Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
Kudos
Chicago just change their degree requirements for the Class of 2011: Check it out:

https://gsbmisc.chicagogsb.edu/curriculu ... ements.pdf

They also added an Analytical Management Concentration
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
falibay wrote:
Does anyone know if the exchange programs are dual degrees? I am interested in the LBS exchange and was wondering if it is a dual degree and how competitive it is to get into.

Kwam, Rythm - do you know how the process works for the international exchanges?

Thanks!

I believe it is not a dual degree. As far as I know: You apply to the program, I think there's an essay or two you need to write, you list your top 2 or 3 choices for the exchange and then you find out what you got a few weeks later.

It's not a dual degree, it's a quarter at another school. You can get the IMBA - International MBA degree - or "just" have a quarter at the schools listed at the webpage: https://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/acad ... index.aspx

Some schools are more competitive than others, I'm not sure about LBS though as I was thinking about South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore, but I'm changing my mind to make the whole course in Chicago as I would pay the same $5k per class and some people told me that education is not at the same level in some places - I wouldn't be worried with LBS though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
traffix wrote:
What time is the application due on Wednesday?

Thanks

Quote:
Submission Deadline

Your application must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. (CST/Chicago time) on the day of the deadline in order to be considered for an application round. This includes receipt of all online and mailed-in materials. Applications submitted after a deadline will automatically be considered in the next round, as long as all materials are included with the application.

https://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/admissions/apply.aspx
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
bscracker wrote:
Do you have any chicago ppts on the vault ??

I am going nuts !! some one pls help :shock: :cry:

Any help .. i promise to give kudo to every post of yours on this forum :lol:

Aww... I know it's a beast. I think most people feel that they shouldn't share their presentations, but it's only for your own benefit. I know you've heard it a hundred times, but this is your chance to communicate something about yourself that doesn't come out in the rest of the application.

I'm sure there are lots of creative people out there for whom this was a chance to really shine. I am not one of those, so I didn't put a lot of effort into making a splash. I just tried to communicate four "motivations" that guide my life. It was simple--white background, not much flair (ok, none), a couple of pictures to support my statements. For me, I think it was appropriate. But if you are a more creative person, I wouldn't want you to see it and think "this is what they're looking for." You would be unnecessarily constricted.

So here are some key thoughts I tried to keep in mind (gathered mostly from people on this board):
-Make yourself memorable. There are several thousand applicants and lots of them have similar backgrounds as you, at least on paper. Help the AdCom remember you.
-Give them new material. Don't just repeat what they already can see elsewhere in your app.
-Review it from the perspective of someone who doesn't know you. You might know what you are trying to communicate, but do they? I know time is short, but have someone else look at it and get their impressions. Do they learn something about you?
-Take every opportunity to show how you are a good fit for Chicago.

You'll do fine! Be confident!
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
89nk wrote:
agold wrote:
Sorry, had to do it.

bmw?

Whatever it is, it's probably prestigious.
:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
pguard wrote:
I know it's been discussed here before but I don't recall the consensus. Is it better to interview on campus? I already visited the campus once but I'll do it again if it increases my chances.

Official policy is that is has no bearing. I tend to agree with that. Especially if you already visited and can write about that in your essays.

I haven't visited yet, and I got an admit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview with an alumnus (off campus) today.
He was very upbeat about his Chicago experience and was casual in his approach. He focused on goals, why MBA and why Chicago. We spent a good chunk of time on why MBA. The duration was about 30-35 min. He mentioned interview was 40% and application was 60% in terms of weightage. I think I left a good impression, hope I get the admit :-) Fingers crossed!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Kudos
praz wrote:
I had my interview with an alumnus (off campus) today.
He was very upbeat about his Chicago experience and was casual in his approach. He focused on goals, why MBA and why Chicago. We spent a good chunk of time on why MBA. The duration was about 30-35 min. He mentioned interview was 40% and application was 60% in terms of weightage. I think I left a good impression, hope I get the admit :-) Fingers crossed!

sounds like you did great! good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: General Management
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos
I just got an interview invite! Chicago Booth is my dream school. I'm so excited!

Best of luck to all those still waiting!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I just finished my interview and feel very good. Not sure if it is because my last interview is done or because I did well in the interview. I believe it is the latter.

This was an alum interview at a local starbucks. I was there ~10 minutes before and the alum was a few steps ahead of me in the line waiting to order his breakfast and coffee. I recognized him since I saw his picture on facebook. I ordered mine, waited for him to add sugar etc and introduced myself.

I had reserved a corner table by the window and he went there. I took my coffee and started the conversation about an event invite I sent him last week. He couldnt attend but he said his friends attended. He asked about my company and the macro economic conditions affecting my company since he read about it. I gave a short analysis on the cash position based on a finance course I credited last year. He liked it.

He asked my resume since he didnt have one but reviewed it before. I gave him a copy and the interview began.

The usual stuff... He asked me to go through my career progression, motivation for an MBA etc. I talked about my career progress to date for 4-5 minutes. He asked me few questions in between related to what I had said. I learnt a foreign language and he asked me how long I learnt it for etc. I also launched international teams in Asia and he asked me what role the teams played etc. It was good since it wasnt a monologue.

I then went to why MBA and discussed about it in detail but made it brief and to the point. He then asked me about my goals and I started by giving a background that led to my goals and then followed it with my goals. He asked me why I needed a full time program as opposed to a part time or exec MBA. I have significant work exp and I outlined the reasons. I was a little nervous but towards then end he said that my reasons for the full time versus PT or Exec MBA were good and reasonable.

The next question was why Chicago and I explained it and in between he asked me a few questions. He nodded for some of the courses, faculty I mentioned as part of the answer. I also weaved in some of my past exp and future requirement and how I could get it at chicago. He asked me if I visited the school and the course that I attended and I mentioned these.

He said he was done with my interview. I added what clubs I would like to be a part of and explained 1 or 2 more points that I wanted to convey. I later asked him a few questions about his exp at Chicago and he explained it at length including the clubs, academics, co-curricular, networking etc. He really took time to explain what he got from his MBA in terms of networking. I asked him a few other questions and he took time to answer them in detail.

Looking back at this interview, I feel very positive especially when I compare it with Chicago and Wharton interviews last year and again with Wharton this year - and in all the three, I couldnt get in. I feel positive about Chicago this time and I hope I cross the next barrier and get selected this year.

All the best for others who are yet to interview.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Chicago Booth
Send PM
Kudos
I'm an R2 applicant to Booth as well. I submitted my application on the last day 01/07, got an interview invite on 01/22 and interviewed on-campus on 02/09. Could someone please add me to the first page? - thanks

Since I'm a local I don't have much to add about the getting into Chicago and the city, hotel experiences that other posters have mentioned in their debriefs. I live on the far northside of the city so it indeed is a pain for me to get to Hyde Park every time. If I do end up getting into Booth, I'll definitely move somewhere in the loop (Streeterville) or South loop area in downtown.

Anyway, so my interview was at 9:45 am but I made it to the admissions office around 9:15 ish. There weren't too many other candidates in the waiting area at that time but it filled up quickly. There was a first year student there to greet everyone. He introduced himself and offered to answer any questions about the school or the city. He then asked me where I was from and after I mentioned the fact that I was a local, he smiled and said: "Well!! you'll probably don't have very many questions for me about the city but I have a few for you". He was from Atlanta and inadvertently we started talking about the weather and the city life etc. The area by now had begun to fill up and interestingly everyone interviewing was from NYC with mostly finance backgrounds. I was the only local and the only non-finance person in the group of about 15 odd interviewees which I found to be rather interesting. Another first year greeter showed up whom I remembered from one of the many Live events (three in total) I had attended. She and I had a nice conversation before I got called in for an interview. Unfortunately, all the good parts about this visit pretty much ended here as the interview experience was a bit weird and different than other schools I interviewed at.

Firstly, the interviewer (2nd year MBA) was very business like which was fine by me. He mentioned at the beginning of the interview that he had quite a few interviews that day and didn't want to run late but what annoyed me the most was that he glanced at his watch and the wall clock in the room every 10 secs which made me feel very uncomfortable and I felt like rushing through all my answers and obviously forgot half the stuff I wanted to talk about. Also the entire interview felt like a monologue and we barely had any eye contact as he put his head down and scribbled notes while I spoke. The questions he asked were pretty standard though:

- Tell me about your career to date and the choices you have made?
- Sounds like you have done well in the Hi-Tech sector, why do you think you need an MBA?
- Looks like you have been to the Chicago Booth campus a few times but you must have also looked and researched other schools. What is it about Chicago Booth that made you apply here?
- What would you do outside of the classroom at Booth?
- It seems like you have quite some experience in managing teams. Could you a give an example of a time where you had to manage a difficult team?
- Any questions for me?

I asked him one question and since he was visibly in a hurry to get me out of there anyway and the fact that I never felt welcomed during the entire 22 minutes, I had no motivation to stay and ask him any further questions. We shook hands and he gave me his card. I instantly emailed him a thank you note while sitting in the winter garden and as expected never heard back from him. The thing that really stood out for me was that during the interview when I mentioned the people at Chicago and how everyone was so nice...he interrupted me and said: "Well! Not everyone but most people I suppose....". :roll: One of the rare occasions during the monologue that he added something and it was this.... SERIOUSLY!! I have never seen anyone diss his own school especially as an interviewer.

Anyway, I had lunch with a few first year friends and headed back to work where everyone asked me how my dentist appointment went -:).

I am still very enthusiastic about Chicago Booth but I wish I had a better interview experience.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Ladies and Jellyspoons,

I present you with the ultimate final quarter of grad school schedule:

Monday: Get up late, go to class from 1.30-4.30pm. Go home.
Tuesday: Go to class from 8.30-11.30, head downtown, maybe do a little shopping, grab lunch with some friends, have a beer near campus around 4pm and go to class from 6pm-9pm. Go out to Tuesday Night Drinking Club.
Wednesday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Thursday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV. Go out to Thursday Night Drinking Club.
Friday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Saturday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Sunday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.

Thats right baby, classes only TWO days next quarter :)

When you hear me go off on how awesome it is to go to a school that has this kind of flexibility, I'm not just making it up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
I am still debating....I really love GSB's program but I am in the "must attend 2009" field... I need to do everything in my power to make smart choices in programs to max my chances of getting accepted. GSB seems to be borderline when it comes to target/reach for me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I'm definitely applying this year R1. I just visited on Friday and had a great time with my host Rhyme of GMATclub :) . I was impressed last time I went in Nov, even more impressed now. I emailed the president of the consulting club at 5 am on Friday morning asking him to meet me for lunch...and he actually did it!
Great building, awesome students, an experience second to none. The GSB probably just became my #1 choice. BTW, it may be a commuter school, but I really don't want to stay on campus til midnight...so I guess I'm looking for a commuter school :lol:

Thanks again to rhyme for hosting me on such short notice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.

I volunteered to host one of these informal student get together thingamabobs this summer, we are currently picking dates, when will you be in Chicago? I can steer things towards that date (we get a little budget to buy you guys a beer)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
R1 seems to be a sureshot for me as of this minute.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  95