Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5651 [12]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5651 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Disturbed by growing obesity levels among citizens, the Mayor of [#permalink]

Official Explanation:

Answer: D

The correct answer choice must be 100% true given the information in the passage.
(A) Is this the simplest way? We don’t know, can’t say.
(B) Again, we don’t know; can’t say this for sure.
(C) Is this the best way? We are not sure.
(D) The mayor was benefitted by his action. The use of the word ’sometimes’ makes this answer choice hit the balance between ’overly specific’ and ’overly generic’.
(E) Although this can be one of the drivers, is this the primary driver? We are not sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
Re: Disturbed by growing obesity levels among citizens, the Mayor of [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Disturbed by growing obesity levels among citizens, the Mayor of Vargonia donated cookware and kitchen appliances to schools and colleges in the county that offered cooking classes. He wanted to promote better eating habits by encouraging people to cook their own food at home. Quite a few citizens of Vargonia have decided to vote for the Mayor in the upcoming elections.

Which of the following inferences is best supported by the passage given above?
(A) Eating home-cooked food is the simplest way to combat obesity.
(B) Schools and colleges that offer cooking classes were affected by a lack of cookware and kitchen appliances.
(C) Making donations is the best way to garner political support.
(D) Actions that benefit others sometimes have positive consequences for those who perform them.
(E) The primary driver of citizens’ voting decisions is the donations that election candidates make to public causes.

source - crackverbal

M did something that he thought would improve obesity. Some people voted for him in election

Few points..
1) whatever M did was in his view a good way to tackle a problem.
2) there is no clearcut relation in two - he being voted because of his work - MEANS it is not a must relationship.
3) we can take two - doing good and being rewarded for it- to be just slightly connected

Let's see the choices..
(A) Eating home-cooked food is the simplest way to combat obesity.
SIMPLEST is too extreme. Nowhere the para talks of best way of reducing obesity. Rather M feels it is a way

(B) Schools and colleges that offer cooking classes were affected by a lack of cookware and kitchen appliances.
There is no mention of lack of funds. It is just that M helps them this way.

(C) Making donations is the best way to garner political support.
BEST is again too extreme

(D) Actions that benefit others sometimes have positive consequences for those who perform them.
Now this starts with SOMETIMES so it makes a very subtle connection between two and is correct

(E) The primary driver of citizens’ voting decisions is the donations that election candidates make to public causes.
again PRIMARY is extreme

D

Hi chetan2u

I like the subtleness in your explanation as well. Haha. Hope you understand and hope you did it with purpose. :D :lol:

Hint - I had to look twice to realise the subtle difference.

Nice one. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts