It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Oct 2017, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:15) correct 15% (01:30) wrong based on 2194 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it is difficult for passengers to exit from the trains. Subway ridership is projected to increase by 20 percent over the next 10 years. The Metroville Transit Authority plans to increase the number of daily train trips by only 5 percent over the same period. Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the officials’ prediction?

(A) By changing maintenance schedules, the Transit Authority can achieve the 5 percent increase in train trips without purchasing any new subway cars.

(B) The Transit Authority also plans a 5 percent increase in the number of bus trips on routes that connect to subways.

(C) For most commuters who use the subway system, there is no practical alternative public transportation available.

(D) Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains are now sparsely used.

(E) The 5 percent increase in the number of train trips can be achieved without an equal increase in Transit Authority operational costs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Originally posted by ttram on 16 Feb 2008, 14:30.
Last edited by hazelnut on 25 Oct 2017, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Re: Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2008, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Conclusion: Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

A. By changing maintenance schedules, the Transit Authority can achieve the 5 percent increase in train trips without purchasing any new subway cars.[Purchasing is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

B. The Transit Authority also plans a 5 percent increase in the number of bus trips on routes that connect to subways. [Bus trips is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

C. For most commuters who use the subway system, there is no practical alternative public transportation available. [Alternative transportation system is out of scope of the sargument – eliminate it]

D. Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains are now sparsely used. [Hold it]

E. The 5 percent increase in the number of train trips can be achieved without an equal increase in Transit Authority operational costs. [Why to discuss about operational cost – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Re: Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2008, 18:24
hanumayamma wrote:
Conclusion: Officials predict that this increase is sufficient to ensure that the incidence of delays due to crowding does not increase.

A. By changing maintenance schedules, the Transit Authority can achieve the 5 percent increase in train trips without purchasing any new subway cars.[Purchasing is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

B. The Transit Authority also plans a 5 percent increase in the number of bus trips on routes that connect to subways. [Bus trips is not mentioned as part of the argument – eliminate it]

C. For most commuters who use the subway system, there is no practical alternative public transportation available. [Alternative transportation system is out of scope of the sargument – eliminate it]

D. Most of the projected increase in ridership is expected to occur in off-peak hours when trains are now sparsely used. [Hold it]

E. The 5 percent increase in the number of train trips can be achieved without an equal increase in Transit Authority operational costs. [Why to discuss about operational cost – eliminate it]

Exactly. OA is D. But can you plz explain clearly for me why D? I also eliminate A, B, C and E. At last, I chose D, but I really do not understand why. Thanks a lot.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2008, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ttram wrote:

Exactly. OA is D. But can you plz explain clearly for me why D? I also eliminate A, B, C and E. At last, I chose D, but I really do not understand why. Thanks a lot.

Crowding results from people waiting for their trains during peak hours (not enough trains!). The proposed plan will increase the number of train trips during peak hours to reduce the number of people waiting and hence crowd. Note that the 5% increase in train trips doesn't have to take into account 20% increase in off-peak ridership.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2008, 01:35
its D...

can explanations like hanumayamma's wait at least a day after the question was posed.. please..

thanks a lot...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2008, 10:17
I think its D.

I think explanations are expected. You can avoid to read the explanations and the answers.

I haven't read the answers people have replied with, otherwise it would impart on my decision making.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2008, 21:46
jalmohd wrote:
its D...

can explanations like hanumayamma's wait at least a day after the question was posed.. please..

thanks a lot...

if you have a choice of not to read the explanations, how does it affect you?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2008, 10:41
maverick101 wrote:
I think its D.

I think explanations are expected. You can avoid to read the explanations and the answers.

I haven't read the answers people have replied with, otherwise it would impart on my decision making.

I agree. When you opent the thread and read the question you cannot read other peoples answers until you scroll down. Why would you scroll down and read the answers until you have your own answer. If you were studying out the OG you wouldnt flip to answers before you answered the question first would you. :?:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2010, 07:50
hanumayamma wrote:

i think this is a very smart method of solving the argument....to eliminate the irrelevant ones and keep the potential ones...you could soon find the right answer most of the time

live and love like you never hurt.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2013, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
I chose D.But this is by POE
A. Purchase or not is out of context. We are thinking of the effects of increse in trips.
B. Why are we talking about Bus trips to subways :)
C. Lacking an alternative does not answer the no change in crowding.
D. Seems somewhat supporting official's prediction.
E. We are not talking of costs. Right?

So D.
But I would wonder if they did it practically since it does not make sense to increase trips when the load is not peak and when many use them sparsely :)
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I see that most have arrived at D through the process of elimination. Let me try to explain why D is the right answer:

The issue here is crowding - the greater the number of passengers, the tougher it is for them to get off the train. Thus, delays are caused.

Prediction: there will be a 20% increase in ridership over the next 10 years.
Authorities have, however, planned to increase the number of daily trips only by 5%. But they believe that this would be sufficient to ensure that the delay does not increase. Our objective is to select the option that helps explain why the officials think this.

Option D says that most of the expected increase in ridership will happen in off-peak hours - i.e. during the time of the day when the subway is NOT already crowded to begin with. Therefore, even if the ridership during these hours increases, it is likely that the crowding (and therefore the delays) will still be manageable.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant
CrackVerbal

If you find my posts useful, do hit the 'Kudos' button. :)

Start working on your MBA applications - Round 1 deadlines are coming up soon!
http://www.crackverbal.com/mba-application-services/#

CrackVerbal's GMAT Classes now in Chennai, Mumbai & Delhi too!
http://www.crackverbal.com/GMAT-Digital.htm#

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 07:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2018, 07:27

Crowding on Mooreville’s subway frequently leads to delays, because it

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap