Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 06:07 It is currently 07 May 2024, 06:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Career Path Impact on Choosing Ultra Elite vs. Elite with $ [#permalink]
thanks for your thoughts shadowsjc. Ideally, i hope to find myself in this situation soon as I hopefully will be accepted to Columbia (good luck to you as well), and have already been accepted to Duke with a very large scholarship. I am also waiting to hear from the Consortium for Yale (like yourself) and Michigan. I doubt Columbia will offer me any money, but my career path is non-profit, so the money means more to me for reasons we've covered.

Questions for you:

1. How are you thinking about the potential admit to Columbia vs. a potential CGSM Fellowship @ Yale? /what is your intended career path since this obviously plays a big part in how you look at it.

2. You seem to be pretty well-informed about the process based on your posts here and at BW Forums. Have you seen any resources or advice on how to write a letter to an Ultra Elite school to basically say: "Hey, I got lots of money from school X, but would rather go to your school if money were no object. Can you guys help me out a bit financially?" My guess is that such letters have a low success rate, given that so many ppl would be thrilled to attend an Ultra Elite with no scholarship money.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Interesting post here, I will put my two cents in for the entrepreneurship path........ you don't NEED an MBA to be an entrepreneur, in fact you don't need any degree.. I know it depends on the field, but some VC's even look down on MBA's, sort of like what real skills do you have(ie.. engineering)..... But with that being said, as long as you make the best of wherever you are and do not become a walking MBA zombie like many I have met(I can save the world,DCF, CAGR, all that nonsense) then I think you will be fine. If you want to start your own business, definitely take the money.... and use your time in B School to start a business and don't just utilize the business school resources use the universities resources as a whole.

Having a Stanford MBA will not help you raise capital for your **** business, Having a kick ass business idea or prototype will have the VC's salivating to give you money.... Having an MBA will really not impact your ability to raise capital outside of them thinking ok this guy is smart enough to get into XYZ school. What VC's are really interested in is the business concept and your past experience in the field or other business you have been involved in. Startups are about ideas and executing them, merely having an MBA does not impress VC's.... (I was a VC for 2 years)..... I don't remember ever looking at where someone went to school, and I was doing less tech and more broad VC investments...

One last note, A full ride at any top 15 Brand name school is very compelling, I would probably take it over paying for a degree(outside of location preferences). I am of the opinion and experience you make your own luck and opportunities.... I think your gonna have similar options coming out of any of these schools if you are the real deal...I know many would disagree but NET NET I think you will get to the same place if you are aggressive and hungry.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
cannedmilkman wrote:
2. You seem to be pretty well-informed about the process based on your posts here and at BW Forums. Have you seen any resources or advice on how to write a letter to an Ultra Elite school to basically say: "Hey, I got lots of money from school X, but would rather go to your school if money were no object. Can you guys help me out a bit financially?" My guess is that such letters have a low success rate, given that so many ppl would be thrilled to attend an Ultra Elite with no scholarship money.

i came across this thread - not a huge amount of information, but there are links in it to other threads as well: leveraging-a-scholarship-89542.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the link!

Your link (and the links in that link) made me realize there was a 2nd page in the Knowledge Vault forum. Haha, don't know how I never thought to read the 2nd page of stickies in there, but some very good stuff on financing in there.
GMAT Club Bot