Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Asset Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30807 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Best way to go about quants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi nik256

Thank you for reaching out with your details.

Since you have mentioned that you are struggling with the fundamentals in some areas, I believe it’s very important that you fix up your conceptual and process gaps in a sub-section (say, Number Properties) before you move to Cementing your skills in that sub-section through structured practice. I have recorded a Personalized video explaining how you can go about accomplishing these objectives. Please watch:

nik256 - Personalised Video - Watch Video

Here is a summary of the video –

• Fix your foundationFirst identify your gaps and then work on those weaknesses (Conceptual/Application). This will eliminate redundancies in your approach and keep you from going over concepts you’re already doing well in.
  • Cement your skills – After building your foundation in that particular sub-section or topic, proceed to Cementing. Practice Medium and then Hard Questions, first in relaxed timing and then in standard timing (under 2 minutes per question). This will also allow you to identify any remaining topic-wise weaknesses. Visualizing your progress with data is another benefit of this laser-focused approach.
  • Check your Test Readiness – Once you’ve cemented your skills in all sub-sections of Quant, you must then proceed to the Test Readiness phase in which you practice multiple subsections together (essentially putting yourself in the exam mindset). Once you’ve done test readiness well, you can now proceed to taking full length mocks.

You can experience the tools that I have demonstrated in my video (foundations/quizzing platform) by going through e-GMAT’s free trial course (it even has a free SIGma-X mock, which comes with an Enhanced Score Report).

Motivation:

Here is a success story which I believe you’ll find helpful and inspiring,

- Javiera scored a stellar GMAT 770 (Q50) – 60-point improvement in 40 days

Hope this helps!

-Vaibhav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Asset Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi nik256

Thank you for reaching out with your details.

Since you have mentioned that you are struggling with the fundamentals in some areas, I believe it’s very important that you fix up your conceptual and process gaps in a sub-section (say, Number Properties) before you move to Cementing your skills in that sub-section through structured practice. I have recorded a Personalized video explaining how you can go about accomplishing these objectives. Please watch:

nik256 - Personalised Video - Watch Video

Here is a summary of the video –

• Fix your foundationFirst identify your gaps and then work on those weaknesses (Conceptual/Application). This will eliminate redundancies in your approach and keep you from going over concepts you’re already doing well in.
  • Cement your skills – After building your foundation in that particular sub-section or topic, proceed to Cementing. Practice Medium and then Hard Questions, first in relaxed timing and then in standard timing (under 2 minutes per question). This will also allow you to identify any remaining topic-wise weaknesses. Visualizing your progress with data is another benefit of this laser-focused approach.
  • Check your Test Readiness – Once you’ve cemented your skills in all sub-sections of Quant, you must then proceed to the Test Readiness phase in which you practice multiple subsections together (essentially putting yourself in the exam mindset). Once you’ve done test readiness well, you can now proceed to taking full length mocks.

You can experience the tools that I have demonstrated in my video (foundations/quizzing platform) by going through e-GMAT’s free trial course (it even has a free SIGma-X mock, which comes with an Enhanced Score Report).

Motivation:

Here is a success story which I believe you’ll find helpful and inspiring,

- Javiera scored a stellar GMAT 770 (Q50) – 60-point improvement in 40 days

Hope this helps!

-Vaibhav

Hii vaibhav

Extremely thankful for taking out time to respond to my queries.

Its actually very insightful and the context that you have provided have given me a clarity on how to approach the weaknesses.

Looking forward to putting all the learnings into my preparations.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
nik256 wrote:
Hello all,
I have booked my slot for 25th march

I wanted to understand how to go about quants

should I (learn from practicing questions) or (learn concepts and practice)

I have a Q48 and struggle a lot in the fundamentals of some areas.

TIA
nik256

Hi nik256

Here's a video that you may find helpful:

Identifying your weaker areas and working your weaker areas should ideally get you a score of 49/50. For this, you need to have a strong understanding of the concepts and also use the right methodology to solve the questions. The good thing about GMAT quant is it tests only specific types of questions from each topic. Knowing how to solve those types of questions will help you solidify your learning and score well on GMAT quant. You should consider spending more time on analysing the solutions of the questions from the topics in which you are weak. By analysing I mean, go through each step of the solution, identify the exact step at which you made the mistake, compare your approach with the right one and then learn the right approach. This should help.

If you are struggling with some specific topics, you may share the same for better understanding.

You can get some tips from Ruthwik's journey who scored 740 with a perfect Quant score:

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries! Would be happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot