Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 557
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: By now.. I am wondering what has gone wrong with my verbal [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi levin343,

I'm sorry to hear that this 3rd attempt did not turn out better. To answer your immediate question: you CAN purchase an ESR for a 'Cancelled' Score - and that additional data could be really useful in assessing how you currently 'respond' to Test Day. Since you have now performed lower than expected on your last 2 Official GMATs, there might be some underlying issues with how you are approaching the Test. With a Score Goal of 690-720, you will have to make some fundamental changes to how you are approaching the GMAT

To properly plan out this next phase of your studies, we need to be really specific with the details about your prior studies. There are likely patterns in how you prepared for your three attempts - and if you developed any 'bad habits' during your prior studies, then we need to define those bad habits and fix them (meaning that we replace those bad habits with new 'good habits').

1) On what dates did you take each of your 3 Official GMATs? How did you score on each attempt (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) How long have you studied in total? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What specific application deadlines are you considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
By now.. I am wondering what has gone wrong with my verbal [#permalink]
To go from a V40 to V28 is quite a difference. Were the V40s on Official Mocks? Had you seen any of the questions for Official Mocks 1 and 2 beforehand?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
levin343 wrote:
I have taken GMAT thrice - twice online (2nd one was a big crash and burn - due to some desk arrangement issue) and the third one was today on site. Generally, my Quant has been very aligned with my practice test at around 46-48. My Verbal is a total upside down. In my Practice Test - three practice tests done so far- Verbal has been consistent at V40. While I am not expecting actual test at V40 - I am expecting somewhere around there and yet today it was at V28 - a total shame.

now I have cancelled my score at today is at 610 below my 1st attempt at 640. But the benefit of on site test is the ESR on the exam. Do you think that is worth to take? can it be applicable on the cancelled score?

Hi levin343,

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. You can definitely improve your score if you identify what went wrong and work on improving that. Let me help you here.

What could have gone wrong?

You could score V40 in mocks but could not reflect the same on the actual test. There could be a couple of reasons for it. Please go through the article below to understand it better.

Scored Well on Mocks but Failed Miserably on the Actual Test?

GMAT Verbal is mostly about the logical approach and the methodology. Once you learn the concepts, it's important to learn the right approach to solve questions before you start practicing them. There are certain skills to master for each module on Verbal. For example, SC questions test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it' important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. And to do that, you need to master the comprehension skill.

Before I can suggest you anything, I need to know

• your weak areas
  • your study strategy
  • your approach of solving questions

This information will help me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. Please schedule a call with me using the link below so that we can have a detailed discussion on the same.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
just got the ESR. May be just for sharing..
Attachments

Erwin Thio_393048572_ESR.pdf [502.95 KiB]
Downloaded 156 times

Scoreleap Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Levin,
I totally empathize on your tough luck on not improving your score on your 3rd GMAT attempt. And first thing, you can not take your ESR on the exam once you have cancelled the score, you will have to reinstate that 3rd attempt to get the ESR for it. After scoring V 40 consistently on mocks and going to a V 28 , needs detailed analysis and hence taking the ESR will be ideal if you want to really give a check on your flaws and improve your GMAT score. Levin can you update me from where you had taken the mock tests from, is it from MBA. com or from other resources. Also once you have received the ESR report , you can mail it to me for in-detailed analysis.
You can reach me on mail at - bharath@scoreleap.in
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
levin343 wrote:

Hi levin343,

The surprising thing about your ESR is that you made only 9 mistakes in the verbal section. You started off very well (2 incorrect, 2 incorrect, 1 incorrect in the first three quarters) but then (under time pressure?) got 4 questions wrong in the last quarter. Clearly, one of the things you may need to work on is time management. Your accuracy in the last quarter may have been even lower if you hadn't been able to get through the third quarter with an average time of 1:06 (and an accuracy of 86%, which is excellent). That said, a 2, 2, 1, 4 performance leading to a V28 is still... odd (9 is actually pretty good, and it is possible even with 13-14 mistakes to end up with V32 or more). Normally, we'd say that the GMAT is an adaptive test, and that the number of mistakes isn't a reliable indicator of final score, but V28 with just 9 mistakes is tough. For what it's worth, I've been seeing quite a few ESRs like this even at the high end of the score scale (1 mistake: V47, 2 mistakes, V45).

The only reason I can think of for what happened to you is that the GMAT gave you a bunch of easy questions, and that's why the "penalty" for 9 mistakes was so great. Try to work on your time management so that you don't face time pressure towards the end of your test.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
levin343 wrote:

Hi levin343,

The surprising thing about your ESR is that you made only 9 mistakes in the verbal section. You started off very well (2 incorrect, 2 incorrect, 1 incorrect in the first three quarters) but then (under time pressure?) got 4 questions wrong in the last quarter. Clearly, one of the things you may need to work on is time management. Your accuracy in the last quarter may have been even lower if you hadn't been able to get through the third quarter with an average time of 1:06 (and an accuracy of 86%, which is excellent). That said, a 2, 2, 1, 4 performance leading to a V28 is still... odd (9 is actually pretty good, and it is possible even with 13-14 mistakes to end up with V32 or more). Normally, we'd say that the GMAT is an adaptive test, and that the number of mistakes isn't a reliable indicator of final score, but V28 with just 9 mistakes is tough. For what it's worth, I've been seeing quite a few ESRs like this even at the high end of the score scale (1 mistake: V47, 2 mistakes, V45).

The only reason I can think of for what happened to you is that the GMAT gave you a bunch of easy questions, and that's why the "penalty" for 9 mistakes was so great. Try to work on your time management so that you don't face time pressure towards the end of your test.

Hi AjiteshArun and other experts

His level of difficulty per questions fall from 1st Quadrant to 2nd Quadrant but never reached to the same level as in 1st Quadrant .
I am confused how is it possible because he has only 4 mistakes in 1st 2Quadrants.

In what scenarios, is this possible? Does it mean he had all wrongs or only 1 correct from 8th to 11th questions? Was it RC? All straight wrongs in RC together have such a heavy penalty? Even in such a scenario , he did next 7 correct straights(12th to 18th).
2 mistakes per quarter is very normal scenarios for V35 around scores. is n't it?

What lesson can we learn from here?
Do all RCs correct?

levin343 : Its very unfortunate that your mistakes and score do not seem to be of average case. Do you remember when did you get RCs? What was last section consist of ? ( sometimes last 6-7 are RCs).
I suspect that you might have got most straight mistakes in RCs and other sections could not build previous level of difficulty again. I read GMAT give high priority to RCs and high penalty to straight wrongs.
levin343 : what is your average score in verbal in general ( GMATprep or previous GMAT exam score)?

What experts have to say on this? Please suggest .
Attachments

ESR.png
ESR.png [ 155.47 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi levin343,

Are you sure that you finished the Verbal section, and confirmed the final answer? There is a "significant" penalty for not finishing, according to GMAC, and this could help explain your low Verbal score with only 9 questions incorrect.

See this thread for more info:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/v42-with-onl ... l#p2844651

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 22 Aug 2021, 06:21.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 22 Aug 2021, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi levin343,

Are you sure that you finished the Verbal section, and confirmed the final answer? There is a "significant" penalty for not finishing, according to GMAC, and this could help explain your low Verbal score with only 9 questions incorrect better than any of these difficulty-level theories.

See this thread for more info:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/v42-with-onl ... l#p2844651

I won't get into whether the OP finished the verbal section or not, though the ESR clearly indicates that all 36 questions in the verbal section were completed. I am more concerned about what someone preparing for the GMAT would think after seeing the word significant used to justify what is a very extreme position.

Adding my reply to the post you linked to.

AjiteshArun wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Aha, we have discovered the problem, which is that you did not confirm the final answer of the Verbal section, thus making the question automatically incorrect + triggering the penalty for not finishing.
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Unfortunately, I have more bad news for you: if you had simply confirmed that last answer on Verbal—whether or not you answered it correctly—then you would have avoided the guessing penalty and likely scored V46 at worst, V49 at best.

Hi mcelroytutoring,

There's a lot that I disagree with in your post, but I wanted to point out that the GMAC has mentioned in its meetings with test prep professionals that the penalty is nowhere near as great as you seem to think it is. I absolutely ask my students to complete the quantitative and verbal sections, but I am concerned that a test taker may be left with the wrong impression after reading your post, as it seems to paint the GMAT as being unfair. To be very clear, I don't think that your position (that massive score drops in the verbal section can be attributed solely to leaving one question) is correct.

There's a GMAC research document in the public domain that says the same thing the GMAC says privately, but it's from 2009. I expect you are aware that the GMAT algorithm hasn't changed, so the numbers below should be what we'd expect given the same question pool.

(a) 63.6% of all high ability test takers will not see any difference in their verbal scale score if they leave one question (instead of guessing)
(b) 28.1% will see their score drop by just one point
(c) 5.4% will see their score drop by 2 points
(d) 0.0% will see their score drop by 3 or more points
and
(e) 2.7% will actually see their score increase by 1 point

I'd be happy to hear your take on this.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Good point! It does say "you completed 36 questions in the Verbal section" in the blue "Summary" part of OP's (attached) ESR, so this means they must have confirmed their final answer.

This also means that the 2-wrong V42 ESR must actually say "you completed 35 questions on Verbal" instead. I'm going to try to verify that fact with OP, but so far they haven't posted that particular portion of their ESR.

I'm not sure why you are taking issue with the term "significant penalty," as those are GMAC's words, not mine. See below:

For more information, see this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-v46-to- ... 54776.html
GMAT Club Bot