Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink]
Thanks guys! The first step is naturally improving the GMAT scores. Does it make a difference if I apply to part time in spring? Do I have a better chance of getting in vs the full time program? Stern only has a part time program in spring and I am specifically interested in their luxury marketing program which is not offered by other schools. I am also thinking of getting my applications evaluated by a consultant.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
You would definitely have a better shot at the part time program, but you must realize that your GMAT could litterally be getting your application tossed out. Applying to those programs (some of the best in the world) with a 630 GMAT is definitely a huge challenge. Most likely you would have to bring something extremely special somewhere else in your application, including but not limited to: underrepresented minority, veteran, incredible story of hardship, sex, age, work experience. If you are a normal applicant, your 630 could litterally keep them from reading your application. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there are dozens if not hundreds of applicants that get rejected every year from top schools with GMAT scores of 750+. There application just wasn't strong enough. With a 630, you are outside of the 80% range (on the bottom side) for both schools you applied to (part and full time), which puts you in a very challenging spot to begin with. Look a these pages:

calling-all-nyu-stern-fall-2012-applicants-116635.html
calling-all-2012-columbia-gsb-applicants-113136.html

You'll see on the distribution graph of GMAT and GPA, there are very few people that even applied with less than a 650. There isn't one person on GMAT club that was accepted (yet) to either of those schools with a GMAT less than 680. I would recommend that you spend all your time, money, and resouces improving your GMAT, taking a GMAT course, or buying GMAT material first before you hire any consultant to help you get into your schools. Your GMAT is the limiting factor right now. Although you have a better shot at both of those part time programs, your GMAT is still going to be a significant weakness in your application. You would drastically improve your situation if you were able to improve your score by 50 points, or even get up to 700. That being said, if you are an extremely special applicant in other areas, maybe you are the exception to the rule.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I don't think you can apply to both the FT and PT programs within the same academic year. You will have to wait for next year's intake and only pick one program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I agree... I wouldnt even think of applying to CBS until I got at least a 700...Also, career trajectory is huge for these schools. How do you stand in term of promotions? How have your extra curriculars been in the past couple of years?

I would say that most ad consultants offer a free initial consultation so I would recommend you picking one company and see what they say.

Since none of us have seen your background or your essays it is difficult to judge where you went wrong. We can suggest you improve your gmat... however, even if you do a different outcome is not guaranteed.

The PT program is a bit more laxed for Stern but it is segregated from the FT program and I believe you dont get access to their recruiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This all great feedback. Thank you all...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
We don't know anything about your profile except your GMAT score. So you could have been dinged for one of a thousand reasons.

But that said, both of those schools are GMAT obsessed. The middle 80% at CBS is 680-760. I would imagine that less than 5% of the class has below a 650. Start there, retake the GMAT. Then consider posting a more in-depth profile on gmatclub or scheduling a free initial phone call with a consultant.
GMAT Club Bot