Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:38 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wa [#permalink]
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

(A) on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone
(B) on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone
(C) solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided
(D) while the duplication of facilities should be avoided
(E) if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided

Experts please throw some light on the answer of this question.in subjunctive mood,in the if part modal verb should is used then how can would be used in then part?

please help.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sonusaini1 wrote:
Experts please throw some light on the answer of this question.in subjunctive mood,in the if part modal verb should is used then how can would be used in then part?

please help.

Thanks
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but if only because just means that we're about to introduce a reasonably (but not particularly) good reason for something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
isn't 'if' and 'because' redundant in E? Moreover E is looking very awkward. Can someone explain how to deal with such question when the right option looks the most awkward one :( :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
rashwiniyer wrote:
isn't 'if' and 'because' redundant in E? Moreover E is looking very awkward. Can someone explain how to deal with such question when the right option looks the most awkward one :( :(
If only because will seem a little weird if you haven't seen it before. The best thing to do here is to understand how it is used (here and here).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Hi Verbal Expert, I find this question extremely vague and even after spending 10 minutes trying to understand the answer options, I could make out the only difference between OA and the other options is the idiomatic phrase 'if only'. Could you please help me with more areas of how I can eliminate the other answer options. Also, do such questions come in the GMAT?
I would really appreciate your help! Thanks in advance! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wa [#permalink]
Quote:
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

Hi VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

In choice C, "in that" is used. I have learnt in some official question that "in that" means "because", and, hence, I chose choice C.
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided

I still could not decipher why choice E is right and why choice C is wrong. Secondly, how choice E is an displaying "If X, then Y" condition.

Kindly share your thoughts over this question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [5]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:
Quote:

In choice C, "in that" is used. I have learnt in some official question that "in that" means "because", and, hence, I chose choice C.
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided

I still could not decipher why choice E is right and why choice C is wrong. Secondly, how choice E is an displaying "If X, then Y" condition.

Let's forget about idiomatic usage for now and focus on the intent of the sentence.

Building large new hospitals will be a wasteful use of resources.
Why?
Because of a principle.
What is the principle?
"Duplication of facilities should be avoided"

That is, we should not duplicate facilities. The process of "duplication" should be avoided. No point providing the same facility at multiple points in an area. Instead, invest in providing different facilities in that area. Ok.

What do option (A), (B) and (C) say? They say that the principle is that "duplicated facilities should be avoided".
So a facility that is a duplicate of another (say a hospital exactly like another hospital) should be avoided. Does this mean that patients should avoid this hospital? Perhaps.

Hence, (A), (B) and (C) do not make a lot of sense.
(D) is also incorrect in its use of "while". (E) is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:

Hi thereisaFire,

I agree with KarishmaB's explanation. I would try not to take a call on the basis of the if only because/solely in that split.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:
Quote:

Hello thereisaFire,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "in that" and "because"do not mean the same thing; “in that” is used to reflect an intrinsic property and “because” is used to indicate a cause-effect relationship.

Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “solely in that duplicated facilities”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources only because facilities that have already been duplicated should be avoided; the intended meaning of the sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided.

Further, Option E does not use the "if X then Y" construction; it uses the idiomatic construction "if only because", which means "if for no other reason". Thus, the intended meaning involves a cause-effect relationship, meaning "because" is the correct usage.

To understand the concept of "Because" vs "In That" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
thereisaFire wrote:

Hi thereisaFire,

I agree with KarishmaB's explanation. I would try not to take a call on the basis of the if only because/solely in that split.

Dear AjiteshArun
I also narrowed to C and E. A and B present misplaced adverb at the end "alone", and D begins with contrast "While". What I cannot comprehend is why many call "E" conditional?

Past "Would" and present "should be avoided" depict what type of conditionals?
When we use 2nd conditional to represent future unreal the stricture as following,
If I were... I would .. - Past + Past - O.k.

Thanks beforehand.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
BLTN wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
thereisaFire wrote:

Hi thereisaFire,

Dear AjiteshArun
I also narrowed to C and E. A and B present misplaced adverb at the end "alone", and D begins with contrast "While". What I cannot comprehend is why many call "E" conditional?

Past "Would" and present "should be avoided" depict what type of conditionals?
When we use 2nd conditional to represent future unreal the stricture as following,
If I were... I would .. - Past + Past - O.k.

Thanks beforehand.

Hello BLTN,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option E the "if" phrase is a conditional marker that conveys the meaning "even if there is no other reason".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
@KarishmaB Could you please share your POE for this particular question. I would like to know the grammatical concept behind eliminating each option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Send PM
GMATNinja

Need your help to better understand this one!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts