Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
btk wrote:
To admits -
did anyone receive scholarship info or ask the admissions office anything about it? I don't want to bug them before receiving my package, but I have no idea when people find out whether they received a scholarship or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I was not notified of any scholarship info. From what I've read, I think they usually tell the admits during the phone call but that might not be the case this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
adityakajaria wrote:
hi everyone. Do we need to report the gmat scores through the testing agency or self reported scores are sufficient?

You need to use the testing agency. Also, they will not update the status of your GMAT score report on your application to complete until the deadline passes and they start processing applications - even if the testing agency sends the score now, so don't worry about the awaiting status and give it a week or so after the deadline to change. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
yalie2011 wrote:
wow sorry istan. what was in yours? I guess it was just an envelope and not a box eh?

large envelope w/ admit letter and an SOM folder containing brochure, legal pad, and SOM pen.

anything missing?

thx.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
On the admitted students website, it states (for R1 admits):

Background Verification:
By Thursday, March 10: Verification authorization and fee due.

Apparently there are more details to come regarding this process in early Jan.

Happy new year everyone!
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
downtown wrote:
This question was posted a few months back but no response. Does Yale have any preferences on formatting (single or double spaced)? Also, I have a couple of my short responses split into 2 paragraphs... I'm guessing I should follow directions and smash them together. There are differing opinions on the forum. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

AFAIK, Yale doensn't specify a formatting preference. I think, like with most things, it's a matter of being reasonable. Personally, I used 12 pt TNR with 1.5 spacing.

As for the short answer questions, I ended up splitting one into two paragraphs. But I got waitlisted, so take that fwiw.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with brainhurt for formatting - reasonable - popularly accepted readable font and size and 1.5 or 2 for spacing. I looked for the way it looks on paper - you know no hanging phrase or sentence on the following page.

As far as paragraph it is totally ok to have more paragraphs if it makes sense - One big block of text compiling three different thoughts is, i think, much worse than literally following the instructions. One of my short answers had 4 paragraphs and apparently was ok.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
doolittle wrote:
Hi all,

A couple of things:

1. Transcripts. I have two to track down (undergrad and Masters) and am having trouble getting hold of one, while the other lists only my end-of-year grades with no specifics for modules within that. What's my best strategy here? (Apart from chasing up the admin staff at my universities, which so far has been fruitless but I will keep trying) Should I self-report my grades pending a formal transcript? Should I go into detail that may never be verified by the university by listing grades from modules that I have been told, but that will never be listed on a transcript as they simply don't do that as an institution?

2. Essays. On my essay about my biggest achievement, and why I'm proud of it, I've been very tempted to draft an answer with two parts, as it feels more authentic and more indicative of my potential and strengths. It's about a single period of my life, but it's effectively two different things, the second of which is not a professional achievement, but rather a personal situation that I feel I handled well. Obviously there are two potential problems with this. Firstly, I'm discussing what really are two different things, even though they are connected, and the question asked for one. Secondly, the second thing is not really an achievement per se, not in the strict quantifiable sense. However, there are also positives to doing it this way - it feels like a more compelling story, and in saying why I'm prouder of one that the other I think it reveals some positive things about me in an unusual way (which is why I went for this approach in the first place). Any thoughts on this most welcome.

3. Just out of curiosity... am I being paranoid by changing to a new username so that I can ask stupid questions without worrying? Would someone from admissions ever look on here? It really wouldn't have been hard to pinpoint my application from my username, location and GMAT!

Anyway, good luck everyone!

1. My guess is optional essay to explain the situation. If you have not called already I would do that first, it will give you their preference. If someone else applies from either of those programs though, they will wonder why you couldn't get things together and someone else did. Not a strong position.
2. You want to answer the question you wished they asked vs. the one they actually asked. A familiar situation to be sure, but I think the adcom (Bruce D. I think) has mentioned this as a problem to avoid in numerous interviews/tip sessions. You have to give the most compelling answer for the question, not in the abstract.
3. If they were looking on these boards, they most likely wouldn't answer and reveal themselves. All other responses are speculation.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
doolittle wrote:
3. Just out of curiosity... am I being paranoid by changing to a new username so that I can ask stupid questions without worrying? Would someone from admissions ever look on here? It really wouldn't have been hard to pinpoint my application from my username, location and GMAT!
everyone!

Agree completely with estreet.

The one thing I would add is CBS adcom has specifically mentioned that they read bschool forums. Now that doesn't mean they're reading this one, and just because CBS does it doesn't mean YSOM does. However, I keep this in the back of my head whenever I post something, which isn't such a bad thing. I don't think asking "stupid" questions would hurt you (I think it shows that you care about the process, and I don't think your questions are stupid anyway). I think representing oneself as unethical or something like that would be unwise. My $0.02.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
futurestrategist wrote:
Does anyone know the time when Yale SOM R2 apps are due tomorrow?

I just called the admissions office for the same question.

5pm EST
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
if it was actually sent on the 20th it's not coming. usps delivers internationally in less time (and that's not even paying extra).

I think people need to give a call or e-mail to let admissions know you haven't received anything. as I mentioned earlier, they didn't seem to be aware of any delay when I asked.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
xiao85yu wrote:
wow i completely goobered up the timezone difference (i'm in China). do you think they will still consider me as R2 if I submit before EOD Friday Jan 7th? My app has automatically defaulted me to R3 =(

I think you will be now be considered a R3 applicant. You might want to call them and ask.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
google VOE and VOI... most large companies use a vendor called theworknumber.com - even the government uses it. it lists your start date, end date, salary, title... the employer won't even know a VOE has been conducted. smaller companies will more than likely get a call to the HR department. people like kroll don't (and possibly cannot) disclose the reason for verification. worknumber lists all employers that use their service. if yours is one, you are entitled to an annual disclosure that will show everyone who has accessed your data within the past 2 years (banks, other bg check vendors, etc.) - VOE and VOI is extremely common. when I accepted my last job they used a company like kroll and it was over the same day I signed my acceptance letter. there are an infinite number of reasons someone would verify employment. all banks do this when you're going for a loan of any reasonable size (car loan, home loan, etc.) - I wouldn't sweat them finding out through the process. that said - when you sign your life away to an "investigative consumer report" which differs from a normal CR...you are authorizing kroll to actually conduct interviews with folks. I believe this is mainly done because they are more than likely going to call your recommenders but just to confirm minor stuff. if it wasn't an ICR they wouldn't be allowed to contact the recommenders. anyway the only thing you really need to worry about is data being loaded incorrectly at any point in your life and then having to deal with explanations to kroll, the stress, etc. etc. that's why I personally just want it over with asap :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
sanoma wrote:
For r2 applicants, when would we find out about interview invites?

couple of weeks after the admissions deadline to the decision day
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
For all you R2 applicants, this article was included in today's newsletter if you didn't receive it.

https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/7301.shtml
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone else get the email today from Yale SOM then realize it was just a newsletter? That messed with my emotions a little.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
EdJ wrote:
I find it amazing that schools talk about taking this complete approach to searching for their right class yet blast off interview request within 12 - 48 hours of someone submitting. It just shows that high GMAT, GPA is most of the battle. All the stuff about looking beyond that is mostly BS. I have an invite, but find it amazing that all the effort that one puts into essays etc is so secondary that its not even worth a thorough look.

I am going to disagree. There are other reasons someone may be on the school's radar - attending online events, attending events in New Haven that entail some sort of selection process and communicating with someone from admissions. Each application gets two reads - one by two members of admissions and one by the entire committee. The interview invitation may be extended after either read (obviously these early interview invitations were extended after the first read). The interview itself is only a component of the whole application. From my interview experience and the people that I met on the day of my interview I can tell you that they actually do a very good job at selecting the people that fit the school (with few exceptions that get weeded out through the interview). Of course, now that you have made that conclusion you can test submit a crappy application to see if they will invite you to interview thanks to your high stats and then we won't need to speculate :)
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Visited YSOM yesterday to get to know the school firsthand and bolster my wait list prospects. My brief thoughts:

- Got a great feel from the vibe of SOM. Much more down-to-earth than one might guess given Yale's status as an elite Ivy.
- Very tight facilities -- both classes I attended were full, standing room only. New facilities scheduled for completion in 2013 will be great for SOM.
- Had one class with Swersky. Hilarious dude who has been teaching at SOM since its inception. If you visit I recommend.
- Student tour guides were very nice and helpful, though I wish at least one was a 2nd year.
- Admissions staff were very friendly and approachable. Had Q&A with Shelley Clifford, deputy admisisons director. She was very to-the-point and high energy. Gave frank, helpful answers to all questions, and really seems to want to help applicants.

Conclusion: I can see why others have said that most people who visit SOM either decide it's absolutely the place for them or it isn't, with few on the fence. Small class size, definite socially conscious theme. My #1 choice.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  101   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts