Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS (R2-ding), NYU (R2-ding), Yale
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
did they already filled in or what.. for the last few weeks there have been only dings w/o interviews..
under review on 21sts started received dings so I guess i will have to wait 10 days to get mine.. (went under review on the 31st)..

I am going to send an ED next year on the 1st of August and will have my acceptance by october=)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Also if you're too scared to login and see your status change (like I was), Columbia sends another email within 24 hrs that specifically invites you for the interview and gives you the website for scheduling. Good luck to those waiting! I'm at the agonizing period between the interview and my status change to interview complete.. I probably will wish I was back here when I get my ding in a few weeks, but RD has definitely been rough on many.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q47  V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
eekkkk people who submitted 1/5 and under review 1/21 are getting notified i haven't heard anything and those are my dates. wont be long i hope!
ua87 wrote:
did they already filled in or what.. for the last few weeks there have been only dings w/o interviews..
under review on 21sts started received dings so I guess i will have to wait 10 days to get mine.. (went under review on the 31st)..

I am going to send an ED next year on the 1st of August and will have my acceptance by october=)

looks like it could be alot more than 10 days they didn't notify everyone who submitted then today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I just got an email from Columbia (SIPA) with the subject: "Admissions Committee Review Update".

That definitely took several weeks off of my life.

whew - I think I might be a little on edge.

Originally posted by saritalr on 28 Feb 2011, 17:31.
Last edited by saritalr on 28 Feb 2011, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:NYU,Columbia,LBS,Wharton,INSEAD
 Q44  V34 GMAT 2: 690  Q45  V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Just got the ding. Wow it really hurts.......

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V40
Send PM
you just got it now? this late? sorry to hear good luck on everything else, mind sharing when u went under review?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Booth(Int - Waitlist-R2), Kellogg (Int-admit-R2), CBS (Ding-RD), Yale(admit-R2), Haas(int-R3)
 Q48  V38
WE 1: 6 years - Healthcare Consulting
Send PM
kraynro wrote:
eekkkk people who submitted 1/5 and under review 1/21 are getting notified i haven't heard anything and those are my dates. wont be long i hope!
ua87 wrote:

looks like it could be alot more than 10 days they didn't notify everyone who submitted then today.

I'm in the same boat...went under review on 1/21 and trying to be as patient as possible with the process. One would think that they may have figured out whether they want to interview an applicant after "reviewing" his/her application for 5 weeks.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V40
Send PM
yea i hear ya, better than a ding i guess
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
anyone interview in January and still waiting for a decision? My app went complete on 1/24. The wait has been brutal.
Intern
Intern
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
runnergirl wrote:
anyone interview in January and still waiting for a decision? My app went complete on 1/24. The wait has been brutal.

I interviewed Jan 31 and went interview complete Feb 1. It has been a long wait, I wonder what they are waiting for to give us our decisions....
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Got my ding today around 4.30 pm. That makes it 0 out of 6 for this application season. 2 major admission consulting companies (rated the top 2 on admissions411) did not think I have anything fundamentally wrong with my applications that I did not even receive 1 interview. Well...such is destiny. Time to pull up the socks and re-apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
crackalack wrote:
wschaeff wrote:
crackalack wrote:

It really is nuts, isn't it? For those of us that applied in the week before the Fellowship deadline, this past month has been an absolute bloodbath. Had I known in advance, I still wouldn't have applied ED but come on... Can you really call it "Regular Decision" if it accounts for less than half of admits?

Is it true that more than of the admits come from ED? I realize that CBS uses ED to get their yield up and improve their ranking, but wow... I chose not to apply ED to CBS because I like to have flexibility in my decision making. Like, maybe I'll get money at another school and that would influence my decision.

No, I have no idea if it's true. I was just exaggerating for effect, but...It worked! Got my first Kudo! Let's try it some more!
Warning: Everything in this post is speculative, self-entitled and probably flat wrong.

I have been scouring these boards for CBS clues over the last few months, and I don't think I've seen any figures on the actual ED-RD % breakdown. On the BW blog I once saw an admissions rep say that "the numbers aren't published, but you have the same overall chance of admission in either round." As my grandmother used to say, "The numbers aren't published, but that's probably a load of malarkey." I applied early January RD for precisely the same reasons as wschaeff and a lot of others. I incorrectly assumed there was a discrete amount of spots allocated to RD and ED applicants (like college applications, and 90% of B School admission rounds).

But as it turns out, Columbia seems to have 3 rounds, each of which is fluid. Check it - Round 1: ED, Round 2: RD (September - December), Round 3: RD (December - April). I thought I was applying in something like a Round 2, because I got it into my head that any RD app submitted before the fellowship deadline had the same odds. Better research (or an admissions consultant) would have told me that significantly better RD odds are in the window right after ED. Now the ding-parade has really started cruising since that handful of early January applicants got invites (nearly all on Feb 16, see page 171). I made flawed assumptions, and that's my fault. I surely can't call Columbia disingenuous, even if they are trying to jack up their yield. But if not misleading, the CBS admissions process suffers from a gross lack of clarity and transparency.

It is one of the best business schools in the world. I would do just about anything to get a Columbia MBA. Period. But this here forum has at least 50(!) MORE PAGES than Stanford, HBS, Booth, McCombs, Haas, Wharton, Tuck or any other forum. That's 1,000 more rants, questions, unanswered prayers and pleas than any comparable B-School! What could possibly account for such a difference? The fact that we can't go to the source to get even a modicum of insight into this long, expensive and highly stressful process! Every one of these places is a black box, but CBS goes above and beyond to torture its applicants with uncertainty. Maybe if we were given a bit more information, both prospectively and after submission, I wouldn't spend 20 minutes crafting an uninformed internet diatribe against an institution I want so badly to be a part of.

I'm blowing in the wind here, guys. I just need some clarity.

Oh, and if I get an interview invite tomorrow, I will burn this post to the ground faster than you can say Morningside Heights. :)

I attended a CBS admissions event in October. The presenter (I believe he was the dean of admissions) said that there's no difference between an ED applicant's chances of acceptance and a RD applicant's, as long as the RD applicant submits his/her app before Dec 15.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
makdaddy49 wrote:
I attended a CBS admissions event in October. The presenter (I believe he was the dean of admissions) said that there's no difference between an ED applicant's chances of acceptance and a RD applicant's, as long as the RD applicant submits his/her app before Dec 15.

Oh my god...like many others here on GC I treated the 5th of January as some sort of r2 deadline...that was probably lethal to all of us who got dinged within the last two weeks. Drives me nuts, especially regarding the fact that I only waited until Jan 5th to avoid getting a sudden idea for my essays and having already submitted my application. I just wonder why CBS does not make the process more transparent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
PGS17 wrote:
makdaddy49 wrote:

Oh my god...like many others here on GC I treated the 5th of January as some sort of r2 deadline...that was probably lethal to all of us who got dinged within the last two weeks. Drives me nuts, especially regarding the fact that I only waited until Jan 5th to avoid getting a sudden idea for my essays and having already submitted my application. I just wonder why CBS does not make the process more transparent.

my guess is because they are very concerned about yield and such. . .
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
PGS17 wrote:
makdaddy49 wrote:

I am especially angry because its not like i was so busy before Dec 15. I was basically in an application lul between mid Oct and early December..wish I just got my app in faster.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate Development & Finance / Social Enterprise
Schools:Columbia, NYU, USC
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Architecture and Urban Design Firm / 3yrs
WE 2: International Development NGO / 1 yr
WE 3: Non-Profit Community Development Corporation / 2yrs
Send PM
since this thread has been so beneficial to my own peace of mind re: the admissions process, i thought i'd chime in with my own status. thanks to all who posted before, it has been really helpful in navigating the admissions process. to those who have been dinged, i feel for you. to those who are still waiting, don't lose hope!

it's obvious to me that my numbers and stats are not very impressive (as you can see in my profile), so i'm very surprised at the recent posters who have been dinged in the past week. my timeline has been as follows: i submitted on 1/5, underwent review on 1/21, and have yet to hear any response from cbs thus far.

i'm coming from an architecture/non-profit background and made it very clear in my essays that an mba would help me make a necessary career shift. i think it's this background that has kept my application from being waived, so to all those who are considering reapplying, i think the essays are key, key, key. here's hoping to good news.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
formandstructure wrote:
since this thread has been so beneficial to my own peace of mind re: the admissions process, i thought i'd chime in with my own status. thanks to all who posted before, it has been really helpful in navigating the admissions process. to those who have been dinged, i feel for you. to those who are still waiting, don't lose hope!

it's obvious to me that my numbers and stats are not very impressive (as you can see in my profile), so i'm very surprised at the recent posters who have been dinged in the past week. my timeline has been as follows: i submitted on 1/5, underwent review on 1/21, and have yet to hear any response from cbs thus far.

i'm coming from an architecture/non-profit background and made it very clear in my essays that an mba would help me make a necessary career shift. i think it's this background that has kept my application from being waived, so to all those who are considering reapplying, i think the essays are key, key, key. here's hoping to good news.

I agree with this assessment. I don't have impressive stats either, and I think it was my essays that persuaded them. . . Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  181   182   183   184   185  ...  198