Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Re: Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and not [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
3newton wrote
Quote:
Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. Container C contains 1 gold coin, 4 silver coins, and nothing else. A container is chosen at random and then a coin is chosen at random from that container. What is the probability that the chosen coin is silver?

A. 4/15

B. 2/5

C. 7/15

D. 3/5

E. 2/3

K_Leon wrote:
Does anyone think the question is quite misleading? Containers A and B "each" contains 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. Does this not indicate that A contains 8G and 12S and that B contains the same coins as A? Only after I finish my calculation that I realized this way was wrong.

Yes. I remain confused. I got the correct answer through no fault of my own. I guessed.

A thorough discussion of "each" and "both" belongs in SC, so I'll keep it as short as I can. One hat I wear is editor of English prose.

"Each" refers to every one of any number, when considered individually or separately. "Both" refers to two, taken together. "Each," almost always, is a singular subject (hence singular verb). "Both" is a plural subject. The prompt's plural verb "contain" implies both. ????

"Each" should be used to emphasize the individuality of separate conditions. "The company gave both women $100,000." Unclear. Corrected: "The company gave each woman $100,000." (The women did not split the $100,000.)

Clarity would be simple to achieve. "Jars A and B both contain ..." Or "Jars A and B contain, respectively, 8 gold and 12 silver coins."

I still can't figure out how, in 3newton 's response, A has 0 silver coins of 8 total but B has 12 silver coins of 20 total. Doesn't A also have 20 coins?

If A = 8 total and B = 12 total, I think the equation is (1/3 * 0/8) + (1/3 * 12/12) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 3/5

kumarparitosh123 , I think you are correct.

If A and B both have 8 gold and 12 silver coins, I agree that the equation is (1/3 * 12/20) + (1/3 * 12/20) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 2/3

That said, if words were clear and OA were different, the content would be interesting. 3newton , are you sure the OA is correct?

chetan2u , I disagree respectfully. I don't think there's anything clear about it. Both answers D and E are defensible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Re: Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and not [#permalink]
Kudos
Also, I do notice an error in phrasing 'each contain' -- since I read container A and B; it skipped my attention. (this is not advisable anyway in GMAT exam where every word is important) . Now it would complicate matters because it means A and B total would be 16 gold and 24 silver coins --> I think this question needs to be re-phrased :)

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
3newton wrote:
Is this approach correct?

(1/3 x 0/8) + (1/3 x 12/20) + (1/3 x 4/5) = 7/15

i.e. Prob of selecting that box X Probability of getting a silver in that box

summation of this for all 3 boxes

Hey 3newton,
Can you please tell why you have multiplied 0/3. Rest of he things are clear.
Tanks in advance.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Rather I would have gone for 1/3(12/20+12/20+4/5).
Thus would have led to 2/3.
Ans E.

Please correct my understanding of needed.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
Rather I would have gone for 1/3(12/20+12/20+4/5).
Thus would have led to 2/3.
Ans E.

Please correct my understanding of needed.

The line "Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else" is quite misleading here.
What it actually wants to say is that Container A contains 8 Gold coins and nothing else, and Container B contains 12 Silver coins and nothing else.

Seems to be a poor quality question..
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
3newton wrote:
Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. Container C contains 1 gold coin, 4 silver coins, and nothing else. A container is chosen at random and then a coin is chosen at random from that container. What is the probability that the chosen coin is silver?

A. 4/15

B. 2/5

C. 7/15

D. 3/5

E. 2/3

Hi...
the way Q is written, answer is clearly E.....

Q means BOTH A and B contain 8G and 12S. container C contains 1G and 4S..

Now how have you interpreted it as 0 silver in A is wrong...

Any of three can be choosen, so choosing each means probability of 1/3..

total \(\frac{1}{3}*\frac{12}{20}*2+\frac{1}{3}*\frac{4}{5} = \frac{2}{3}\)

E
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
genxer123 wrote:
3newton wrote
Quote:

A. 4/15

B. 2/5

C. 7/15

D. 3/5

E. 2/3

K_Leon wrote:
Does anyone think the question is quite misleading? Containers A and B "each" contains 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. Does this not indicate that A contains 8G and 12S and that B contains the same coins as A? Only after I finish my calculation that I realized this way was wrong.

Yes. I remain confused. I got the correct answer through no fault of my own. I guessed.

A thorough discussion of "each" and "both" belongs in SC, so I'll keep it as short as I can. One hat I wear is editor of English prose.

"Each" refers to every one of any number, when considered individually or separately. "Both" refers to two, taken together. "Each," almost always, is a singular subject (hence singular verb). "Both" is a plural subject. The prompt's plural verb "contain" implies both. ????

"Each" should be used to emphasize the individuality of separate conditions. "The company gave both women $100,000." Unclear. Corrected: "The company gave each woman $100,000." (The women did not split the $100,000.)

Clarity would be simple to achieve. "Jars A and B both contain ..." Or "Jars A and B contain, respectively, 8 gold and 12 silver coins."

I still can't figure out how, in 3newton 's response, A has 0 silver coins of 8 total but B has 12 silver coins of 20 total. Doesn't A also have 20 coins?

If A = 8 total and B = 12 total, I think the equation is (1/3 * 0/8) + (1/3 * 12/12) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 3/5

kumarparitosh123 , I think you are correct.

If A and B both have 8 gold and 12 silver coins, I agree that the equation is (1/3 * 12/20) + (1/3 * 12/20) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 2/3

That said, if words were clear and OA were different, the content would be interesting. 3newton , are you sure the OA is correct?

chetan2u ,I disagree respectfully. I don't think there's anything clear about it. Both answers D and E are defensible.

Hi,

Disagreement is always good, and with respect is even better :wink: .
So I may agree with what you have written but not with D as answer in any way, neither mathematically or grammatically..

an error of contain/contains is perfectly fine in the forum, may not be in actuals. but there too it would mean the same.

say if I take what you say --
Quote:
Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. could mean the equation is (1/3 * 0/8) + (1/3 * 12/12) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 3/5

so A has 8 gold coins , B has 12 silver BUT WHO has " nothing else"
so this solution does not stand grammatically too..
E is the only possible answer.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
genxer123 wrote:

chetan2u ,I disagree respectfully. I don't think there's anything clear about it. Both answers D and E are defensible.

Hi,

Disagreement is always good, and with respect is even better :wink: .
So I may agree with what you have written but not with D as answer in any way, neither mathematically or grammatically..

an error of contain/contains is perfectly fine in the forum, may not be in actuals. but there too it would mean the same.

say if I take what you say --
Quote:
Containers A and B each contain 8 gold coins, 12 silver coins, and nothing else. could mean the equation is (1/3 * 0/8) + (1/3 * 12/12) + (1/3 * 4/5) = 3/5

so A has 8 gold coins , B has 12 silver BUT WHO has " nothing else"
so this solution does not stand grammatically too..
E is the only possible answer.

"A has 8 gold coins, B has 12 silver coins, and [in each there is] nothing else."

That's correct, grammatically.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
I did a more 'one at a time' probability and added them up:
--> prob of container: 1/3 (choosing one out of 3 containers A,B,C)
--> prob of silver per container --> if either A and B --> then 1/12
--> if either C --> then 1/4
Prob of all silver --> 1/4 + 1/16 = 1/3
--> Prob of silver and container =1/3 + 1/3 -->2/3 (E)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92918 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts