Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [104]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [44]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Send PM
Re: Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

A. By changing maintenance schedules, the Transit Authority can achieve the 5 percent increase in train trips without purchasing any new subway cars.[Purchasing is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

B. The Transit Authority also plans a 5 percent increase in the number of bus trips on routes that connect to subways. [Bus trips is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

C. For most commuters who use the subway system, there is no practical alternative public transportation available. [Alternative transportation system is out of scope of the sargument – eliminate it]

D. Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains are now sparsely used. [Hold it]

E. The 5 percent increase in the number of train trips can be achieved without an equal increase in Transit Authority operational costs. [Why to discuss about operational cost – eliminate it]

Answer: D

Exactly. OA is D. But can you plz explain clearly for me why D? I also eliminate A, B, C and E. At last, I chose D, but I really do not understand why. Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [3]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Re: Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ttram wrote:

Exactly. OA is D. But can you plz explain clearly for me why D? I also eliminate A, B, C and E. At last, I chose D, but I really do not understand why. Thanks a lot.

Crowding results from people waiting for their trains during peak hours (not enough trains!). The proposed plan will increase the number of train trips during peak hours to reduce the number of people waiting and hence crowd. Note that the 5% increase in train trips doesn't have to take into account 20% increase in off-peak ridership.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
its D...

can explanations like hanumayamma's wait at least a day after the question was posed.. please..

thanks a lot...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
I think its D.

I think explanations are expected. You can avoid to read the explanations and the answers.

I haven't read the answers people have replied with, otherwise it would impart on my decision making.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
jalmohd wrote:
its D...

can explanations like hanumayamma's wait at least a day after the question was posed.. please..

thanks a lot...

if you have a choice of not to read the explanations, how does it affect you?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
maverick101 wrote:
I think its D.

I think explanations are expected. You can avoid to read the explanations and the answers.

I haven't read the answers people have replied with, otherwise it would impart on my decision making.

I agree. When you opent the thread and read the question you cannot read other peoples answers until you scroll down. Why would you scroll down and read the answers until you have your own answer. If you were studying out the OG you wouldnt flip to answers before you answered the question first would you. :?:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

A. By changing maintenance schedules, the Transit Authority can achieve the 5 percent increase in train trips without purchasing any new subway cars.[Purchasing is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

B. The Transit Authority also plans a 5 percent increase in the number of bus trips on routes that connect to subways. [Bus trips is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

C. For most commuters who use the subway system, there is no practical alternative public transportation available. [Alternative transportation system is out of scope of the sargument – eliminate it]

D. Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains are now sparsely used. [Hold it]

E. The 5 percent increase in the number of train trips can be achieved without an equal increase in Transit Authority operational costs. [Why to discuss about operational cost – eliminate it]

Answer: D

i think this is a very smart method of solving the argument....to eliminate the irrelevant ones and keep the potential ones...you could soon find the right answer most of the time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I chose D.But this is by POE
A. Purchase or not is out of context. We are thinking of the effects of increse in trips.
B. Why are we talking about Bus trips to subways :)
C. Lacking an alternative does not answer the no change in crowding.
D. Seems somewhat supporting official's prediction.
E. We are not talking of costs. Right?

So D.
But I would wonder if they did it practically since it does not make sense to increase trips when the load is not peak and when many use them sparsely :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

Good Morning,
I really don't understand how can this be the cause. I mean, neither the other options could be the cause, but how can increasing ridership in off-peak be sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase? If already there no are no delayduring off-peak time?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
Crowding on Mooreville???s subway frequently leads to delays, because it is difficult for passengers to exit from the trains. Over the next ten years, the Mooreville Transit Authority projects that subway ridership will increase by 20 percent. The authority plans to increase the number of daily train trips by only 5 percent over the same period. Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the officials??? prediction?

A) The population of Mooreville is not expected to increase significantly in the next ten years.

D) Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains now are sparsely used.

Greetings Verbal Experts,
When I recently solved a Mock - My option A was different and I am not getting any explanation why Option A would be wrong in this case.

option D might be the better choice here but please can someone checkout my reasoning for option A it is as follows:

We have to support the prediction that the increase in the no. of trains/day will be sufficient to tackle the issue caused by the delays, which were caused by crowding (because of difficulty to exit)

If the riders are increasing + trains are also increasing + the population will not increase doesn't that imply that the increase in trains will solve the issue of crowding as:
as we know that the author of this argument assumes that the prediction will be sufficient to tackle the crowding

no population increase means that only the 20% increase will be there which the author already thinks is ok according to the 5% increase in daily trains.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
parth2424 wrote:
Greetings Verbal Experts,
When I recently solved a Mock - My option A was different and I am not getting any explanation why Option A would be wrong in this case.

option D might be the better choice here but please can someone checkout my reasoning for option A it is as follows:

We have to support the prediction that the increase in the no. of trains/day will be sufficient to tackle the issue caused by the delays, which were caused by crowding (because of difficulty to exit)

If the riders are increasing + trains are also increasing + the population will not increase doesn't that imply that the increase in trains will solve the issue of crowding as:
as we know that the author of this argument assumes that the prediction will be sufficient to tackle the crowding

no population increase means that only the 20% increase will be there which the author already thinks is ok according to the 5% increase in daily trains.

Hi Parth

I can spot a couple of problems in your line of reasoning. Firstly, nowhere does it state that the number of trains is increasing - the passage only states that "daily train trips" are planned to be increased by 5%.

Secondly, the population increase or decrease does not matter here as we are only dealing with the population travelling on trains. Also, I am not clear how you have assumed "no population increase" here - the passage is completely silent on this aspect. The population may or may not increase over the next 10 years. Finally, the author's views on this 5% increase in trips being sufficient to accommodate the 20% increase in ridership are not known - we only know that the officials feel this will be enough.

Due to the above discrepancies, your line of reasoning is not very clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Goizueta '25
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
Send PM
Kudos
pavan2185 wrote:
I chose D.But this is by POE
A. Purchase or not is out of context. We are thinking of the effects of increse in trips.
B. Why are we talking about Bus trips to subways :)
C. Lacking an alternative does not answer the no change in crowding.
D. Seems somewhat supporting official's prediction.
E. We are not talking of costs. Right?

So D.
But I would wonder if they did it practically since it does not make sense to increase trips when the load is not peak and when many use them sparsely :)

Option D states that the 20 % increase would be in ridership(number of people riding) which means the load will increase in off-peak hours. So hence option D supports the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Crowding on Moorevilles subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]
It's D, since most of the increase in subways rides will occurs in off-peaks hours, then the prediction of a 5% increase in daily trains might be enough to contain the future increase.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Crowding on Moorevilles subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts