Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GPA: 3.61
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5744 [0]
Given Kudos: 3057
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Re: Critic: Emily Dickinson's poetry demonstrates that meaning cannot resi [#permalink]
chetan2u

Hi,

I actually don’t agree with the OA:

Two people can have radically different systems of belief and interpreted something in the same way:

A highly conservative monk from the 15th century and a leftist from today’s world COULD both agree that drinking alcohol is fine as long as one doesn’t drink too much.
So imagine having a poem about the subject that drinking too much alcohol is fine. Both would interpret the pure semantics of the texts as not true, and both could agree that for example, the author meant it in an ironic way, and not seriously.

So I don’t see how (B) holds…

Please explain
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Critic: Emily Dickinson's poetry demonstrates that meaning cannot resi [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

Request you to please share your thoughts on Option A.

I interpreted that
> Different cultures have different systems of belief
> System of belief of the reader influences the meaning of the poem.

I couldn't fully understand how Option A could be true (inferred from the passage), as the option now brings in a piece of new information, at least that's what I think so, that the meaning of the poem is influenced by someone else's interpretation(i.e. the interpretation of a third person).

Not sure if I interpreted this part of the passage correctly, but I thought that "... reader's system of beliefs and the poem ..." refers to the system of beliefs that the reader holds i.e. his own system of belief. I am unable to wrap my head around how someone else's interpretation influences the reader's system of belief (even if that person is from the same culture).

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Critic: Emily Dickinson's poetry demonstrates that meaning cannot resi [#permalink]
GMATGuruNY

How to approach could be true type questions. In this question though i was able to reach at correct answer but wasn't confident for option A and E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
saby1410 wrote:
GMATGuruNY

How to approach could be true type questions. In this question though i was able to reach at correct answer but wasn't confident for option A and E.

could be true EXCEPT = CANNOT be true
The correct answer will directly contradict the passage and thus will constitute a statement that cannot be true.

According to the passage:
Readers from different eras have radically different systems of beliefs, and a reader's system of beliefs yields a meaning that is a unique result.
In other words:
If two people from different eras read the same poem, their different systems of beliefs will lead them to interpret the poem's meaning in different ways.

B. A modern reader and a nineteenth-century reader interpret one of Shakespeare's sonnets in the same way.
Since this option states that two people from different eras can interpret a poem in the same way, it directly contradicts the passage and thus cannot be true.

A. A reader's interpretation of a poem by Dickinson is affected by someone else's interpretation of it.
Since the passage says nothing about one reader affecting another, this option does not directly contradict the passage.
Eliminate A.

E: A reader's enjoyment of a poem is enhanced by knowing the poet's interpretation of it.
Since the passage says nothing about enjoyment, this option does not directly contradict the passage.
Eliminate E.

GMATGuruNY

thanks for your explaination.
one more doubt so in case of just could be true (without except)or most likely
all 4 choices will contradict,left out will could be true?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts