Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [35]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [11]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: House in the Hamptons [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
calreg11 wrote:
I dont get why the answer is E and not C.
It is given to use that all guests had a house in either the hamptons or palm beach.
with that info we can use stmt 1 and say 1/2 the guest had a house in the hampton but not in pb and then with stmt 2 we have 1/3 of the guests had a house in PB but not in hamptons

Actually exactly the opposite of this is given: "NOT everyone at the fundraiser had a house in either the Hamptons or Palm Beach"

At a charity fundraiser, 180 of the guests had a house both in the Hamptons and in Palm Beach. If not everyone at the fundraiser had a house in either the Hamptons or Palm Beach, what is the ratio of the number of people who had a house in Palm Beach but not in the Hamptons to the number of people who had a house in the Hamptons but not in Palm Beach?

(1) One-half of the guests had a house in Palm Beach.
(2) Two-thirds of the guests had a house in the Hamptons

Look at the diagram below for (1)+(2):
Attachment:
Houses.png

We should find the ratio of yellow boxes, but with the info given it's not possible.

Answer: E.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel, a small doubt.

Why isn't the value in first row and first column i.e House in Palm Beach and House in Hamptons equal to 180?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sei wrote:

Why isn't the value in first row and first column i.e House in Palm Beach and House in Hamptons equal to 180?

Why should they? It's seems that you are not comfortable with a double set matrix, this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_aMa_W0o0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
sei wrote:

Why should they? It's seems that you are not comfortable with a double set matrix, this might help

Thank you very very much for the video link. :)

But I am still confused with regards to the answer given by you.

Please see attachment.

The language in the question - 180 of the guests had a house both in the Hamptons and in Palm Beach. Doesn't it seem to be the same as saying - there were 9 green trucks in the youtube example that you gave?
Attachments

cars.PNG
cars.PNG [ 89.27 KiB | Viewed 26603 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sei wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sei wrote:

Why should they? It's seems that you are not comfortable with a double set matrix, this might help

Thank you very very much for the video link. :)

But I am still confused with regards to the answer given by you.

Please see attachment.

The language in the question - 180 of the guests had a house both in the Hamptons and in Palm Beach. Doesn't it seem to be the same as saying - there were 9 green trucks in the youtube example that you gave?

I filled the entire matrix above (there was a typo, which is now edited). Hope it's clear now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hello Bunuel,

How do we know the ratio of the two in yellow cells is not solvable by just looking at it? I actually tried solving and of course got stuck at it but I thought because there is one degree of x in the equation it might actually lead to a ratio. How did you know it was unsolvable algebraically by just looking at it? Thank you in advance.

Bunuel wrote:
calreg11 wrote:
It is given to use that all guests had a house in either the hamptons or palm beach.
with that info we can use stmt 1 and say 1/2 the guest had a house in the hampton but not in pb and then with stmt 2 we have 1/3 of the guests had a house in PB but not in hamptons

Actually exactly the opposite of this is given: "NOT everyone at the fundraiser had a house in either the Hamptons or Palm Beach"

At a charity fundraiser, 180 of the guests had a house both in the Hamptons and in Palm Beach. If not everyone at the fundraiser had a house in either the Hamptons or Palm Beach, what is the ratio of the number of people who had a house in Palm Beach but not in the Hamptons to the number of people who had a house in the Hamptons but not in Palm Beach?

Attachment:
Houses.png

We should find the ratio of yellow boxes, but with the info given it's not possible.

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
minkathebest wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

How do we know the ratio of the two in yellow cells is not solvable by just looking at it? I actually tried solving and of course got stuck at it but I thought because there is one degree of x in the equation it might actually lead to a ratio. How did you know it was unsolvable algebraically by just looking at it? Thank you in advance.

Well, as you can see in the matrix all boxes are filled and we still have x in both of them which do not cancel when we make the ratio.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Re: At a charity fundraiser, 180 of the guests had a house both [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel!

the question can be solved better though venn diagram.

and answer would be "E" because neither total is given nor only Hampton houses or only palm beach houses are given.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
calreg11 wrote:

Attachment:
Houses.png

Hope it helps.

Bunuel you nail the question in the easiest way possible. I had already visited all the forums possible, was about to give up on my doubt till i found your explanation. You are the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I thought the answer was C...

The overlap of 2/3and 1/2 is 1/6 and we are given this is 180. From here you can figure out Hamptons & Palm Beach (540 & 720) and then take the ratio of Hamptons w/o 180 (360/540) and Palm Beach w/o 180 (540/720). The answer would then be (360/540)/(540/720). From what I understand, you don't need the number of people who don't have houses in either because the prompt doesn't ask for this info in the answer...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [4]
Send PM
Kudos