Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1664 [19]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Critic: It is common to argue that there is a distinction betw [#permalink]
Kudos
AshutoshB wrote:
Critic: It is common to argue that there is a distinction between "literary" and "genre" fiction. The first should be interpreted, so this argument goes, while the second is merely a source of easy pleasure. But this is a specious distinction-not because every work should be interpreted, but because no work should be. When we evaluate a work principally for its themes and ideas, we cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact.

Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played by the BOLDFACE

(A) It states the conclusion.

(B) It is offered as support for the conclusion.

(C) It attempts to spell out the practical implications of the critic's conclusion.

(D) It attempts to explain the nature of the distinction that the critic considers.

(E) It attempts to anticipate an objection to the critic's conclusion.

LSAT

I was surprised looking at the difficulty level of this question. Not sure whether my approach was correct or not, but below is how I tackled the questions.

Look at the last line in the argument but because no work should be. When we evaluate a work principally for its themes and ideas, we cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact.. Given we have both premise and conclusion indicator, the first phrase that follows "No work should be" is a conclusion - attached with conclusion indicator and second clause is a premise. Hence B is straight answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Critic: It is common to argue that there is a distinction betw [#permalink]
Help please! need explanation for the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hi!!
why not C? can anyone please guide..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40 (Online)
Send PM
Bookmarks
A) It states the conclusion. No, the conclusion is “But this is a specious distinction-not because every work should be interpreted, but because no work should be. ”

(B) It is offered as support for the conclusion. Yes.. it’s a premise supporting the conclusion

(C) It attempts to spell out the practical implications of the critic's conclusion. .... nope.. the conclusion is that no work should be interpreted. So the boldface is actually an implication if one interprets the work....

(D) It attempts to explain the nature of the distinction that the critic considers. No

(E) It attempts to anticipate an objection to the critic's conclusion. No
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
when we say the conclusion is "But this is a specious distinction-not because every work should be interpreted, but because no work should be". any other fact that is mentioned in the above passage would be something that offers support to the conclusion.(option B).
if there is line (bold) that the conclusion leads to wouldn't that be the new conclusion ? hence I think option "C" is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi Why cant it be D? Please give expalanation

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
vijayram2496 wrote:
Hi Why cant it be D? Please give expalanation

Posted from my mobile device

vijayram2496, simply because the statement does not even talk about distinction. Why do you think it should be D? Happy to discuss this further! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
hello expert,
Same as some comrades asked above, I don't know how to eliminate C, as B and C are almost the same meaning to me.
Hope an expert help to explain, and thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
hello expert,
Same as some comrades asked above, I don't know how to eliminate C, as B and C are almost the same meaning to me.

The "implications" of an argument are the expected results that follow a conclusion. A piece of support for a conclusion, by contrast, is a reason why the author has reached his/her conclusion.

Here, the author includes the last sentence as a reason why "no work should be [interpreted]." He/she thinks that FAILING to follow the conclusion makes us "cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact." That provides some evidence that we should indeed agree with the author's conclusion.

It definitely doesn't fit as an "implication" of the conclusion, because it actually talks about what would happen if we DIDN'T go along with the conclusion, instead of a result of following the conclusion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja Much thx for your input expert, but I think I might not understand well what you said. You said "the BF actually talks about what would happen if we DIDN'T go along with the conclusion", but I can't understand what "emotional impact" has something to do with "interpreted". Mind to explain further?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
please explain me all the options.... giving brief reason why cant they be chosen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello Team,
Please help why can't it be option d?

Is the author not elaborating the specious distinction?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
hello expert,

The "implications" of an argument are the expected results that follow a conclusion. A piece of support for a conclusion, by contrast, is a reason why the author has reached his/her conclusion.

Here, the author includes the last sentence as a reason why "no work should be [interpreted]." He/she thinks that FAILING to follow the conclusion makes us "cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact." That provides some evidence that we should indeed agree with the author's conclusion.

It definitely doesn't fit as an "implication" of the conclusion, because it actually talks about what would happen if we DIDN'T go along with the conclusion, instead of a result of following the conclusion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja Much thx for your input expert, but I think I might not understand well what you said. You said "the BF actually talks about what would happen if we DIDN'T go along with the conclusion", but I can't understand what "emotional impact" has something to do with "interpreted". Mind to explain further?

The connection between the "emotional impact" of a work and "interpreting" that work is at the heart of the author's logic. The idea, according to the passage, is that if we start to interpret a work, we will "cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact." So, we should NOT interpret a work. Because if we DO interpret a work, we "cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact."

I hope that helps!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Critic: It is common to argue that there is a distinction between "literary" and "genre" fiction. The first should be interpreted, so this argument goes, while the second is merely a source of easy pleasure. But this is a specious distinction-not because every work should be interpreted, but because no work should be. When we evaluate a work principally for its themes and ideas, we cut ourselves off from the work's emotional impact.

Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played by the BOLDFACE

(A) It states the conclusion. - WRONG. Conclusion is " 'literary' should be interpreted, while 'genre' is merely a source of easy pleasure is a specious distinction because no work should be interpreted".

(B) It is offered as support for the conclusion. - CORRECT,

(C) It attempts to spell out the practical implications of the critic's conclusion. - WRONG. Although this I chose but i had my apprehension choosing this over B, and it was because of "practical implications". What does that mean? No such thing is elaborated in the passage as such. The BOLDFACE is a generic statement made in support to conclusion.

(D) It attempts to explain the nature of the distinction that the critic considers. - WRONG. Irrelevant.

(E) It attempts to anticipate an objection to the critic's conclusion. - WRONG. Irrelevant.

Answer B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
If you are stuck between (B) and (C):

If I were to conclude that "making a distinction between literary fiction and genre fiction is specious/dumb", then the practical implication of that conclusion would be "I will no longer make that distinction nor respect it when other people do so."

If I were to conclude that "no work should be interpreted", then the practical implication would be "next time I read a work, I won't try to interpret it ... I'll just let it emotionally impact me however it does."

A 'practical implication', in other words, would be how our behavior or thinking will change as a result of a certain claim being true.

Meanwhile, that last sentence, which you highlighted, is not practical / actionable advice. It's the reason FOR the conclusion that "we shouldn't interpret any work". Why not? Because doing so cuts us off from the work's emotional impact.

If we accept that rationale, and we think staying attuned to emotional impact is so important that we would agree with the conclusion that "no work should be interpreted", then the practical implication would be "stop trying to interpret works".
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts