Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32984 [6]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [3]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: By 1915 events of World War I were already involving the United States [#permalink]
please explain answer of second and third question of thus passage
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32984 [0]
Send PM
Re: By 1915 events of World War I were already involving the United States [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vivek_01 wrote:

Explanation

2. We can conclude from the passage that most citizens of the United States in 1917 were

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

(A) Totally opposed to war with Germany:
This option is not correct because it contradicts the information provided in the passage. The passage does not mention that most citizens were totally opposed to war with Germany. Instead, it states that there were different opinions among Americans, with some advocating for war and others wanting to maintain neutrality.

(B) In favor of war before Wilson was:
This option is correct. The passage indicates that there were people, mostly in the East, who wanted to wage a preventive war against Germany. These individuals, led by figures like Theodore Roosevelt, were in favor of going to war with Germany even before President Wilson changed his stance and asked Congress to declare war. This suggests that there was a segment of the population that supported war before Wilson did.

(C) Willing to accept war after Wilson persuaded them:
This option is not supported by the passage. While the passage mentions that Wilson eventually asked Congress to declare war on Germany, it does not provide evidence that he persuaded the majority of Americans to accept war. Instead, it mentions a growing majority of Americans supporting war as Germany's actions escalated, but it doesn't attribute this change solely to Wilson's persuasion.

(D) Neutral:
This option is not correct. While the United States was initially neutral, the passage clearly states that the country eventually declared war on Germany. This indicates that neutrality was not maintained, and the citizens' stance shifted from neutrality to supporting war.

(E) Trying to avoid war:
This option is partially correct but not the best answer. As mentioned earlier, most citizens were initially trying to avoid war, especially in the Midwest and within the Democratic Party, where there was strong sentiment in favor of maintaining United States neutrality. However, the passage also highlights that there were people, particularly in the East, who wanted to wage a preventive war against Germany. Therefore, the option (B) is a more accurate representation of the different sentiments among Americans.

In summary, option (B) is correct because it aligns with the passage's mention of individuals who wanted war with Germany before President Wilson's change in stance, while the other options either do not have sufficient support or contradict the information provided in the passage.

Answer: B
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
vivek_01 wrote:

Explanation

3. The last event in the series of happenings that led to a declaration of war against Germany was

Difficulty Level: 750+

Explanation

To answer the question correctly, we need to identify the last event in the series of happenings that led to a declaration of war against Germany based on the information provided in the passage.

Let's analyze the events chronologically:

1915: The events of World War I were involving the United States and threatening its neutrality. The sinking of the British liner Lusitania by a German submarine caused resentment among Americans, and President Wilson frequently deplored the use of submarines by Germany against the United States.

President Wilson's stance: Wilson wanted to maintain United States neutrality, representing the strong feeling in the country, notably in the Midwest and the Democratic Party, that neutrality should be maintained. However, there were people, mostly in the East, who wanted to wage a preventive war against Germany, and they attacked Wilson for his inaction.

1917: Germany resumed unrestricted submarine warfare. In February, the Zimmerman https://gmatclub.com/chat was uncovered, revealing Germany's attempt to involve Mexico in a war against the United States.

March 1917: Several American merchant ships were sunk by German submarines.

Wilson's action: As a result of the escalating events and a growing majority of Americans supporting war, Wilson asked Congress to declare war on Germany.

The correct answer is (C) Wilson's war message to Congress. This event represents the final action that led to the declaration of war against Germany. The Zimmerman https://gmatclub.com/chat and the sinking of American merchant ships were important events that contributed to the shift in public opinion and increased tensions between the United States and Germany. However, it was Wilson's request to Congress to declare war that marked the official entry of the United States into World War I.

To summarize:

(A) The Zimmerman https://gmatclub.com/chat:
Occurred in February 1917, before Wilson's war message to Congress.

(B) Attacks on U.S. merchant ships:
Occurred in March 1917, before Wilson's war message to Congress.

(C) Wilson's war message to Congress:
This was the final event that led to the declaration of war against Germany.

(D) A change in public opinion:
This is not a specific event mentioned in the passage, but it is true that a change in public opinion played a role in the decision to go to war.

(E) The sinking of the Lusitania:
This event occurred in 1915 and was an important incident that contributed to tensions between the United States and Germany but was not the last event before the declaration of war in 1917.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hello Sajjad,

Can I get a brief summary of the passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prob2303 wrote:
Hello Sajjad,

Can I get a brief summary of the passage?

­Long story short is that in 1915, the sinking of the Lusitania by a German submarine, resulting in over a hundred American deaths, led to resentment in the United States. Despite President Wilson's initial efforts to maintain neutrality, Germany's unrestricted submarine warfare and the Zimmerman https://gmatclub.com/chat's revelation prompted Wilson to break off relations. In 1917, after further provocations, Wilson asked Congress to declare war on Germany, marking the entry of the United States into World War I.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts