Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 16:13 It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22141 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Difference in Difficulty in Pratice Exams? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DeOe22 wrote:
Hey all,

I made a very confusing experience. I took the first official pratice exam last week after two months of study and was overwhelmed by the wuant questions so I decided to not finish it.
However, afterwards I contacted a private tutor and he told me to do a full length exam so he can evaluate me.
So I took pratice exam 2 and felt the questions were super easy. I thought well a lot of 600points questions in that case, but when I finished the exam I got a 720 score with Q49/V40 and I was completely off the hook!
My instructor told me that he thinks I only have to focus on verbal and I will be fine for the real thing BUT I really feel like there was a difference in the level of difficulty this time...

Is this possible, or do I imagine things? lol
1. Your score should be reliable (enough) as long as you were not already familiar with the questions you saw.

2. You can always take more practice tests to get more data points.

3. Your verbal score (percentile) is actually better than your quant score. I don't know enough about you, but I don't think that you should ignore quant at this stage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the many replies!

So to answer all of you:
I did indeed take a Manhattan CAT before I started to study with quant and verbal in the 30s (can't remember the exact score)
So I started the TTP study plan and learned alot (really alot)
Then i took the official pratice Exam 1 which I felt was too dificult for me so I stopped ..
And I have never seen the questions of Exam 2 before and have done it in the time given so from that point of view it should be "reliable".

But the thing is there were only a few probability Questions and I think no Combinatorics questions and I thought most hard questions are from those topics.

But well if you guys tell me that this should be similar to what I will see on test day, I am happy!

I thought I take the gmat this week but then decided to give myself more time and I want to do it in end of August!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
DeOe22 wrote:
Hey all,

I made a very confusing experience. I took the first official pratice exam last week after two months of study and was overwhelmed by the wuant questions so I decided to not finish it.
However, afterwards I contacted a private tutor and he told me to do a full length exam so he can evaluate me.
So I took pratice exam 2 and felt the questions were super easy. I thought well a lot of 600points questions in that case, but when I finished the exam I got a 720 score with Q49/V40 and I was completely off the hook!
My instructor told me that he thinks I only have to focus on verbal and I will be fine for the real thing BUT I really feel like there was a difference in the level of difficulty this time...

1. Your score should be reliable (enough) as long as you were not already familiar with the questions you saw.

2. You can always take more practice tests to get more data points.

3. Your verbal score (percentile) is actually better than your quant score. I don't know enough about you, but I don't think that you should ignore quant at this stage.

P.S. I followed your advice and bought the 4 remaining pratice exams - I just did exam 3 and scored 750 lol.
Do you guys think I am ready to take the gmat end of august?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Difference in Difficulty in Pratice Exams? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DeOe22 wrote:
P.S. I followed your advice and bought the 4 remaining pratice exams - I just did exam 3 and scored 750 lol.
Do you guys think I am ready to take the gmat end of august?
You absolutely are. As in, you could take the exam tomorrow if you wanted to. :)

1. Make sure that you don't get complacent at this stage. The GMAT brings with it exam pressure, which is something that we should plan for. You could also keep 2 of those official practice tests for a second attempt (just in case you need to take the exam again).

2. Make sure that you have a solid timing strategy in place.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22141 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Glad to see that you are using TTP. Make sure to finish the course prior to taking the GMAT, and you’ll crush quant on test day.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 941 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeOe22 wrote:
Hey all,

Posted from my mobile device

The official GMAT practice exam is the same difficulty level as the real one. Even if you got lucky and scored 1-2 points higher than your skill level, you will most likely be able to gain more points from improving your Verbal.
GMAT Club Bot