Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [23]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
 Q48  V20 GMAT 2: 610  Q49  V23
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SouthCity wrote:
I found this post interesting. Especially you have an awsome way to begin the story. Now coming to messages, I completely agree with most of it. Somewhere in this practice to reach higher level, I have lost the perspective of 'what GMAT actually tests?' and my friend even if you are right, you are a minority. Here are my arguments why I make that statement

1) Host of GMAT instructors give excessive importance to shortcuts (Ex: Solve SC questions in 1 minute so that you will be able to dedicate more time in CR, RC - On contrary, there are several SC problems, which cann't be solved in one minute + add 20% to anxiety in actual exam. CR read the stem, read the argument and start POE process or may be pre think the answer - all in 2 minutes. My friend no body says - comprehend the argument first before pre-think. In Math situations are even worse. One of the test prep companies put very difficult questions and says there is a shortcut available to solve under 2 minutes)

2) Look at the "Share the GMAT Experience" section of this forum and you will notice that invariably all most all of them score over 700. That makes me a fool as I am not in the league. To add to misery, many of the title says 7xx score in 2 months preparation of verbal score from 3x to 4x in one month, so and so

3) There is a growing discussion in this forum about official questions from GMATPrep, OG not enough to get a 700 score. Very few on the side of defending official questions level and standard. Last time I appeared GMAT, I practiced only from Official questions in Math section, I scored Q49. I am scared even to initiate a discussion on this. For verbal, I am not as strong as Math. I will depend on other experts for verbal. But I have my share of misery to share.

4) The stamina, positive attitude, confidence are the least used words in the forum. At least less than shortcuts and tips.

I can go on. But you get the point.

-South city

Shortcuts and Tricks

I agree with you SouthCity that a great majority of instructors lay more emphasis on shortcuts and tricks rather than on concepts and understanding. I believe there are two reasons for the same:

1. The students demand it. Yes, I believe this is a very significant reason. It has become our mindset to look for shortcuts in every area of life, not just GMAT. We just want to short-circuit our way to the success without going through a long journey of capability-building. So, when teachers and institutions see this crowd of students or 'customers' coming to them, they adjust their methodology accordingly.

2. A good number of the teachers who teach GMAT do not themselves understand what is actually tested on the GMAT. And even if they understand that it is a test of reasoning, they do not themselves have the capability to teach 'reasoning' to the students. It's a no-brainer that it is much easier to teach shortcuts and tricks than to help build the reasoning power of students.

Now, however, even though many companies do preach shortcuts and tricks, there are many test prep companies which focus on building concept clarity. Rather, all the top companies such as Manhattan, Veritas, and e-GMAT lay emphasis on building concepts. Of course, they also teach you tricks and shortcuts, but I believe, and as I have seen, these shortcuts are not the core part of their offering; the core part of their courses does lay emphasis on the understanding of concepts. Of course, not all of them teach the same way, and not all of them work wonders for every student. But each of these companies works for a good segment of the population. And when these people become successful, they spread positive news about the companies. And that is how the companies gradually become more and more popular.

Stories of 7xx scores in 1-2 months

As far as your point of stories of people scoring 7xx points in 1 or 2 months is concerned, you need not compare yourself against those people. Everyone has a different story. Different people take different time to master the concepts or GMAT. For example: this debrief

i-got-crushed-today-196949.html

This person scored 550 after preparing for 8 months, a significant amount of time by any standards. But he didn't give up and eventually ended up scoring 700. I have a student who scored less than 400 on GMAT on his first attempt. When he came to me and told me that he wanted to score a 700, I told him that it was going to be a long journey. And he is gradually improving. Every session, he focuses on learning, enjoys when he gets questions right, and chooses not to turn temporary disappointment into worry when he gets questions wrong.

Now, if this person started comparing himself with these people who score 7xx in 1-2 months, he would never reach anywhere. However, he has a positive attitude. Instead of measuring himself against others, he measures himself against his past and just focuses on growing himself. So, that is what I'll suggest for every GMAT test taker.

Official Questions vs Questions from other sources

I think official questions can be enough if you practice in a deliberate way. I explain about Deliberate Practice in my article (Second Pillar): how-to-ace-gmat-222074.html#p1710469

Now, even though I'll warn you against solving questions from any other sources, I think you can solve questions from Manhattan, Veritas, and e-GMAT. I believe these companies take pains to make sure their questions are very close to official questions.

Stamina, positive attitude, confidence

I believe the attitude is a very important ingredient of a success as I explain in my above-referred article. Doesn't matter whether others focus on these things or not, you are right my friend that these things are very important not only while preparing for GMAT but in life in general.

Lastly, thank you for writing such a relevant post. It talked about many points close to my heart.

Regards,
CJ
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide [#permalink]