Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 03:08 It is currently 11 May 2024, 03:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: campus community vs. commuter schools? [#permalink]
I would like to add Berkeley-Haas in as a tight knit community (similar to Tuck) due its small size and very friendly student body. It's biggest benefit is that San Francisco is so close by, and Berkeley itself also has some great restaurants and activities to do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Berkeley is awesome, but the OP didn't have it in his list :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would say Kellogg is more along the lines of Ross, Duke, and Darden. Almost all the students live in Evanston which is about 30 minutes outside the city and is a nice small city. I just arrived today and already bumped into a couple other Kellogg students.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
aceman626 wrote:
Commuter Schools - many folks from these schools have actually told me that their school feels like a commuter school. They don't know that many ppl outside the classroom or cluster. Advantage: exciting city life, easy access to recruiters.

Columbia
NYU
Chicago

Of course these are just generalizations, not good or bad by any means. Just up to what you want.

I don't actually think you can put either Columbia or NYU into the commuter school category based on that metric. True, neither is Tuck and there's no hallway partying going on in the MBA dorms (okay, maybe at the Palladium), but at Columbia I've categorically been told that maybe 15 students on average in each cluster are "too cool for school" and hang out with their own NYC friends. The rest mostly party together, their version of TNDC is spectacularly well attended and if you decide to stay in New York, the network you build is much stronger than at other schools because so many of the folks you went to school with live within 2 miles of you even after graduation. You certainly need to look at it that way. I know the Value Investing Program folks don't get to hang out much with the regular MBA folks, so it's certainly a bit different if that's what you are going to Columbia for.

NYU's student community is even more tightly knit than Columbia's. Current students have told me their *entire* social life revolves around fellow students, and they're happy with that situation. They get to know friends of friends etc. and by the time they graduate, again most of their friends are all in New York City so they get to stay in close touch with everyone - unlike other schools that have a more nationally dispersed placement record. Naturally, if you're going to Columbia/NYU with the intention of going back to Seattle or Phoenix or somewhere like that after graduation, then you won't have as strong a connection with the school or your fellow grads - but that applies to Tuck, Darden and all those other schools classified as strong campus communities.

And finally irrespective of where you go to school, you're really going to be hanging out with the same 15-20 people in those MBA years - the rest will all be casual acquaintances. Does the campus community really matter? I've certainly seen the light for what it is, and I think this whole "commuter school" rap that some schools seem to get is very overrated.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I also disagree with the chicago in the list. In fact, I disagree that any school is a commuter school frankly. Its impossible not to make friends and forge friendships.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I also disagree with the chicago in the list. In fact, I disagree that any school is a commuter school frankly. Its impossible not to make friends and forge friendships.

Quote for truth here. I think the extent you can say commuter vs community is whether students live in the area of the school or travel to it. So some schools are definitely commuter schools but even at those students are going to be socially interact with each other. No matter where you go you will make great friends...the biggest advantage I see in a community vs commuter school is for significant others. At a commuter school they probably wont interact to the degree they will at a community school...I got the sense this is true from talking with students at various schools.

I would say ever since I arrived and began to meet classmates I run into someone on the street everytime outside. Go out to dinner and you will see someone else at the place you are eating. This may not be true of a "commuter" school but it doesnt mean people wont spend tons of time together on and off campus. You are basically forced to constantly interact with classmates...and you will want to no matter where you end.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

I think Chicago is a commuter school in the sense that the majority do not live within walking distance. There are plenty of students like Rhyme who are fully involved socially. But there are others who are more reclusive. Now, you will find both types of people at any school. But everyone living near the university makes it much easier to be social. This is especially prevalent in the winter months.

I know GSB is working hard to fight the 'commuter' image. But I think it can be an advantage too. I know someone who picked GSB over Kellogg bc they wanted a different feel from undergrad (implying that Kellogg was more tailored to social activities). And I believe that is one of the reasons why some people are attracted to U-Chicago

Different strokes for different folks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2