It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 07:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 11:30
goalsnr wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

oh, wow, cracked it in 1 minute.

D says VG - bad.
FL - prohibit sale to minors.
prohibition -> curb CTS.

the assumption here is that minors are actually buying the games, and that once the prohibition is in effect, people would refuse to buy games for minors.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
well, even if they vote, parents might buy games for the kids. thus, the # won't get down.

(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
well, this is something that can be inferred from the argument. those who play VG are three times as likely to develop the syndrome as are those who do not play. B is out.

(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
just like B, C is incorrect, as the argument clearly states that there are kids who do not play, but develop the syndrome.

(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
aha, if the parents refuse to buy - then the kids will not play, and thus the # of kids with syndrome will drop.

(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.
this one is out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 201

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 09:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 12:07
goalsnr wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

The doctor concludes that federal legislation prohibiting the sale of video games to minors would help reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome. This
conclusion hinges on the assumption that the only way for adolescents to access video games is to purchase the games themselves.

(A) Majority consensus in the legislature has no bearing on whether the recommended legislation would actually help to curb carpal tunnel syndrome.
(B) This argument states that "adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome." Thus, the
argument directly indicates that carpal tunnel syndrome does not affect all adolescents who play video games. Rather than an assumption, this answer choice is simply an inference drawn from the text.
(C) The fact that adolescents can develop carpal tunnel syndrome by means other than playing video games has no bearing on whether the recommended legislation would help to curb carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) CORRECT. In order for the doctor's recommended legislation to reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome among adolescents, the prohibition from the
purchase of video games must result in the actual possession of fewer video games. Thus, it must be assumed that parents will not simply purchase video games for their children.
(E) The fact that video games can benefit adolescents in other ways has no bearing on whether the recommended legislation would help to curb carpal tunnel syndrome.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 03:37
madGMAT wrote:
Why not C? how does parents buying video game for their children play role when the sale of the video game has
already been prohibited?

D actually completes the missing link and hence better than C.
If parents don't buy video games to their children then only we can reach the conclusion.
Otherwise as per C even though video game is the sole cause for an adolescent to develop carpal tunnel syndrome- we can't conclude that "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. "

Great question indeed!

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 07:12
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Retired Moderator
B

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 07:13
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 09:24
i eliminated all but C and D. I was sure of D, but picked C due to the word 'only' and getting the wrong conclusion after reading the premise.
'Only' is too strong word and i should have been little cautious. n ONLY is wrong as well as other children develop such symptoms. here we need to concentrate on the last sentence which talks about legislation that prohibits sale of video games to minors. here the author is assuming that if there is such a legislation, then parents will be discouraged to buy video games for adolescents.

hence correct option is D.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 00:57
I marked C in the first go. However, it now looks irrelevant, considering the conclusion of the premise.

Consider this-
Before the legislation comes in effect, shopkeepers must be selling the video games to the adolescents directly. But once the legislation comes into play, adolescents cannot directly buy the games. But, what if the parents (who are not adolescents) go and buy the games for their children. This would not involve going against the ruling/legislation. Hence, the argument assumes, that yes no parents would buy games for their children. If the parents are convinced not to buy the video games, then the legislation would have its desired effect.

This makes D the correct choice.

Hope my reasoning helps.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 23:38
amit2k9 wrote:
Assumption : type Supporter
Test : Negation. (should weaken the conclusion)
POE : A,D prevail

D :Most parents would not refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

Dosen't seem to affect the conclusion which states about legislators.
A: The majority of federal legislators would not vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

Legislation won't pass.Hence weaken.
Clear choice A.
thank you

Can u pls elaborate on this??
Why is A not the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 20:34
A. The doctor doesn't know whether a bill would be passed. So, this is not an assumption.
D. If Federal Legislation prohibits sale to minors, the end result would only be achieved if the parents wouldn't buy video games for their adolescent children.

Hence D.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 08:49
Is my understanding of the premise correct?

Given: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games.

My understanding: Adolescents who play video games are more vulnerable (3X times) to get a particular syndrome compared to those adolescents who do not play (X times). So, is it correct to say that adolescents who play and those who do not play are both vulnerable to get the syndrome?

Conclusion: Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

My understanding: If prohibiting the sale of video games helps to control the situation among adolescents then based on the comparison (3X vs X) how will such prohibition helps to control the situation among adolescents who do not Play the video games?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 08:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 152 posts ] 

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap