Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: BW 2008 Rankings [#permalink]
The problem with rankings is that they are a self fulfilling prophecy.

No matter what happens, people will be shocked to see any of the traditional top five programs outside of the top five in a ranking. Theoretically (and I am in no way implying they do!), they could treat all their students terribly in order to "toughen them up for the real world", do nothing to help them find jobs because they "should learn to fend for themselves" or cancel all quantative courses because "the world is moving to soft skills", and people would applaud the innovation. If a lesser regarded school did the same thing, people would feel differently.

At the end of the day, unlike sports, where teams become better over time, it is very difficult for schools to climb the rankings over a certain level regardless of what they do. People will always say - that is a great school, but its not HBS (or substitute another ultra elite.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:
Well, I for one will be declining my Harvard offer (with full scholly) to get working on my Ross application for Round 3...

:wink:

Same here. I'll have a difficult time landing a position in Big 4 accounting out of HBS.

Haha both comments are brilliant!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I think it's more likely that the guy on BW is fooling everyone :-). Georgetown can't be at #9. MIT not among the top 10?

We'll find out soon.

On another note, can't wait for the election results!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
tmino wrote:
I think it's more likely that the guy on BW is fooling everyone :-). Georgetown can't be at #9. MIT not among the top 10?

We'll find out soon.

On another note, can't wait for the election results!

I agree that there must be something wrong with the results.

Since 1988, BW has rated Kellogg Top 3 without a miss. Kellogg is now 10?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
There's a thread on the BW forums.

alt-f4.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
BW-forum...thats a reliable source :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I actually consider myself a mildly intelligent person, and yet I simply can't figure out how to navigate through BW's forums. Is it just me??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Probably a lot of u know it. Just post what I collected last time abt ranking

Personally, i think US News has better methodology in terms of %. Anyway ranking is just a guideline. I like Ross, but this post really raised my eyebrows :roll:

MBA Ranking Methodology
BusinessWeek MBA Rankings
BusinessWeek bases its MBA rankings on:
• 45% on student satisfaction surveys of recent MBA Program graduates
• 45% on surveys of corporate recruiters based on their experiences with a school's graduates
• 10% on "intellectual capital" calculated by BusinessWeek, which tallies points for appearance of the faculty's research in 18 specific publications
Detailed MBA Rankings Methodology
BusinessWeek surveys MBA graduates and corporate recruiters, and measures faculty publications.
Every two years, BusinessWeek asks the graduating MBA classes at schools to complete an online survey. MBAs evaluate "everything from the quality of teaching to the efficacy of career placement offices" using a scale of 1-10 for each question. Responses from the graduating class account for half of a school's student satisfaction score. The other half of the MBA program rankings comes from the responses of the two previous BusinessWeek rankings classes, which carry a weight of 25% each. The resulting student satisfaction score receives a 45% weighting in the overall MBA program ranking.
BusinessWeek also asks corporate recruiters who hire MBAs to complete an online MBA ratings survey. Recruiters rate their top 20 schools based on their company's experiences with a school's graduates. Each school's total score is divided by the number of responding companies that recruit from that school.BusinessWeek reported that there tend to be greater differences among schools in the corporate survey, so recruiter opinion can have a greater impact on the overall ranking. In 2006, BusinessWeek no longer based each school's recruiter score on a single survey and, instead, combined the three most recent polls, as it does with the student surveys. The 2006 recruiter survey counts for 50% of the recruiter score, while the 2004 and 2002 surveys contribute 25% each. Combined, the three recruiter polls accounted for 45% of the final ranking. The recruiter score accounts for 45% of any MBA program's ranking score.
Finally, BusinessWeek calculates each school's "intellectual capital" rating by tallying faculty's publications in 18 publications, and adds points if The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal or BusinessWeek reviewed a professor's book. Tallies are adjusted for faculty size. The intellectual capital score accounts for 10% of a school's MBA ranking.

U.S. News & World Report MBA Rankings
U.S. News & World Report bases its MBA rankings:
• 25% on ratings by business school deans and MBA program directors
• 15% on ratings by recruiters of the schools at which they recruit
• 35% on placement statistics provided by each school
• 25% on school-reported "selectivity", the percentage of applicants the school accepts for admission
U.S. News & World Report sends surveys to all accredited MBA programs. The annual MBA ranking includes:
• Surveys of deans and MBA program directors who rate programs (25% of the overall ranking)
• Corporate recruiters rate the programs where they recruit (15% of the overall MBA ranking)
• "Statistical indicators," which include placement success (35% of the overall MBA ranking) and student selectivity (25% of the overall MBA ranking)
Specialty MBA rankings are based solely on ratings by deans and program directors, who can list up to 10 MBA programs for excellence in each area listed. The 10 schools receiving the most votes appear in the ranking.
The Wall Street Journal MBA Rankings
• The Wall Street Journal bases its MBA program rankings 100% on surveys of recruiters' perceptions of the MBA programs from which they recruit.
The ranking components for all schools measured in the 2007 survey include three elements: perception of the school and its students (21 attributes); intended future supportive behavior toward that school; and mass appeal. For national and regional schools, mass appeal is defined as the total number of respondents who recruit MBA graduates from that school. For international schools, mass appeal is defined as the number of countries in which the school's recruiters are based.
Each of these three components - perception, supportive behavior and mass appeal - accounts for one-third of the overall 2007 rank. The 2007 ranking of schools that were ranked in 2006 and remained within the same cluster is based on an average of the 2007 and 2006 rank. For schools that are new to the MBA program ranking survey or moved between clusters, the ranking is based on 2007 results only.

Financial Times MBA Rankings
The Financial Times bases its MBA rankings:
• 55% on career progression by surveys of alumni, with salary data as the largest measure
• 25% on diversity of faculty, students and board members and the international experience of students, by surveys completed by the schools themselves
• 20% on research, calculated by the Financial Times
Detailed MBA Ranking Methodology
The Financial Times measures three areas in its annual MBA ranking:
• Career progression
• Diversity of faculty, students and board members, and the international experience of MBA students
• Research
The Financial Times sends a questionnaire to alumni three years after graduation to chart their progress from pre-MBA program, through graduation and into the workplace. Their "career progress," for which the salary data is the largest measure, accounts for 55% of the MBA ranking.
Each school completes a survey, which measures diversity of faculty, advisory board members and students, and international experiences of the MBA students. These diversity and international measures account for 25% of the overall MBA program ranking.
Finally, the Financial Times rates each school for “ideas generation,” which accounts for 20% of the weighting of the overall Financial Times ranking. This research ranking is based on a rating of faculty publications in 40 international academic and practitioner journals (10%); the percentage of faculty with doctoral degrees (5%); and the number of doctoral graduates from the last three academic years with additional weighting for graduates who took faculty positions at one of the top 50 schools in the most recent FT ranking (5%).

Forbes MBA Rankings
Forbes ranks return on investment of MBA programs based on:
• Average 5-year increase in compensation compared to pre-MBA salary for each school's graduates
• Cost of each MBA program, including estimated foregone salary
Forbes ranks "return on investment" for MBA programs. For its most recent MBA program ranking, which was released in 2007, Forbes surveyed 2002 graduates of 102 MBA programs around the world.
To determine the five-year MBA gain, Forbes asked alumni for their pre-M.B.A. salaries as well as compensation figures for three of the first five years after getting their degrees. Forbes compared their post-M.B.A. compensation with their opportunity cost (tuition and forgone salary while in school) and what they would have made had they stayed in their old jobs. Forbes adjusted for cost-of-living expenses and discounted the earnings gains, using a rate tied to money market yields.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Wasn't it supposed to be released yesterday? Anybody seen it yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
mba07 wrote:
Wasn't it supposed to be released yesterday? Anybody seen it yet?

The release got pushed back to next Thursday the 13th at 5pm EST.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
They are having some sort of event, with a chat where they reveal the answers. I can't find the link right now, but if someone has it that would be great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
dharmabum wrote:
They are having some sort of event, with a chat where they reveal the answers. I can't find the link right now, but if someone has it that would be great.

This is the only article I've seen:

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 518887.htm

I'm sure they'll announce logistics on BW.com when we get closer...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2