Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32007 [12]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32007 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4549 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32007 [1]
Send PM
Re: If there are eight varities of icecream to be tasted and judged in a c [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
debbiem wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
If there are eight varities of icecream to be tasted and judged in a competition, what is the probability that black currant is tasted before Vanilla and Vanilla is tasted before chocolate, although not necessarily consecutively?
(A) 1/8!
(B) 3!/8!
(C) 5!/8!
(D) 1/3!
(E) 1/2!

self made

Responding to PMs,

It does not matter we are dealing with HOW many items in totality in such Qs..
WHAT matters is the number of items we want in a sequence..

say we had the other type of icecream as 1,2,3,4,,5..
and one way of eating them be 4,V,3,5,B,C,1,2..
Now keeping rest all at SAME place, we can interchange these 3-V,B,C- in 3! ways, BUT only 1 of these 3! will be in the sequence BVC..

THIS will be the case in all patterns. so the probability will be 1/3! irrespective of TOTAL items being 8 or 100..
ans D

Hope the LOGIC behind it is clear. Will be happy to assist incase of any further doubts

Yes sir the Q is clear. A very evil question i must say.
I request a bit of your help sir on the permutation/Combi/Probability concepts typ. Please post something for these 3 evil topics that lays out advance concepts and startegies because these 3 topics give most of the us goosebumps and sleepless nights.

Hi debbiem,
Good to see you in the early morning..
surely in another 3-4 hours, you will find some more EVIL Qs on the concepts on topic you have mentioned..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: If there are eight varities of icecream to be tasted and judged in a c [#permalink]
i chose c.
please let me know how the correct answer is solved for..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
If there are eight varities of icecream to be tasted and judged in a competition, what is the probability that black currant is tasted before Vanilla and Vanilla is tasted before chocolate, although not necessarily consecutively?
(A) 1/8!
(B) 3!/8!
(C) 5!/8!
(D) 1/3!
(E) 1/2!

self made

Responding to PMs,

It does not matter we are dealing with HOW many items in totality in such Qs..
WHAT matters is the number of items we want in a sequence..

say we had the other type of icecream as 1,2,3,4,,5..
and one way of eating them be 4,V,3,5,B,C,1,2..
Now keeping rest all at SAME place, we can interchange these 3-V,B,C- in 3! ways, BUT only 1 of these 3! will be in the sequence BVC..

THIS will be the case in all patterns. so the probability will be 1/3! irrespective of TOTAL items being 8 or 100..
ans D

Hope the LOGIC behind it is clear. Will be happy to assist incase of any further doubts

Yes sir the Q is clear. A very evil question i must say.
I request a bit of your help sir on the permutation/Combi/Probability concepts typ. Please post something for these 3 evil topics that lays out advance concepts and startegies because these 3 topics give most of the us goosebumps and sleepless nights.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92964 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts