Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:13 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the most difficult part of the verbal section (aside from SC) is that when you read a passage or a critical reasoning section, there are certain assumptions that you make in your mind, and then when you get to the question, it is difficult to select the right answer if you have made a false assumption. For instance if you read:

"The discontent of the crew eventually led to a mutiny, and the captain was shackled in the hold. The ship returned to shore and the sailors all disappeared into the jungle so they wouldn't have to sail again..."

I realize that's totally random, but follow me here, so after reading a section above, your mind may make certain assumptions like, "These sailors hated their captain," and when you get to the questions, you have these assumptions in mind that affect the answer you choose. But from reading the above, you don't really know that the sailors hated their captain. Maybe they were discontented because there was no food on the ship, and the captain wanted to complete their mission. Even though the crew loved the captain, they simply couldn't continue without food so they captured the captain and went to shore for food. But your mind makes assumptions when you read passages, so it's important to read questions carefully and think about what they're asking, and then go back to the reading passage and look at it totally objectively without any assumptions.

It sounds like your quant score was pretty good and it sounds like you have plenty of room for improvement on the verbal side. So when you attack these verbal questions, really focus on not jumping to conclusions and analyzing as objectively as possible.

If you have the Official Guide, make sure you spend lots of time going over verbal questions you get wrong, read the answer explanation and really understand why you chose the wrong answer. I don't think a tutor is always necessary, I think you can attack your studying with a more "aware" strategy and really improve your verbal score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
LastChance08 wrote:
You don't want a long tutor, eh? That's hilarious.

Yeah. its just so funny that I'm depressed as hell. Read tons of gmat books, studied a ton. Got 580-690 on every practice test. Took the test. Thought I did well and got a horrible 550. Thought I aced it. Got 46/20. Its funny that they don't tell you what u did wrong in Verbal. I have no clue. My worst verbal score was a 25. I'm sure I got at least 80 percent of the SC right. I had so much time on the reading that I read the passage over 5 times. I have no clue what I did wrong and if I can even do better. I thought I aced it. I'm depressed

I also suffered in a similar fashion ;In my first attempt i scored 49 on quant and a pallatry 22 on verbal. After the exam even I did not have a clue what had gone wrong. But then I decided to give verbal a completely fresh start took a break for a week and then schedule my second attempt was back attacking verbal. Keys to answering RC is being able to read RC actively. One should be to step into the authors shoe determine what the author would say after reading 1/3rd passage. You must be able to figure topic , scope,purpose and main idea of the passage after reading the 1/3rd of the passage.
For CR Kaplan strategy worked the best for me.
For SC use Manhattan SC in conjunction wih OG11 and OG10.

Hope this helps
Yogesh
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]