Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
nontraditional wrote:
Thank you! That's extremely helpful.

Any advice on what to wear? I'm meeting her at her office and we're going for coffee. I asked in an email yesterday and she said khakis and a button-down would be fine. Do you think that's appropriate just because she said it is? Were it on campus I would definitely go in a suit, but I can imagine a suited man in a coffee shop could look rigid and uncomfortable.

For me, my interviewer said to "casual" is fine, and she came in with track pants and a t-shirt (it was storming outside, she was working from home, and there were meetings before my interview, so I don't blame her at all). I wore a shirt, slacks, and tie, with a sweater over it, and she commented, "Oh wow, you dressed up, it looks nice." and that was it. So it's always better to dress up a little, but don't overdo it.

As for Finwannabe... I am actually tempted to lure him over here and then ban him... haha, ok, I've confessed my dark thoughts :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
nontraditional wrote:
Any advice on what to wear? I'm meeting her at her office and we're going for coffee. I asked in an email yesterday and she said khakis and a button-down would be fine. Do you think that's appropriate just because she said it is? Were it on campus I would definitely go in a suit, but I can imagine a suited man in a coffee shop could look rigid and uncomfortable.

What city are you in?

I'm afraid to say. I don't mean to be bashful. My current and previous supervisors are the only people at work who know my plan. I'm in a smaller market, and I'm afraid to let anyone else know before I get accepted somewhere and am sure I am leaving. Weird, I know, to think someone from my office might frequent the forum and put two and two together. But a slip up would be disastrous if I were to get in nowhere and need to get that promotion this year to better qualify me for next year.

Originally posted by nontraditional on 08 Jan 2008, 10:21.
Last edited by nontraditional on 08 Jan 2008, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
nontraditional wrote:
I'm afraid to say. I don't mean to be bashful. My current and previous supervisors are the only people at work who know my plan. I'm in a smaller market, and I'm afraid to let anyone else know before I get accepted somewhere and am sure I am leaving.

Understandable. Ok, how about region then? East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, etc? I find that these things make a difference.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
West. Not CA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all. First time poster here. I was waitlisted at Kellogg as well. Does it seem to anyone else that Kellogg WL'd a very large number of R1 applicants? The BW forum seems to be overflowing with them. I wonder if this is any different from years past...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am starting to wonder if Kellogg WLed a lot of people because of an extremely competitive first round. If you think about it, imagine they get a huge number of very talented people applying because a much greater number of applications than anticipated. They will use the waitlist people so that they have a chance to evaluate the R2 candidates, if quality is lower than R1 or they dont get a similar increase in applications they can easily start admitting people off the list.

This is what I mean: they think they will get 1500 applicants in R1 and 3000 in R2 and plan to admit 350 in R1 and 650 in R2. However they get 2000K people applying in R1, they still want to only accept 350 people but are worried that only 2500 will apply in R2 or that more high quality candidates apply in R1 than R2. They also wouldnt want to accept 425 in R1 because that would leave 575 for R2, and what if R2 goes up to 4000 applicants and is just as high a quality or even better.

I think the key to the R1 WL hinges on how big and talented the R2 applicants are, and also a big factor that has nothing to do with Kellogg is what do HSW get for applications and to a lesser extent GSB/Columbia/MIT/ and then who gets scholarships to other schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you to all who advised me on my wardrobe. I ended up wearing dress shoes, slacks, a white shirt and tie, and a sweater. It felt perfect.

The interview went well. We spent an hour and a half at a coffee shop by her office. She gave me a lot of room to make a case for my candidacy. I think it's a good way for the school to interview. I like that it was long enough that she could really get a feel for who I am, and not just a feel for what my answers to her questions were.

Now for some finishing touches on my essays and submission of Part II.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
haha, river, great minds think alike. :) I had the same hypothesis over in the Stanford thread. Based on what I'm seeing this year compared to last year (application volume, WL numbers, etc...) It really looks like there's a huge surge in R1 applicants (maybe that 45% value someone quoted in this thread for K is correct). The overall number may only go up 10-20% in the end, but I think R1 has become the "true" battleground now in b-school apps.

I wouldn't be surprised that in a few weeks, people start being admitted off the WL. I also expect some WL's from Stanford, hopefully (better than a ding) :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I am starting to wonder if Kellogg WLed a lot of people because of an extremely competitive first round. If you think about it, imagine they get a huge number of very talented people applying because a much greater number of applications than anticipated. They will use the waitlist people so that they have a chance to evaluate the R2 candidates, if quality is lower than R1 or they dont get a similar increase in applications they can easily start admitting people off the list.

This is what I mean: they think they will get 1500 applicants in R1 and 3000 in R2 and plan to admit 350 in R1 and 650 in R2. However they get 2000K people applying in R1, they still want to only accept 350 people but are worried that only 2500 will apply in R2 or that more high quality candidates apply in R1 than R2. They also wouldnt want to accept 425 in R1 because that would leave 575 for R2, and what if R2 goes up to 4000 applicants and is just as high a quality or even better.

I think the key to the R1 WL hinges on how big and talented the R2 applicants are, and also a big factor that has nothing to do with Kellogg is what do HSW get for applications and to a lesser extent GSB/Columbia/MIT/ and then who gets scholarships to other schools.

Also, they may get a few people who have been admitted into multiple schools and choose to reject kellogg. This gives them more scope to push a WL member to admit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Also, they may get a few people who have been admitted into multiple schools and choose to reject kellogg. This gives them more scope to push a WL member to admit.

Thats what I was implying with the statement about it depends on what HSW and the others get for applications. If they get a huge jump too then yield may be better than anticipated so fewer people will need to come off the WL.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
on a personal note... got a reply back from kellogg about interviews....

They are still busy arranging them, so mine hasn't been arrnaged yet due to finding available alumni
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Ok, I did not know chicago residents must interview off campus..this is not mentioned anywhere on Part I of the application.

Should I email admission about this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
gmat2gmat wrote:
Ok, I did not know chicago residents must interview off campus..this is not mentioned anywhere on Part I of the application.

Should I email admissio about this?

Yes you should! They have that requirement for a reason, so call adcom soon.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
gmat2gmat wrote:

Should I email admission about this?

It is mentioned somewhere on the website or on the interview request. I forget where, but I did clearly see it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
What are Kellogg's requirements for font size and margins? I know they want an inch at the top but how much can the left, right and bottom margin be adjusted? Can I use 11" font? Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
JDMBA wrote:
What are Kellogg's requirements for font size and margins? I know they want an inch at the top but how much can the left, right and bottom margin be adjusted? Can I use 11" font? Thanks.

Use whatever you want as long as its readable. If you look further back in this thread, you'll see the variance in font/margin.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Uhm...

when do you think will Kellogg start to give out R2 admissions? How soon after the R1 deadline did they start calling people?

Does that sound a little anxious?

:run
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49  ...  100