:51 PM) . I am able to narrow down to A and B ... Since A is falling too much on one side of the beam i think i would go with B .. Please comment on my approach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: At 8am on Thursday, two workers, A and B, each start working independe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
To finish the work independently,

A - 16 hours
8 hours < B < 12hours

To finish the work together they will take,

16/3 hours < A +B < 48/7 hours

approximately, A and B working together take between 5.3hours and 6.8 hours to finish the work together.

Therefore ans is (C)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
At 8am on Thursday, two workers, A and B, each start working independently to build identical decorative lamps. Worker A completes her lamp at 5pm on Friday, while Worker B completes her lamp sometime during the morning on Friday. If both workers adhere to working hours of 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm each day, at which of the following times might the two workers have completed a single lamp had they worked together at their respective constant rates?

A. Thursday, 1:30pm
B. Thursday, 2:15pm
C. Thursday, 3:00pm
D. Thursday, 4:15pm
E. Friday, 12:00pm

Kudos for a correct solution.

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This is a combined work problem. The required work is one lamp and the question asks for the time taken, so you need to determine something about the rates of the workers.

Worker A’s rate can be calculated. She works for 2 full days, or 16 hours, to complete one lamp. Therefore, she completes 1/16 lamp per hour.

However, Worker B’s rate is trickier to determine. She takes one full day and some part of the next morning. The first day is 8 hours and the morning shift is 4 hours, so she works on the lamp for more than 8 hours and less than 12 hours. Therefore, her rate is greater than 1/12 lot per hour but less than 1/8 lot per hour.

Add this information to an RTW chart.
Remember that RT = W!
Attachment:
Screen-shot-2013-09-06-at-11.48.02-AM.png
Screen-shot-2013-09-06-at-11.48.02-AM.png [ 12.51 KiB | Viewed 9877 times ]

Because the work quantity is 1 lamp, express the time, t, as 1/Rate (that is, the reciprocal of the rate). The range of possible values for the time is 16/3 < t < 48/7. This translates to the following:

5 and 1/3 hours < t < 6 and 6/7 hours
1/3 of an hour is 20 minutes, so the lower boundary is 5 hours 20 minutes. 6/7 of an hour is a bit more annoying to calculate; check the answers first to see whether this is really necessary.

The workers start at 8am on Thursday and take a 1-hour break between 12 and 1pm, so if they worked together, they would complete the job after 2:20pm but a little before 4:00pm on Thursday. Only one answer choice fits: 3pm.

Alternatively, you could use estimation, though recognize that you might not always be able to narrow all the way down to one answer choice. In many cases, though, you can (including this case!). It’s surprising how often you can get to the right answer this way on rate questions.

When working together, the two workers must use at least the entire 4-hour shift on Thursday morning because the first answer choice is Thursday afternoon.

Worker A takes 16 hours to complete one lamp. Therefore, she completes 1/4 of a lamp during a 4-hour shift.

Worker B takes between 8 and 12 hours to complete one lamp. Therefore, she completes between 1/3 and 1/2 of a lamp during a 4-hour shift.

At the end of the Thursday morning shift, then, the workers have finished somewhere between (1/4 + 1/3) and (1/4 + 1/2) of a lamp, or between 7/12 and 3/4 of a lamp. They’ve completed more than half of the lamp during the first 4-hour shift, so they won’t need another complete 4-hour shift to finish; eliminate answer (E).

If they’ve completed 3/4 of the lamp, then they only have 1/4 to go. 1/4 of a lamp represents one-third of the work they did during the first 4 hours, so they’ll need another 4(1/3) hours to finish, or 1 hour 20 minutes. Therefore, they need at least until 2:20pm on Thursday afternoon. Eliminate answers (A) and (B).

One end of the possible time range is 2:20pm; the other end must include one of the two remaining answers but exclude the other one. Answer (C) must be it. If you want to prove it to yourself, finish off the estimation (but note that logic tells you that you can’t include D in the final range without including C!).

If the workers finish 7/12 of the lamp in 4 hours, then they need a bit less than the 4 hours of the second shift to finish off the other 5/12 of the lamp. Specifically, they need 5/7 of that second shift. That’s an annoying number. 5/8 is 62.5%. 5/6 is about 83%. So let’s call 5/7 about 70% (note that this is a bit of an underestimate).

75% of 4 hours is 3 hours, so the workers need a bit less than 3 hours after lunch to finish off the lamp. They’ll be done by 4p; eliminate answer (D).

The correct answer is (C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
thanks for a great question... and even clearer and better explanations to one and all.....Buel every post of yours deserves a kudo... thanks for the question
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
At 8am on Thursday, two workers, A and B, each start working independently to build identical decorative lamps. Worker A completes her lamp at 5pm on Friday, while Worker B completes her lamp sometime during the morning on Friday. If both workers adhere to working hours of 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm each day, at which of the following times might the two workers have completed a single lamp had they worked together at their respective constant rates?

A. Thursday, 1:30pm
B. Thursday, 2:15pm
C. Thursday, 3:00pm
D. Thursday, 4:15pm
E. Friday, 12:00pm

We see that a workday is 8 hours (4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon). Thus, it takes 2 workdays, or 16 hours, for worker A to complete her lamp, and therefore, her rate is 1/16. We are given that worker B completes her lamp sometime during the morning on Friday. Thus, it takes her more than 1 workday (or 8 hours) and less than 1 ½ workday (or 12 hours) to complete her lamp, and therefore, her rate is greater than 1/12 but less than 1/8. These two rates are the lower and upper bounds of worker B’s rate, respectively.

At the upper bound of worker B’s rate, if the two workers work together, it will take 1/(1/16 + 1/8) = 1/(1/16 + 2/16) = 1/(3/16) = 16/3 = 5 ⅓ hr = 5 hr 20 min to complete one single lamp. Therefore, they will finish by 2:20 pm on Thursday (4 hours from 8 am to 12 pm and 1 hr 20 min after 1 pm).

At the lower bound of worker B’s rate, if the two workers work together, it will take 1/(1/16 + 1/12) = 1/(3/48 + 4/48) = 1/(7/48) = 48/7 = 6 6/7 hr ≈ 6 hr 51 min to complete one single lamp. Therefore, they will finish by 3:51 pm on Thursday (4 hours from 8 am to 12 pm and 2 hr 51 min after 1 pm).

Since worker B’s rate is between 1/12 and 1/8, the time when they work together will between 2:20 pm and 3:51 pm on Thursday. The only time in the given answer choices is choice C: Thursday, 3:00 pm. Thus choice C is the correct answer.

Answer: C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Great question.

Absolutely loved Lucky2783's approach.

I solved using the same but sort of half baked. Just bumping it up
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts