GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 06:04
Is it worth retaking, for scholarship purposes? I'm looking at the top programs - HBS, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, etc. and I want to know if an extra few points will really be that important.

Taken the GMAT Three times now. On the first time scored a 690. The second time I scored a 730, and at that point was reaching out for Scholarships, and trying anything to strengthen my application, which I was concerned that altogether may not come across as all that strong for the schools I hope to apply to. The third time I scored a 750. Looking back, I wish I had cancelled my first two scores, but at the time couldn’t have known I would end up performing better. Looking at this post from GMATclub, my improvement was only a little better than normal for those who take the exam a second and third time. I am at the point where I am tired of taking the exam and don’t plan to take it again, but I do want to take it and know that it would be possible to score better a second time. I have 72 hours to cancel the score this time, and if I plan to retake again want to make sure to cancel. Here is my breakdown:
40V 45Q 690
41V 48Q 730
41V 50Q 750
Is there any reason to take the GMAT again? I am only considering taking it again, because I’m just competitive, and know that a score increase can’t hurt me if I cancel this exam. I also don’t see myself retaking the exam and then performing worse, especially as I was feeling sick this third time around. Anyone know resources that point to if it is beneficial to perform better for the sake of scholarships? It will be winter break for me during school, so if I decide to make the time to prepare and take again I can. I have been reaching for a 780, should I just call it quits on that goal?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 10:51
No, you don't need to take the GMAT again. Your score is great - it is above average, your Q and V are strong and it is fine that you have taken it 3 times. Getting a 760 or 780 will be an unlikely contributor to the admissions decision. Instead, you can focus on whatever other area of your application that can be improved (essays, working with recommenders, resume, interview skills, public speaking, and last minute awards, extra curriculars, etc)

I feel (this is a speculation only) that many of the top schools set their sights on the candidate and almost disregard the score; it just happens that these very capable candidates also have high GMAT scores... they also happen to find great jobs after graduation :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 20:06
energies wrote:
Is it worth retaking, for scholarship purposes? I'm looking at the top programs - HBS, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, etc. and I want to know if an extra few points will really be that important.

Taken the GMAT Three times now. On the first time scored a 690. The second time I scored a 730, and at that point was reaching out for Scholarships, and trying anything to strengthen my application, which I was concerned that altogether may not come across as all that strong for the schools I hope to apply to. The third time I scored a 750. Looking back, I wish I had cancelled my first two scores, but at the time couldn’t have known I would end up performing better. Looking at this post from GMATclub, my improvement was only a little better than normal for those who take the exam a second and third time. I am at the point where I am tired of taking the exam and don’t plan to take it again, but I do want to take it and know that it would be possible to score better a second time. I have 72 hours to cancel the score this time, and if I plan to retake again want to make sure to cancel. Here is my breakdown:
40V 45Q 690
41V 48Q 730
41V 50Q 750
Is there any reason to take the GMAT again? I am only considering taking it again, because I’m just competitive, and know that a score increase can’t hurt me if I cancel this exam. I also don’t see myself retaking the exam and then performing worse, especially as I was feeling sick this third time around. Anyone know resources that point to if it is beneficial to perform better for the sake of scholarships? It will be winter break for me during school, so if I decide to make the time to prepare and take again I can. I have been reaching for a 780, should I just call it quits on that goal?
Whether you take the exam again or not, let the 750 remain on your record. Yes, a 780 should help when it comes to scholarships, but as bb pointed out, there are a lot of other things that need your attention, and they might contribute more to the admissions decision than a 30 point increase in your GMAT score. As for "my improvement was only a little better than normal for those who take the exam a second and third time", keep in mind that you are currently in a very small group of people (750=98%) and that by definition, it cannot be "normal" for people to improve that much.

Also, you sound like you're suffering from burnout. If I were you, I'd wait a bit (to recover) and then I'd take the exam again, without putting everything into that fourth attempt (I'd focus more on the other aspects of my application).

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 17:04
You gotta be kidding me.
How can you be even thinking about a retake after a 750!

It is an outstanding score.Only a few people have the privilege of calling themselves 750 scorers.

Put your energy in your apps.

Best of luck
Stone Cold

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 04:45
750 is a really good score and can take you to any school. Even for scholarships, it is a good score. You won't probably be getting one if your score is higher than this, but your application is weak. Your scholarship will now solely depend on your application, given that you have a strong GMAT score
Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes? &nbs [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 04:45

Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT? For admissions purposes?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap