GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2013
Posts: 29
Location: United States
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Premium Member
Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2018, 17:59
3
3
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 265 sessions

45% (03:26) correct 55% (03:37) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 278 sessions

53% (01:10) correct 47% (01:13) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 265 sessions

42% (01:32) correct 58% (01:24) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 250 sessions

55% (01:13) correct 45% (01:27) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 14 sessions

64% (01:00) correct 36% (00:58) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

LCD's and LED's
Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct display technologies. In LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, two different semiconductor materials are layered together: n-type, in which mobile electrons carry negative charge, and p-type, in which “holes” in an otherwise bound sea of electrons carry positive charge. When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD). LCDs apply thin-film transistors (TFTs) of amorphous silicon sandwiched between two glass plates. The TFTs supply voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells, or pixels, between the sheets of glass. Liquid crystals can twist the polarization, or wave orientation, of light. Just as a guitar string can vibrate sideways or up and down, so a light wave can be polarized horizontally or vertically. Polarizing filters act as selective gates, transmitting light polarized one way but not the other. Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent. Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque. LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma. The dense array of crystals displays images from computer sources extremely well, with full color detail, no flicker, and no screen burn-in. Moreover, the number of pixels per square inch on an LCD is typically higher than that for other display technologies; LCD monitors are excellent at displaying large amounts of data with exceptional clarity and precision.
1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?

A. Both the LED and the LCD pixel become bright.
B. The LED becomes dark, but the LCD pixel transmits light
C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light.
D. The LED becomes dark, but the liquid crystals in the pixel uncoil.
E. The LED becomes bright, but the liquid crystals in the pixel coil up.

Spoiler: :: OA
C



2. The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs
B. reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs
C. describe the contrasting workings of another technology
D. indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs
E. explain the features of a competing type of display

Spoiler: :: OA
A


3. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

A. the partial blocking of an hourglass so that a limited stream of grains of sand fall into the lower portion

B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage

C. the soundproofing of a recording studio so that any performances within are muted to those outside

D. the cutting out of characters from a sheet of paper so that a lamp in front of the paper casts shadows in the shapes of the characters

E. the emission of warmer air by an air vent on the outside of a building while an air conditioning system cools the interior of the building

Spoiler: :: OA
B


4. Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?

A. Electric currents cause them to release photons.
B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state.
C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical.
D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters.
E. They cause the pixel to become transparent.

Spoiler: :: OA
D


5.In this passage, the author is primarily concerned with

A. delineating the commonalities between two seemingly divergent phenomena
B. contrasting the uses of electrical power for two contrary purposes
C. explicating the scientific underpinnings of two dissimilar technologies
D. describing the economic significance of two processes
E. analyzing the relationship between two methods of displaying information

Spoiler: :: OA
C


_________________

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here


Originally posted by janxavier on 09 Jul 2014, 21:04.
Last edited by gmat1393 on 08 Oct 2018, 17:59, edited 4 times in total.
Corrected OA's and added Timer for Q5
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3304
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 13:42
1
Tough one , really.

The first one Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque

The second one The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma.

the third one LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. similar to B

Hope this helps
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 376
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 08:43
carcass wrote:
Tough one , really.

The first one Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque

The second one The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma.

the third one LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. similar to B

Hope this helps

For me, E makes more sense as an answer to Q2.
Can you explain a little bit?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 15
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 07:58
Really tough questions! I can't catch the main idea of author. Anyone can give answer and methods to solve it?
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 64
Location: Australia
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 23:29
1
Here is my take on this question. Feedback as always appreciated.

Para 1: Author starts off by pointing out that the LCD and LED displays are different and goes on to detail the method of working of the LED displays.
Para 2: Author states that the LCD is more popular and then goes on to explain the working of the LCD (very dense in detail)
Para 3: Author continues to give us advantages of the LCD tech and concludes that it is the best display (Almost swears by how good LCD is).

Main Point would something on the lines of: Principles behind 2 distinct displays explained and reasons as to why LCD is superior.

1. Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?

A.Electric currents cause them to release photons - No mention of photos released in LCD

B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state - States the opposite. The passage states - "Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent" The answer choice incorrectly states that uncoiled state = relaxed.

C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical. - The orientation refers to the guitar string used as an example to explain a theory.

D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters. - Substantiated by "applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque"

E. They cause the pixel to become transparent. - Opposite again


2. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

A. the partial blocking of an hourglass so that a limited stream of grains of sand fall into the lower portion - Passage says that the crystals completely block certain spectra of light.
B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage - Correct. The crystals block everything else except the one that needs to be displayed.

C. the soundproofing of a recording studio so that any performances within are muted to those outside - Some spectra do go through at least the ones we see on display!! so no complete "muting" if you'd like.

D. the cutting out of characters from a sheet of paper so that a lamp in front of the paper casts shadows in the shapes of the characters - Found it hard to eliminate this one. My rationale is that this choice doesnt depict the preferential selection as in the case of the crystal.

E. The emission of warmer air by an air vent on the outside of a building while an air conditioning system cools the interior of the building - Not really representative of the preferential selection as in the case of the LCD.


3.According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?

Passage states - LED glows when electricity is passed through (Passage excerpt : "When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light. ")

LCD on the other hand blocks unwanted spectra of light except what is displayed (Passage excerpt: "applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque. LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains)

A. Both the LED and the LCD pixel become bright.
B. The LED becomes dark, but the LCD pixel transmits light
C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light.
D. The LED becomes dark, but the liquid crystals in the pixel uncoil.
E. The LED becomes bright, but the liquid crystals in the pixel coil up.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Aug 2015
Posts: 12
GPA: 3.87
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 23:46
In this passage for the third question why not D which is similar to the comparison !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 8
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 23:26
Hello,

For second question ? Why not option B..
Just link 2 statements,
The dominant technology... in second paragraph
The amount of power is less..in 3rd para
Link these two it gives more reason for commercial development of LCDs

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2013
Posts: 87
Location: India
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 01:01
Hi,
The language is little tough. Taken 09:12 minutes to solve and made one mistake in answering question II.

My answers are C, E and B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 184
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Dec 2016, 14:05
One extra question (750-800, for sure) :!: OA provided

Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?

A. Electric currents cause them to release photons.
B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state.
C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical.
D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters.
E. They cause the pixel to become transparent.



In this passage, the author is primarily concerned with

A. delineating the commonalities between two seemingly divergent phenomena
B. contrasting the uses of electrical power for two contrary purposes
C. explicating the scientific underpinnings of two dissimilar technologies
D. describing the economic significance of two processes
E. analyzing the relationship between two methods of displaying information


Originally posted by felippemed on 06 Dec 2016, 13:53.
Last edited by felippemed on 06 Dec 2016, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 184
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 14:00
If you don't assimilate photon = light, you get all the questions wrong.

The most curious thing is that a photon is not "light" according to the dictionary.com

a quantum of electromagnetic radiation, regarded as a particle with zero rest mass and charge, unit spin, and energy equal to the product of the frequency of the radiation and the Planck constant

I think that Manhattan and GMATClub should retrieve this passage from their databases
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 02:24
gsrividhya wrote:
Hello,

For second question ? Why not option B..
Just link 2 statements,
The dominant technology... in second paragraph
The amount of power is less..in 3rd para
Link these two it gives more reason for commercial development of LCDs

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya

It is true that low power consumption in LCD led to the commercial development. However, I feel that the word plasma is specifically mentioned to give an example by using word such as..
Hence A will be most appropriate.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 359
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 00:18
gsrividhya wrote:
Hello,

For second question ? Why not option B..
Just link 2 statements,
The dominant technology... in second paragraph
The amount of power is less..in 3rd para
Link these two it gives more reason for commercial development of LCDs

Experts please advise.

Thank you,
Srividhya



The passage as a whole only talks about how LED s and LCD s work. Nowhere you can see the author emphasizing its commercial success. He merely mentions in the second paragraph that LCDs are dominant. Keeping the above points in mind we can safely conclude that option 2 is wrong.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 639
Location: India
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 22:45
janxavier wrote:
LCD's and LED's
Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct display technologies. In LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, two different semiconductor materials are layered together: n-type, in which mobile electrons carry negative charge, and p-type, in which “holes” in an otherwise bound sea of electrons carry positive charge. When electric current flows through the p-n junction between layers, an n-type electron falling into a p-type hole releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD). LCDs apply thin-film transistors (TFTs) of amorphous silicon sandwiched between two glass plates. The TFTs supply voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells, or pixels, between the sheets of glass. Liquid crystals can twist the polarization, or wave orientation, of light. Just as a guitar string can vibrate sideways or up and down, so a light wave can be polarized horizontally or vertically. Polarizing filters act as selective gates, transmitting light polarized one way but not the other. Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent. Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque. LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma. The dense array of crystals displays images from computer sources extremely well, with full color detail, no flicker, and no screen burn-in. Moreover, the number of pixels per square inch on an LCD is typically higher than that for other display technologies; LCD monitors are excellent at displaying large amounts of data with exceptional clarity and precision.
1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?

