Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Do I focus on my strength or my weakness??? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It sounds like you have made some progress - you have improved, and don't dismiss that small "victory"
Having English as a second/third language puts you at a disadvantage of course - that may be the MAIN issue and unfortunately if you are not great with it, you will have a poor GMAT experience. By the way, don't worry about your scores - many have demonstrated (both high and low scorers) that GMAT has notthing to do with intelligence. Look at me for example, I have GMAT 750, and what do I do? Type text into the internet at 2 AM in the morning :lol:

Anyway, get a calendar or some kind of a planner and write your plan out for the next 5 weeks. With english proficiency, Math may be your best strategy.
The second best option may be either CR or SC, depending on which you are more interested in.

For math, you may want to get either Kaplan Math Workbook or Kaplan math Foundations (if you need a LOT of help).

One other issue is that you have been preparing for so long - most are sick of GMAT after just a few months, so don't let this get to you. Keep it going in high gear for the next 5 weeks - put in as much time as you can and stay focused. use a calendar, plan it out, and stay on schedule.

Link to a calendar by Topher: please-evaluate-my-study-schedule-79588.html
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi MontrealLady,

Going along with what bb posted, remember not to stagger on your strengths when you try to improve on your weaknesses.

You need to score well in both sections to score high. I know someone who got a 51 in verbal, but crashed and burned on quant and ended up with a 550.

I had the same issue with not knowing HOW to study. Once I resolved that, I saw a definite increase in both my score, and my confidence on higher ranked problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I am having a similar problem, as in i am relatively good at verbal but really poor in maths. i took the gmat prep without studing and got 480. I bought OG12 took the diagnostic test and scored above average in the verbal doing better at RC than CR and Sc. ( i did not take the math diagnostic as i know i am well below par there and will instead spend some time focusing on math foundations before i even attempt it). i also got the Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR to work on my verbal. i have not set a date as yet for the test even though i know i must take it between now and november, thing is i won't set a date until i have built up my knowledege of math foundations and i am scoring in the 600s-700s on Gmat prep.

What am i saying with all this? i know i can get in the 30s to 40s on the Verbal ( my strenght) and i intend to put enough focus on this area with the hope of scoring about 51, but i am aware that to get a decent overall score i will also need to do realtively well at the Quant. so for now most of my effort will be to increase my knowledege of maths, but in no way can i ignore verbal as this is where i intent to excel. i am hoping this approach will put me in the 700 club.

I would suggest you take a similar approach.
GMAT Club Bot