Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Countdown Begins: 13 days to go! [#permalink]
Kudos
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
- Now I am watching Thursdays with RON videos. I buffered them beforehand so I could fast-forward and watch. The videos are kinda long 1.5 hours and slow,meant for the General Public. But everytime in those 1.5 hours there is a very important 2 minute advice that is not present in any forum or test book for that matter. So thats what I am looking for. Its a good watch when I am stressed with excess studying!

- So finally watched about 5 videos in 1.5 hours' time. Fair enough I came to know about some excellent concepts. I am sure I would have got them incorrect otherwise.

When you are bored with your preparation and want to take a break, could you please share your learning?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abhicoolmax wrote:
Thanks man! I just saw 2 of his SC videos and found very insightful. It's just that they are TOO LOOONG - 2hrs seriously? if I watch 1 video on weekday, all my prep time will be gone :D. But I liked your idea, I will fast forward them and try to finish each in < 30 mins.

Btw, did you find the RC and CR ones any useful?

I know 2 hour video is long but do what I did - I buffered one video completely and while I watched that video, I buffered a couple more. I kept fast-forwarding and sat with a notebook to write down the important things Ron says and voila! I am done with 5 videos in 1.5 hours. All you need is high internet bandwidth. Take one day watch them all at once. Be sure to write down everything u learn, else you will forget it FOR SURE.

RC video was kind of useful as Ron walks through the effective techniques of reading RC passages. I used the video that mentions - trick for finding main idea - but I already knew that, see if it helps you.

I am yet to watch a CR video because I was already doing well on CR and did not want to use multiple sources. But now I think I will watch them too just in case. I watch those videos only when I am taking a break from studying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
Re: Countdown Begins: 12 days to go! [#permalink]
Kudos
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
openbox1 wrote:
How come you have so much variation on your verbal?
Its like your lowest is 32/33 and then you sometimes get 44/45?

Other than your GMATprep exams which scored within 2 pts, your other exams are all over the place for Verbal?

Yea I know that. That's what the problem is. Usually its the RC that makes the difference. If I get the passage then I can get all RC questions correct. If I don't, then expect a string of questions incorrect. And I think in verbal that is what matters a lot. The MGMAT Tests in which I scored a V 45 and in which i scored a V38, I had equal number of questions incorrect. But in V 45 I did not get a string of questions incorrect, they were very evenly distributed.

Similarly, in GMATPrep I - I had 8 mistakes and V 40 , because the mistakes were evenly distributed. But 11 mistakes gave me V 34 because I had a string of 5 questions incorrect. If you are at a higher level then getting easier questions incorrect hurts your score more than if you were at a lower level. That's how the CAT works! Consistency and Accuracy is very important.

P.S. I am ignoring Kaplan CATs. I found the verbal unbelievably difficult. Much more difficult than anything in any text books or even GMATPrep docs for that matter!

Bhai jaan,

Aap macha rahe ho i.e. you are going with all guns blazing ..

I have my GMAT day after 2mrw and I havent prepared so well as you have ..

Your post is making me think, hell !! am i right in assuming that I am done with my preparation ?

In fact, I havent taken a single test with AWA till now (I will take MGMAT 6 today , last test and den solve GMAT PREP docs tomorrow \m/)

Wish me luck ..

Gud luck to u 2 !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Re: Got destroyed today - 670 Q48 V35 - last 20 days of my prep [#permalink]
Kudos
ftuzzo wrote:

btw today I did a veritas prep test..Veritas prep seems to be very close to the actual GMAT.. I also got 670 too Q 51 and V 35.. I was also surprised by the verbal score..I Believe some twist and more than 2 wrong questions in a row might damage the score severly... This was the case of today test for me. Another two cents ... If you consider retaking as an option ...

I don't know whether I would be the best person to comment, but I daresay that NO mock test and I mean NO mock tests can compare to the real thing.

They would perhaps give you an idea in terms of timing, weak areas, etc. but otherwise, no mock tests can be compared to the real thing. Not even MGMAT. If you followed MGMAT books, you will score high on their mocks.
The GMATPrep was close, but the real quant was much more difficult. Verbal did not seem difficult to me, but my score says otherwise. and I remember the answers to 90-95% of the questions on GMATprep, so that too is a waste.

Just my humble opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
Re: Countdown Begins: 20 days to go! [#permalink]
Good luck man! You seem to be all set for your target. You have the time in your hands, and you can capitalize on that by focusing even harder. I am sure you will get 750 in the finale :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
gmatkoopa wrote:
Focus is important. I think that for your last couple CATs you should definitely try to take the AWA along with them. You may think that on test day you will be able to be at your best mentally, but you can't assume that.

I would go as far as to say that if you feel up to it, take two CATs back to back in one day to build up stamina and focus (I did this and it made the real GMAT feel easy in comparison). Try to keep your concentration even if you get "bored." Of course, still carefully review your mistakes afterwards.

Good luck!

Thanx for the advice. Yea I always do take the AWAs every single time but I was very very bored today for some reason. Also since MGMAT runs out of high difficulty questions on the later tests, I kinda lost interest as well.
I did pretty well on verbal, but about only 50% of the questions were of 700-800 level. So I am guessing I got an inflated score.

Well that seems like a swell idea - I have quite many mocks left that I wouldn't have taken and I do not think MGMATs will add much value anyway. So I guess I will give it a shot. What have I got to lose?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
Good luck man! You seem to be all set for your target. You have the time in your hands, and you can capitalize on that by focusing even harder. I am sure you will get 750 in the finale :-)

Don't know man. I feel fragile. I am equally likely to score a 650 as to a 760!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Akhilesh - Do you take the MGMAT CATs timed?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bschool2014 wrote:
Akhilesh - Do you take the MGMAT CATs timed?

I take the quant section untimed. But I used my own stop watch. Typically I take 10-15 mins extra.
Verbal is completely timed!

Originally posted by akhileshgupta05 on 01 Aug 2011, 20:27.
Last edited by akhileshgupta05 on 03 Aug 2011, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Send PM
Good Luck Man!! Lookes like u have really geared up your Verbal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
varunmaheshwari wrote:
Good Luck Man!! Lookes like u have really geared up your Verbal.

Trying my best man! and keeping hopes high!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Don't let bad scores demoralise you. I know its easier said than done but try to focus on your mistakes and make sure you learn from them.

If others can score 750+ with 2 weeks of study, you can definitely improve enough to achieve your goal of 750+ on the real GMAT.

All the best!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cvsmech wrote:
Don't let bad scores demoralise you. I know its easier said than done but try to focus on your mistakes and make sure you learn from them.

If others can score 750+ with 2 weeks of study, you can definitely improve enough to achieve your goal of 750+ on the real GMAT.

All the best!!!

Thanx man. The GMAT has become more of an emotional battle in these last few days than a standardized test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:

When you are bored with your preparation and want to take a break, could you please share your learning?

I wanna say that watch all the SC videos. You will understand better with examples. Buffer them and keep fast-forwarding intermittently. See the videos covering - Helping Verbs (Ellipses), Appositve Modifiers, Use of including and based on, parallelism and comparisons - very important part of the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:

I wanna say that watch all the SC videos. You will understand better with examples. Buffer them and keep fast-forwarding intermittently. See the videos covering - Helping Verbs (Ellipses), Appositve Modifiers, Use of including and based on, parallelism and comparisons - very important part of the GMAT.

Thanks man! I just saw 2 of his SC videos and found very insightful. It's just that they are TOO LOOONG - 2hrs seriously? if I watch 1 video on weekday, all my prep time will be gone :D. But I liked your idea, I will fast forward them and try to finish each in < 30 mins.

Btw, did you find the RC and CR ones any useful?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM

Other than your GMATprep exams which scored within 2 pts, your other exams are all over the place for Verbal?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:

Yea I know that. That's what the problem is. Usually its the RC that makes the difference. If I get the passage then I can get all RC questions correct. If I don't, then expect a string of questions incorrect. And I think in verbal that is what matters a lot. The MGMAT Tests in which I scored a V 45 and in which i scored a V38, I had equal number of questions incorrect. But in V 45 I did not get a string of questions incorrect, they were very evenly distributed.

Similarly, in GMATPrep I - I had 8 mistakes and V 40 , because the mistakes were evenly distributed. But 11 mistakes gave me V 34 because I had a string of 5 questions incorrect. If you are at a higher level then getting easier questions incorrect hurts your score more than if you were at a lower level. That's how the CAT works! Consistency and Accuracy is very important.

P.S. I am ignoring Kaplan CATs. I found the verbal unbelievably difficult. Much more difficult than anything in any text books or even GMATPrep docs for that matter!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5