A. Both the LED and the LCD pixel become bright.
B. The LED becomes dark, but the LCD pixel transmits light
C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light.
D. The LED becomes dark, but the liquid crystals in the pixel uncoil.
E. The LED becomes bright, but the liquid crystals in the pixel coil up.

Spoiler: :: OA
C



2. The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs
B. reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs
C. describe the contrasting workings of another technology
D. indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs
E. explain the features of a competing type of display

Spoiler: :: OA
A


3. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

A. the partial blocking of an hourglass so that a limited stream of grains of sand fall into the lower portion

B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage

C. the soundproofing of a recording studio so that any performances within are muted to those outside

D. the cutting out of characters from a sheet of paper so that a lamp in front of the paper casts shadows in the shapes of the characters

E. the emission of warmer air by an air vent on the outside of a building while an air conditioning system cools the interior of the building

Spoiler: :: OA
B

s

got all correct....all credit goes to my Engg. back ground ..and semi conductors was my fav topics ...:p
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 82
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 04:16
Would anyone please explain question 4 ?
Really got a tough time to choose between D and E ...
I could not find in passage 'Widely adopted standard'
But got 'dominant technology' coincides with the option 'most advanced and latest technology '.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 17:15
1
soumya170293 wrote:
Would anyone please explain question 4 ?
Really got a tough time to choose between D and E ...
I could not find in passage 'Widely adopted standard'
But got 'dominant technology' coincides with the option 'most advanced and latest technology '.



D can find out from"The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD)."(the second part 's first sentence)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 09 Feb 2018
Posts: 86
Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 06:23
The author most likely mentions “plasma” in the third paragraph in order to


provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs


reinforce the importance of the commercial development of LCDs


describe the contrasting workings of another technology


indicate the greater number of applications for LCDs


explain the features of a competing type of display
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 76
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 02:11
Tough passage, questions can be answered through careful POE.
_________________

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 08:38
soumya170293 wrote:
Would anyone please explain question 4 ?
Really got a tough time to choose between D and E ...
I could not find in passage 'Widely adopted standard'
But got 'dominant technology' coincides with the option 'most advanced and latest technology '.



In the beginning of the second paragraph it says that LCD is the most common form of technology.
RC Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 399
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 20:22
1
workout .... need ur help on this piece pls :-( (specifically 1 & 3 - really interested about the reasons for the wrong ones)
_________________

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1216
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:29
P1 - LCD n LED defined.
P2 - how LCD works, colours, uses.
p3 - lcd is better then plasma. why how?

1. According to the passage, the application of an electrical signal or current to both an LED and an LCD pixel results in which of the following?
Alternatively, applied electrical signals uncoil the crystals, causing the filters to block light and the pixel to become opaque
releases a photon, a specifically colored particle of light.

C. The LED becomes bright, but the LCD pixel ceases to transmit light. - no
------------------------------------

2. The author most likely mentions “ plasma ” in the third paragraph in order to

The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma.

A. provide an example of a technology that operates differently than LCDs -

-----------------------------------------------
3. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors by blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. The variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

PT - Similarity is that something can pass while other can be blocked.
B. the use of rigid sizing boxes at an airport security checkpoint in order to allow the passage of certain sizes of luggage while excluding other sizes of luggage -

------------------------------------------------

4. Which of the following can be inferred about uncoiled liquid crystals in an LCD pixel?
P2
Within a pixel, liquid crystals in their relaxed, coiled state rotate the polarization of ambient light enough to make surrounding filters transparent.

The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD).

A. Electric currents cause them to release photons. --- that is in LCD.
B. They are in a relaxed state, in comparison to their high-energy coiled state. ---- comparision part is not correct.
C. They are found in one of two wave orientations, horizontal or vertical. --- no >>>>>>>>>so a light wave can be polarized horizontally or vertically.
D. They fail to rotate the polarization of surrounding photons enough to allow them to pass through nearby filters. --- others can be elliminated easily .
E. They cause the pixel to become transparent. - no >>>> make surrounding filters transparent
--------------------------------------------------

5.In this passage, the author is primarily concerned with

A. delineating the commonalities between two seemingly divergent phenomena
B. contrasting the uses of electrical power for two contrary purposes
C. explicating the scientific underpinnings of two dissimilar technologies - clearly best of the lot.
D. describing the economic significance of two processes
E. analyzing the relationship between two methods of displaying information
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 08:29

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Despite their acronymic similarity, LEDs and LCDs represent distinct

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.