Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 15:00 It is currently 09 May 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Disappointing score drop [#permalink]
Expert Reply
How have you prepared for Verbal in the last attempts?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1803 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
singh36x wrote:
I scored a 640 about 45 days back and I decided to give GMAT another shot and get my quant sorted so for a month I solved some 400 hard quant questions and revised all my concepts .
I took my gmat on 31st august , thinking this would be my final attempt , but by the time I solved 1/2 the verbal I was left with 1/3rd the time . My Sub-sectional scores went from( last attempt )
CR -> 38 to 28
RC-> 36 to 18
SC-> same .
overall verbal fell from 34 to 27 , 7 point drop in a month
but the silver lining was my quant went from 43 to 47 ( ESR attached ) - I ended up solving only 30 questions . timer expired before I could mark the 31st question , which I had solved .

what should be my course of action to Get a score in high 600s ? could I work towards a 700 in a months time or is it too ambitions ?
I am thinking of renewing my TTP for quant and am clueless about verbal !

Hi singh36x,

A significant improvement of upto 100 points in a month's time is possible only with disciplined efforts guided in the right direction. Let me share my insights.

For scoring 700 and above, you need to get the easy medium questions right as GMAT test is adaptive in nature. You can afford making mistakes only in the later half of the Section, not in the beginning. You have to make the GMAT algorithm serve you difficult questions and get them right. For that, being conceptually clear on all topics is really vital. Not only this, you have to be good with application of concepts because GMAT is a test of application of concepts.

As evident from your score breakup, you have a good command over Quant, just a bit more methodical application of concept would help you get a Q50. If you are struggling with any particular topic, you can share with me for help.

However, your Verbal score is an area of concern. You clearly need to work hard in case of Verbal and develop a solid understanding first by revisiting the concepts and then approach the problems in a systematic and logical manner.

Time management is one of the most important skills for competitive exams that most students struggle with. There is a significant penalty for failing to complete any section of the GMAT exam, so it is also important to develop pacing skills. Once you hone your time management skills strategically, you will be confident about not missing out on any questions on the test day.

The possible reason for struggling with time management in case of Verbal:
Talking about the reason behind struggling with time management, you are likely taking more time to solve RC questions. The reason for this might be you are taking too long to read a passage or you might be going back and forth to the passage for every question. This happens when you don’t use the right reading strategies. Students often read the passage from a detail perspective and stuff themselves with the details. And once they come across an inferential question or a main point question, they cannot answer it and they read the passage again to find the answer. This would often lead to the wastage of time.

While in case of CR, the reason could be -not having conceptually clear knowledge about how to approach CR problems thereby leading to confusion in eliminating the incorrect choices. You have to follow certain steps while solving CR questions:
• Read the argument
• Identify the premise and the conclusion
• Read the question stem
• Identify the missing link (Pre-think the assumption)
• Eliminate answer choices which are irrelevant or out of scope

Identifying the conclusion helps you understand the scope of the argument, which in turn helps you to eliminate answer choices which fall out of scope. And to develop the ability to pre-think, you need to understand the framework on which most CR questions are based. Once you identify the framework, there are certain guidelines using which you can come up with the missing link.

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers and avoid taking too much time in solving questions.

• For SC – Follow the meaning based approach.
• For CR – Focus on Scope Analysis and Framework driven Pre-thinking.
• For RC – Involve yourself in the passage and understand why the passage is written and not just on what’s written.

This should help.

Important Tip – Don’t practice tons of questions directly. First focus on learning the right methods for each question. That plays a significant role in getting hard questions correct within 2 mins.

Feel free to reach out to me in case you have any more queries.

If you wish to discuss this over a call, you can schedule a free consultation call using the below link. Considering the effort you have put, I would really like to know the concerns and help you improve your score.
Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot