GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2008, 00:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:17) correct 47% (00:30) wrong based on 109 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine poisoning; furthermore, caffeine did not seem to bother Samuel Johnson, the great writer and lexicographer, who was reported to have drunk twenty-five cups of tea at one sitting.

(A) furthermore, caffeine did not seem to bother

(B) however, caffeine did not seem to bother

(C) however, caffeine did not seem to have bothered

(D) furthermore, caffeine did not seem to have bothered

(E) in addition, caffeine did not seem to bother

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Intern
Intern
Re: Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2008, 01:04
prasannar wrote:
Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine poisoning; furthermore, caffeine did not seem to bother Samuel Johnson, the great writer and lexicographer, who was reported to have drunk twenty-five cups of tea at one sitting.

I select B.

- Eliminate A,D and E. - not contradict conjunction.
- C : have bothered - unidiomatic;present perfect.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2008, 19:17
prasannar wrote:

Can anybody figure out what problem with "have bothered" in C? it is wrong grammar rule or change the meanning of the origin, if so please what it change? :lol: Thanks!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2008, 21:26
sondenso - have bothered is present perfect. Which means the verb occurred in the past and is going on right now. Have bothered would imply that it did not bother the guy in the past and it does not bother him now. But the sentence seems to be talking about historical figures, so present perfect is not right.

sondenso wrote:
prasannar wrote:

Can anybody figure out what problem with "have bothered" in C? it is wrong grammar rule or change the meanning of the origin, if so please what it change? :lol: Thanks!
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:50
The below explanation should help.

Quote:
There's a slight, very subtle difference in rhetorical meaning here, too: 'didn't seem to bother' reflects the views of a hypothetical observer who was actually there at the time of the mass caffeine ingestion, whereas 'didn't seem to have bothered' reflects the views of a hypothetical observer who took notes after the fact.

here's an analogy:

* if i'm looking at my table right now, i might say
there does not seem to be a knife in this setting.

* if i'm looking at a picture of a table setting from the past, i might say
there does not seem to have been a knife in this setting.
note:
- "does not seem" is in the present tense (since this is in my view - i'm an observer in the present)
- "to have bothered" shifts the focus to the time at which the table was set (a previous timeframe).

* if i'm talking about the situation in the picture - but from the narrative standpoint of an observer at that time - i'd say
there did not seem to be a knife in this setting.
- note that this is the same as the first example, but shifted into the past tense (since the observation was made in the past this time).

i can't shift the second sentence in the past - there did not seem to have been..., unless a past observer is observing a situation even farther in the past.
same goes for (c) in the problem at the beginning of this thread.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 22:09
There is difference in meaning conveyed by B and C.
B talks about past tense i.e. caffeine did not seem to bother Samuel. We know the caffeine did not bother him till some time in past but we do not know about his condition in present.

Before looking at C lets see - "does not seem to have bothered", this construction indicates that till present caffeine has not bothered Samuel.
C "did not seem to have bothered" is incorrect because "did" indicates past tense and "have bothered" indicates "present perfect" which are incompatible.
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 23:50
Quote:
B talks about past tense i.e. caffeine did not seem to bother Samuel. We know the caffeine did not bother him till some time in past but we do not know about his condition in present.

I am afraid that is incorrect. The construction 'did not seem to bother' is indeed different in meaning from the construction 'does not seem to have bothered'. However, the difference is that 'did not seem to bother' indicates that the observation that the caffeine did not bother Johnson was made in the past. The construction 'does not seem to have bothered' indicates that the observation that caffeine did not bother Johnson has been made in the present.

The two constructions have nothing to do with whether caffeine bothered Johnson only in the past or continues to bother him till the present. If the writer wished to distinguish between whether the caffeine affected Johnson or not, the right constructions would be 'however, caffeine did not bother.....' or 'however, caffeine has not bothered.....'. In the second case, the rest of the sentence too will need to be changed to the present tense.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2012, 00:33
GyanOne wrote:
Quote:

I am afraid that is incorrect. The construction 'did not seem to bother' is indeed different in meaning from the construction 'does not seem to have bothered'. However, the difference is that 'did not seem to bother' indicates that the observation that the caffeine did not bother Johnson was made in the past. The construction 'does not seem to have bothered' indicates that the observation that caffeine did not bother Johnson has been made in the present.

The two constructions have nothing to do with whether caffeine bothered Johnson only in the past or continues to bother him till the present. If the writer wished to distinguish between whether the caffeine affected Johnson or not, the right constructions would be 'however, caffeine did not bother.....' or 'however, caffeine has not bothered.....'. In the second case, the rest of the sentence too will need to be changed to the present tense.

I think i didn't express my emotions clearly. I meant exactly the same. When i said that "We know the caffeine did not bother him till some time in past but we do not know about his condition in present" i meant that statement was made in past and would account for effects till then.
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2012, 00:47
Quote:
I think i didn't express my emotions clearly. I meant exactly the same. When i said that "We know the caffeine did not bother him till some time in past but we do not know about his condition in present" i meant that statement was made in past and would account for effects till then.

No worries - it's important to note the placement of the verbs to decide how the meaning changes. In this case, it is the observation that was made in the past (or present, as the case may be).

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 09:41
Top Contributor

First, let us remember that it just not 'have bothered' in C; it is 'to have bothered, an infinitive. All infinitives are called verbal and they lack the sense of tense. They go by the tense of the verb that is near them. As such 'did not seem to have bothered is a past tense event and not a present perfect one.

Second, if 'to have bothered' is wrong, how can we take ' 'to have drunk', a similar structure in the unlined portion as correct? We can say that 'to have bothered' and to have drunk' have at least some semblance of infinitive parallelism while In B, the infinitive parallelism is lost.
But what is not convincing that here is a question without a source, an OA, and an OE.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine &nbs [#permalink] 17 May 2017, 09:41

Balzac drank more than fifty cups of coffee a day and died of caffeine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap