Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Country X imposes heavy tariffs on imported manufactured goods. Compan [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
kntombat wrote:
AndrewN, I would love to hear your take on this question. Does the word "Sustainable" really have that big an impact ?

Hello, kntombat. Yes, the word sustainable works here as a necessary tie-in to profits in the long term from the passage—the word is not used in the environmental sense. The idea is that if a market in Country X exists only at present for the manufactured goods in question, there is less of a prospect for success in seeing through this plan; if demand remains high, though, it seems reasonable for Company Y to take such a risk.

To be honest, I was surprised to see that 20 percent of members chose (E), as it introduces a concern that is marginally related to the plan at best. (And would it make a difference if labor costs were the same?) (A) and (C) are the two strongest contenders, in my view, but if you think of the plan in simple terms, Company Y wants to increase its profits. To increase profits, the company has to sell its manufactured goods, plain and simple. (A) reminds me of the kind of answer I would chase when I was getting started in my preparation. It sounds perfectly reasonable, but if you think about it, permits could just as easily be swapped out with land, workers, materials to build the factory, and so on. That makes (A) seem kind of arbitrary. But without a sustainable market for its goods in (C), the plan falls apart, for reasons discussed above.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Let us negate C and say that there isn't a sustainable market for product of the factory. Well that might be because of the high tariffs. Maybe when there are no added costs, people may actually start buying the product.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Country X imposes heavy tariffs on imported manufactured goods. Compan [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This is a tough question, and since it's one of ours, I figured I had to weigh in.

Conclusion: Company Y could increase profits by putting factory in Country X
Premise: Country X has heavy tariffs on imports
Assumption: People actually buy Company Y's stuff in Country X

This is a tough question because of answer choice A. You're supposed to look at it and say "Well, if they can't even open the factory, won't that negate the conclusion?" And you'd be right, if not for one little word in the passage: could. If this passage said, Company Y WILL make a big profit next year by building a factory, then answer choice A would be correct, because that makes it impossible for them to actually build the factory.

But this passage merely says they "could" make a profit by opening the factory. In this hypothetical universe, the factory has already opened. Whether or not there are impediments to making this happen is immaterial. The issue is whether the existence of the factory will make them a profit.

A: Company Y will be able to obtain all the necessary permits to open a factory in Country X.
Problem: We don't need to know how hard it is to make the factory. The conclusion implies that the factory is already open.

B: Company Y currently produces no goods outside its home country.
Problem: This has no connection to whether or not they will make money if they DO produce goods outside the home country.

C: A sustainable market for Company Y's goods currently exists in Country X.
Answer: You can't make a profit if nobody's buying, no matter how many tariffs you dodge.

D: Company Y's home country does not impose tariffs on imported goods.
Problem: This doesn't matter, because Company Y wants to make a profit on goods sold in Country X.

E: Labor costs in Country X are lower than those in Company Y's home country.
Problem: This strengthens the argument a bit (because the factory in Country X will be cheaper, leading to potential profit), but it isn't necessary. If we take the negation ("Labor costs in Country X are NOT lower than in Country Y), the argument does not fall apart.

Hope that helps!

hey, so the premise already says that company Y produces its goods already in its home country to be sold in country Y, we dont really need to assume that as it is already given. Assuming that labour costs are same or lower in country Y would probably be a better assumption. Pls explain!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts