Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:38 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Again, more Yale-bashing. I agree that the facilities aren't very impressive, but am i missing something? I thought the students seemed like students at any other school...what is it about Yale that rubs everyone the wrong way?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Again, more Yale-bashing. I agree that the facilities aren't very impressive, but am i missing something? I thought the students seemed like students at any other school...what is it about Yale that rubs everyone the wrong way?

Good question - I liked the school when I visited and the kids seemed OK. However, in class nobody wanted to participate and most of them were not that articulate. For a school whose mission statement is so bold about leadership - I was expecting a school full of Bill Clinton types who were articulate, charismatic, driven, and truly special. This is not the case though, they were no different than students at any other school.

There were a couple of other things as well but overall that was why I left with a negative impression.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Boy if GMAT, WorkEx, Excellent academic records and community service are not enough for th Indian applicants what else is expected of them?

This is so alarming :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
trivikram,

what is expected of them (or us) is that they not be Indian ;) too many of us running around with applications to b-schools.

Jainan seems very qualified - I can only think they may have thought he wasn't a good fit or something. Who knows.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've been waitlisted. I interviewed about a month ago and was actually quite confident about Yale. Quite confused and a bit annoyed actually.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I want to do some thing in Alternative energy and Yale has lot of foucs especially in collaboration with school of environemntal studies so I don't think fit was a problem
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't apply to Yale, but I think there is kind of a sentiment that they are a little too big for their pants - at least in the area of business schools. Certainly the undergrad, Law school and other schools are deservedly world class; but the business school is a newcomer that doesn't have a particularly impressive track record. For them to talk andbehave like they were (for lack of a better example) HBS makes them seem pompous.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do they talk and behave like they're Harvard? I'm not defending them, I'm just trying to figure out where the perceived arrogance is with this school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Do they talk and behave like they're Harvard? I'm not defending them, I'm just trying to figure out where the perceived arrogance is with this school.

I think they act like they are up there with the big boys. But keep in mind, applicants are also applying there because of the Yale name - so the arrogance does have merit.

The reality is tis year there class size was reduced and they carried over 40 from last years accepted - so the odds of getting in were going to be tight no matter what. It is unfortunate but that is the way it is and Yale made it clear that was the case.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
But what I'm getting at is, how do they "act like they're up there with the big boys"? Are you guys talking about the faculty or the students or the marketing materials? Who or what exactly is arrogant or posturing like Yale is a top school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think they are using the 40 odd deferrals from last year to bump up their rep - Increasing selectivity and yield % will sure as hell give them the appearance of competing with the big dogs. The new curriculum and the overall prestige of Yale help in marketing the school too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
But what I'm getting at is, how do they "act like they're up there with the big boys"? Are you guys talking about the faculty or the students or the marketing materials? Who or what exactly is arrogant or posturing like Yale is a top school?

In my experience, neither the students nor the professors have shown such arrogance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I do think it's bizarre for school to put people in waitlist without an interview. I mean what are the chances that they will interview someone in May-June, when they have people who have already been interviewed and are on the WL also. Other then that I don't take Yale's temprorary rejection personally, but it makes me want it even more.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
If I end up getting a ding from Yale my reaction will be, "What? Well screw you you underachieving Ivy League pr*cks!"

But that will just be my knee-jerk reaction, I don't really have anything against the school, so I'm wondering if when most people say that Yale is acting like they're better than they are, that's coming out of annoyance from being dinged, or if it's because people have had personal experiences with students who are arrogant, or if they read a quote from the dean where he equated them with Harvard or something.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally - I think its a combination of reasons stated above. Although I have not met any students who rubbed me the wrong way.

My personal reason is that I received an e-mail from the Senior Associate Director a day after getting my rejection that went a little something like this:

"I know you were probably disappointed to get your decision. Please know
that this was a very competitive year and unfortunately we had to make a
lot of tough decisions."

I just didnt think it was necessary - I had e-mailed her regarding an additional transcript to be sent in and we had already covered that. Maybe she felt the need to console me - but I didn't even get an interview from the school so the decision was no surprise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jainan24 wrote:
I want to do some thing in Alternative energy and Yale has lot of foucs especially in collaboration with school of environemntal studies so I don't think fit was a problem

Sorry to hear about Yale but everything happens for good. Is your background in the environmental field, if I may ask?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well not directly, currently I am working for a solar compnay and I am a chemical engineer so any thing related to energy field is easy to understand for me
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3