It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:22

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 83

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 44

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2012, 23:19
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
_________________

MGMAT CAT MATH http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 44

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 393

Kudos [?]: 1681 [0], given: 100

Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2012, 00:29
I'm not sure about the answer but methinks its B

"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations" needs to correctly modify who is applying these techniques; hence "a company's managers...

E I feel is wrong because the second clause has a "these", a pronoun that has no proper antecedent...

Kudos [?]: 1681 [0], given: 100

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 8 [2], given: 0

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2012, 03:36
2
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for B..these is the culprit in e

Kudos [?]: 8 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 08:36
option "b" is incorrect because "its" has no clear referrent , hence e is right . here "its" wrongly refers to company's products instead of company

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 183

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 4

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 13:14
I will go for B as well. the antecedent of its is company's. Its is a possessive adj so it can refer back to another possessive adj.
_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 19

GPA: 3.98
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 13:22
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.
_________________

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 35

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2012, 13:37
"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations" should modify "managers" who can apply the techniques, that eliminates A,C,D .

between B and E . E can be eliminated because of "these" which has no antecedent and lack of parallelism "both the short and long term".
So , B is the answer.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2385

Kudos [?]: 9433 [5], given: 348

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 06:12
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gomennassai wrote:
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.


Hi There,

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

Well, you are right that the correct answer choice (Choice B) includes an alien term “manager” which is not present in the original sentence. However, we must not just eliminate an answer choice just because it has a new word. We must evaluate the role of that word in the sentence. If the word enhances the meaning of the sentence, then we should accept it. If the new word introduces an error in the sentence then it is certainly a nuisance. Get rid of it.

In this sentence, introduction of “manager” is actually enhancing the sentence. The opening modifier now has a better entity to modify. It is clear that by applying... techniques, company’s managers can achieve something.

Choice A also has parallelism error also. Notice “both the short and long terms”. Here we have two markers, “both” and “and”. Both the markers must be followed by the same entity to maintain parallelism. “both” is followed by “the”. However, there is no “the” after “and”. To make it parallel, we need either “both the short and the long terms” or “both short and long terms”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9433 [5], given: 348

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8336 [3], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 08:41
3
This post received
KUDOS
The essence of a dangling modifier is the absence of the modified noun and we are required to bring it into the sentence, although it may not be there in the original. For example:

After frying in the pan, the entire lot of fish was eaten.

Who ate the fish? This is tricky and GOK; so this is a defective sentence. Now let’s make it more sensible by introducing a new factor namely the doer of the action or the modified noun of the participial modifier after frying in the pan.

After frying in the pan, the cook ate the entire lot of fish.

Now this sentence is better. Thus in dangling modifier cases, the introduction of the doer turns the sentence meaningful and straight. This is how the term manager has crept in royally and grammatically in the correct choice in the given text
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8336 [3], given: 366

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 243

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 54

Location: Hyderabad
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 10:45
Could anyone please tell where should is used ?
Plus why Its in B is right where ?
_________________

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 54

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 19

GPA: 3.98
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 16:50
Daagh and Shraddha(egmat) thank you for your explanations.
_________________

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 16

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2012, 20:22
egmat wrote:
gomennassai wrote:
I am going for A, simply because all other options have included "manager". What is the guarantee that managers are who are supposedly planning operations? Aren't we unnecessarily introducing a new term?

Just a BIG guess.


Hi There,

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

Well, you are right that the correct answer choice (Choice B) includes an alien term “manager” which is not present in the original sentence. However, we must not just eliminate an answer choice just because it has a new word. We must evaluate the role of that word in the sentence. If the word enhances the meaning of the sentence, then we should accept it. If the new word introduces an error in the sentence then it is certainly a nuisance. Get rid of it.

In this sentence, introduction of “manager” is actually enhancing the sentence. The opening modifier now has a better entity to modify. It is clear that by applying... techniques, company’s managers can achieve something.

Choice A also has parallelism error also. Notice “both the short and long terms”. Here we have two markers, “both” and “and”. Both the markers must be followed by the same entity to maintain parallelism. “both” is followed by “the”. However, there is no “the” after “and”. To make it parallel, we need either “both the short and the long terms” or “both short and long terms”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



I shortlisted B and E, can please help me with ans B / E

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to
each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
--> In this answer choice what is the antecedent for pronoun "its"?

e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of
these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
--> "these products" is refering to managers and not company, so dont think that right....

Regards,

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Sick of Refreshing Email
Joined: 10 Mar 2011
Posts: 97

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2012, 22:04
It's between B and E.

But what does 'its' refer to - company's managers or company's products - both are plural. I dont see "company" out there in option B.

E has "these".


By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term
_________________

Thanks
Sumeet
http://www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 113

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 17

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:09
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2385

Kudos [?]: 9433 [5], given: 348

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:15
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!


Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9433 [5], given: 348

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 63

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2013, 05:47
How does its refer to company instead of company's products

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 418

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 70

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2013, 06:23
"Its" can have either a possessive or a non-possessive noun as its antecedent, but the antecedent has to be singular.
Possibilities are:
company --> singular
managers --> plural
products --> plural
Thus, the only antecedent that "its" can have is "company".

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 70

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1645 [1], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2013, 12:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
alexBLR wrote:
By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.
a. it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms
b. a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals
c. it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term
d. it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals
e. managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term


here is the OE

This sentence begins with a modifier, yet leaves absent who will be applying optimization techniques (This is termed a "dangling" modifier.) Also, the sentence is unnecessarily wordy in its use of the phrases “ought to” and “in both the short and long terms.”

(A) This choice incorrectly repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. The sentence correctly places “a company’s managers” adjacent to the modifier such that the meaning is clear, and the sentence is otherwise concise.

(C) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. It also weakens the sentence by replacing the active voice with the passive voice in its use of “can be determined by company managers.” The sentence’s concluding use of “goals, both short and long term” is awkward.

(D) This answer does not correct the original modifier error. In this choice, the phrase “may be possible” is unnecessary and weakens the sentence. This choice also incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence.

(E) This sentence resolves the modifier issue, but incorrectly uses the word “these,” as the products have not been referenced earlier in the sentence. This choice is also wordy in its use of “ought to” and “in both the short and long term.”

HOPE IT HELPS
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1645 [1], given: 197

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2014
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 03:43
egmat wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I was also between stuck in the end between B and E but then E was knocked because of the parallelism error in both the x and the y, however, I want to understand isnt it referring back to Company and then I remember reading about possessive poison.

Please confirm!

Thanks in advance!


Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice E:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term.

In this sentence, along with the parallelism issue that you have mentioned, “each of these products” has no reference. What are these “each of these products”? Does the sentence contain a list of products to which this phrase can be referred? No. This reference error makes choice E incorrect.

Now let’s analyze the sentence with choice B:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals.

Pronoun “its” is a possessive noun. This means it must refer to a possessive noun. There is only one possessive noun in the sentence – “company’s”. So without any ambiguity, possessive “its” is referring to “company’s”. If we replace “its” with “company’s” we get the logical intended meaning of the sentence:

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet company’s short and long term goals.
Hence, this choice is error free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for detailed explanation. However, in Choice B:
"By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals."

--> I think the "company's" in this sentence plays the role of possessive adjective, hence, can't be consider as antecedent of "its".

Quote from GMAT Manhattan:

" The board is investigating several executives' compensation packages in order to determine how much may have been improperly awarded to them"[color=#ed1c24][/color]
--> This is considered WRONG because "them" cannot refer to "executives' ".

can you help to explain and differentiate these 2 cases?

Many thanks in advance :)
YL

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10200

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 23:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 23:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 100 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.