Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 19:07 It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Becoming a resident of the state the school is in?? [#permalink]
shaselai wrote:
I am doing an app and there's a permanent resident form that I could fill out... i do see a 5k savings for being a resident... but what happens if i do multiple of these forms since the deadline is before decision?

Usually state schools have a requirement that you must have lived in state (and can prove residence) for a specific amount of time before applying/enrolling to get the in-state tuition rate. Also, telling a school that you live in their state, when you actually don't, would also seem to go against that little bit at the end of the app where you affirm that all the information provided is true and accurate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A year and a day.

That's usually what schools base your residency off of. You must have lived in the state (with proof) for a year and a day, prior to the first day of classes. You fill out a residency form, and then they start digging into your history.

Schools know the game, so they dont base it simply off what date your lease says you moved in -- they want to see that you moved to the state for the long haul and not simply to get in-state tuition. Because of this, they'll usually start the 'year and a day' timer from when you really prove you want to be a resident -- you switch over your license, switch over your insurance, switch over your registration, get a job, etc. etc. etc. If they see your lease says July 1st 2010 move in but you switched over all of your resident items in September 2010, you might not get residency for an August 2011 class start date.

I hope this helps some.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Like the guys are saying, its not that you just fill it out and "become a resident"
you have to fill requirement....pay taxes, bills and live there for a year
Wherever you live right now is the only place you could say that about. Unless of course you live in DC. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but do DC residents get in state tuition everywhere?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
OH. sorry. i thought i fill the form then i become resident :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but do DC residents get in state tuition everywhere?

Nope. Residents of DC are not residents of any state. There is no reason for a state school to give them discounts since they have not paid any taxes to that state.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I moved prior to doing my MBA. I waited 1 year to get the in-state discount. I never had to provide any evidence. I filled out the form and it asked things such as the day you moved, date of your drivers license, etc. I'm sure they follow up with some people and get more documentation. The form mentioned that lying was fraud and they could try to recover the money.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but do DC residents get in state tuition everywhere?

Nope. Residents of DC are not residents of any state. There is no reason for a state school to give them discounts since they have not paid any taxes to that state.

That's not necessarily true. A lot of schools that are near the borders of other states offer in-state tuition to residents of neighboring counties in the other state. I'm not familiar with schools near DC, but I would check because there may be in-state opportunities.
GMAT Club Bot