GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:36
u1983

Following lines are used for Q3:

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

In other options everything will pass. Hope it is helpful.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

SC Moderator
V
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:38
u1983 ------ I have explained Q1 in above post, let me know if it is not clear, I will try to bring in more light. Line of text are given.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

My Notes:

RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:41
aragonn wrote:
u1983

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

you have to think about a choice which is similar to the given system. let me tell you this in simple terms. hope you know light has 7 colours. the text says that when light pass through matrix it send out 1 colour while absorbs the rest. so one can see that colour only.

on similar pattern find a system which can filter something while let go other. Only B does . Big boxes will be stopped. small will be passed.

This is exactly why I got confused........ I got B..... in the similar line of reasoning...... But the OA is C....... :-(

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:44
u1983 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
u1983

This is exactly why I got confused........ I got B..... in the similar line of reasoning...... But the OA is C....... :-(

Dude OA is given as B for Q3. I guess you are looking at someother question and mixed up.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:47
aragonn ...... Thanks a bunch .

aragonn wrote:
u1983 ------ I have explained Q1 in above post, let me know if it is not clear, I will try to bring in more light. Line of text are given.

1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no

I completely agree that 'uncoil' is a definite clue. But just for my curiosity , could u pls direct me to the part from where I can infer the first part of option C : |The LED becomes bright|

Thanks in appreciation.

RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:52
aragonn wrote:
u1983 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
u1983

Dude OA is given as B for Q3. I guess you are looking at some other question and mixed up.

No Man... I think something is jumbled up here.......... to test my hypothesis 'Please click option B at Q3 at the trimmer block ..... u will understand what happened. :-) :-) ...... let me know !!

Thanks in appreciation.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:55
u1983 wrote:

aragonn wrote:

1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque

I completely agree that 'uncoil' is a definite clue. But just for my curiosity , could u pls direct me to the part from where I can infer the first part of option C : |The LED becomes bright|

We know that P1 is for LED P2 is for LCD. Lets focus on this part "The LED becomes bright". Following lines prove that. more over its full form is "light-emitting diodes".

When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:57
Ah got it. inside box, answer is given as B out side its given as C. workout sir we need a fix here. make both as B :P

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2018, 09:07
aragonn wrote:
u1983 wrote:

aragonn wrote:

We know that P1 is for LED P2 is for LCD. Lets focus on this part "The LED becomes bright". Following lines prove that. more over its full form is "light-emitting diodes".

When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

Please excuse me if I am bothering you too much......... But again that is my point.

When applied electricity LED becomes bright ( as it releases photon).
But in the OA i.e.,D................ the 1st part is mentioned as 'The LED becomes dark,' ........... This is the point of my confusion.

Thanks in appreciation.

Originally posted by u1983 on 05 Oct 2018, 09:03.
Last edited by u1983 on 05 Oct 2018, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 09:05
aragonn wrote:
Ah got it. inside box, answer is given as B out side its given as C. workout sir we need a fix here. make both as B :P

:-) :-) Thanks ........ I got one more correct ( I am such a self-bragger !!!! )

Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 12:47
workout GMATNinja , can you please help explain the reasoning for #2, #3 and #4 answers?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 12:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap