GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 May 2019, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:36
1
u1983

Following lines are used for Q3:

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

In other options everything will pass. Hope it is helpful.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 804
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:41
aragonn wrote:
u1983

Following lines are used for Q3:

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

In other options everything will pass. Hope it is helpful.



This is exactly why I got confused........ I got B..... in the similar line of reasoning...... But the OA is C....... :-(
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:44
u1983 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
u1983

Following lines are used for Q3:

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

In other options everything will pass. Hope it is helpful.



This is exactly why I got confused........ I got B..... in the similar line of reasoning...... But the OA is C....... :-(


Dude OA is given as B for Q3. I guess you are looking at someother question and mixed up.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 804
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:47
aragonn ...... Thanks a bunch .

aragonn wrote:
u1983 ------ I have explained Q1 in above post, let me know if it is not clear, I will try to bring in more light. Line of text are given.


1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no



I completely agree that 'uncoil' is a definite clue. But just for my curiosity , could u pls direct me to the part from where I can infer the first part of option C : |The LED becomes bright|
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 804
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:52
aragonn wrote:
u1983 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
u1983

Following lines are used for Q3:

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

In other options everything will pass. Hope it is helpful.



This is exactly why I got confused........ I got B..... in the similar line of reasoning...... But the OA is C....... :-(


Dude OA is given as B for Q3. I guess you are looking at some other question and mixed up.


No Man... I think something is jumbled up here.......... to test my hypothesis 'Please click option B at Q3 at the trimmer block ..... u will understand what happened. :-) :-) ...... let me know !!
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:55
u1983 wrote:
aragonn ...... Thanks a bunch .

aragonn wrote:
u1983 ------ I have explained Q1 in above post, let me know if it is not clear, I will try to bring in more light. Line of text are given.


1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no



I completely agree that 'uncoil' is a definite clue. But just for my curiosity , could u pls direct me to the part from where I can infer the first part of option C : |The LED becomes bright|


We know that P1 is for LED P2 is for LCD. Lets focus on this part "The LED becomes bright". Following lines prove that. more over its full form is "light-emitting diodes".

When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:57
Ah got it. inside box, answer is given as B out side its given as C. workout sir we need a fix here. make both as B :P
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 804
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2018, 09:07
aragonn wrote:
u1983 wrote:
aragonn ...... Thanks a bunch .

aragonn wrote:
u1983 ------ I have explained Q1 in above post, let me know if it is not clear, I will try to bring in more light. Line of text are given.


1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no



I completely agree that 'uncoil' is a definite clue. But just for my curiosity , could u pls direct me to the part from where I can infer the first part of option C : |The LED becomes bright|


We know that P1 is for LED P2 is for LCD. Lets focus on this part "The LED becomes bright". Following lines prove that. more over its full form is "light-emitting diodes".

When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.


Please excuse me if I am bothering you too much......... But again that is my point.

When applied electricity LED becomes bright ( as it releases photon).
But in the OA i.e.,D................ the 1st part is mentioned as 'The LED becomes dark,' ........... This is the point of my confusion.
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Originally posted by u1983 on 05 Oct 2018, 09:03.
Last edited by u1983 on 05 Oct 2018, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 804
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 09:05
aragonn wrote:
Ah got it. inside box, answer is given as B out side its given as C. workout sir we need a fix here. make both as B :P


:-) :-) Thanks ........ I got one more correct ( I am such a self-bragger !!!! )
_________________
Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Aug 2018
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 12:47
workout GMATNinja , can you please help explain the reasoning for #2, #3 and #4 answers?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jun 2017
Posts: 234
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 10:38
10 mins, alll correct. Perks of being an Electronics engineer :P
_________________
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 22:34
2. The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs
B. reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs
C. describe the contrasting workings of another technology
D. indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs
E. explain the features of a competing type of display


For this question, I picked C but then I realized I made a blunder.

The author just mentioned about plasma ( like an example) but did not describe it.

Just a doubt

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma. The dense array of crystals displays images from computer sources extremely well, with full color detail, no flicker, and no screen burn-in.



The BOLD and Underlined portion explains about the LCDs right and not Plasma? daagh GMATNinja bb
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1283
Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 08:54
u1983 wrote:
workout .... need ur help on this piece pls :-( (specifically 1 & 3 - really interested about the reasons for the wrong ones)


u1983
Answer to question # 1 lies in the sentences below:

LCD technology: Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent.

LED technology: Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque. i.e not transperent



Answer to Question #3 is in the sentence below

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains.

So analogy is following


So LCDs can be programmed so, that they can scan only certain colors, just like the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 192
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 21:45
workout GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth

2. The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs
B. reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs
C. describe the contrasting workings of another technology
D. indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs
E. explain the features of a competing type of display

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma.
Why is it A. They have mentioned analogous process. Option A tells the operates differently.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2019, 21:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.