GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 17:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 18:02
sushbis wrote:
Why not C? Here the author says "prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. " Doesnt he assume here that the only cause for wrist condition is playing video games. If that is not the only cause, then this legislation will not have its intended effect.

Note that the conclusion says "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"

The conclusion says that it will help control the occurrence of carpal tunnel. It doesn't say that it will eradicate the condition. If a problem can happen in 3 ways and if you take care of one, you can certainly HELP CURB the problem. It may not eradicate the problem completely but it can definitely help reduce the occurence.
So we don't need to assume that carpal tunnel doesn't happen any other way to make our conclusion true. Therefore, C is not correct.

Take another example:

Me: I get frequent heartburns.
You: Avoid cooking fried foods at home. That would help control the problem.

Your opinion is that if fried food are not cooked at home, the heartburn problem will be controlled. What are you assuming? That I will not go outside/order in fried foods on a regular basis. You are not assuming that there is no other way in which I could get heartburn. Smoking, eating large meals etc can also cause heartburn. But you are addressing one cause, perhaps the main one - we don't know - and you are saying that taking care of this cause will help control the problem. That is perfectly valid, isn't it? You don't need to assume that other causes are not there.

[b]Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2014, 16:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
KanupriyaS wrote:
i thought it to be a clear C :(

why can't it be C?

Note that the conclusion says "Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents"

The conclusion says that it will help control the occurrence of carpal tunnel. It doesn't say that it will eradicate the condition. If a problem can happen in 3 ways and if you take care of one, you can certainly HELP CURB the problem. It may not eradicate the problem completely but it can definitely help reduce the occurence.
So we don't need to assume that carpal tunnel doesn't happen any other way to make our conclusion true. Therefore, C is not correct.

Take another example:

Me: I get frequent heartburns.
You: Avoid cooking fried foods at home. That would help control the problem.

Your opinion is that if fried food are not cooked at home, the heartburn problem will be controlled. What are you assuming? That I will not go outside/order in fried foods on a regular basis. You are not assuming that there is no other way in which I could get heartburn. Smoking, eating large meals etc can also cause heartburn. But you are addressing one cause, perhaps the main one - we don't know - and you are saying that taking care of this cause will help control the problem. That is perfectly valid, isn't it? You don't need to assume that other causes are not there.

Hi Karishma,

To echo the question - the Powerscore CR Bible states that for assumption questions -- the author assumes that the assumption is the ONLY way something happens. So doesn't C tackle that direct statement? Doesn't C basically cut the statement's feet before anything can be inferred?

Thanks!
P
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2014, 00:47
russ9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,

To echo the question - the Powerscore CR Bible states that for assumption questions -- the author assumes that the assumption is the ONLY way something happens. So doesn't C tackle that direct statement? Doesn't C basically cut the statement's feet before anything can be inferred?

Thanks!

I am not sure what your doubt is exactly but (C) is not correct because we don't need to assume that there is no other way in which someone could get carpal tunnel. As I said before - the conclusion clearly states "help curb". It does not say "eliminate". So if we are addressing one cause, it certainly helps curb.

[b]Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 08:32
Still another doubt with D , please explain this..

Lets Negate D

Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

What if I go with this thinking ....

Even if parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games and infact buy the video games for their child , Still there are chances that adolescent themself or their siblings might stop the adolescent to play video game hearing the ban.

Now though D is negated still conclusion does not breaks apart. ie Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games is still helping minors to curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 20:35
naval.sheth@gmail.com wrote:
Still another doubt with D , please explain this..

Lets Negate D

Most parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

What if I go with this thinking ....

Even if parents would NOT refuse to purchase video games and infact buy the video games for their child , Still there are chances that adolescent themself or their siblings might stop the adolescent to play video game hearing the ban.

Now though D is negated still conclusion does not breaks apart. ie Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games is still helping minors to curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor feels that if adolescents do not have video games to play, it will help curb the condition. But the law only bans minors from buying it. The law will have effect only if minors do not get their hands on the video games if they are not allowed to buy them. If adults buy the games for them instead, then the law is useless. It doesn't make sense for adults to buy the games for them and then not allow them to play. Also, why would the adults buy the games for them if adolescents themselves do not want to play. I will not say that this can never happen, but it sure would be rare. Only if adolescents want the games and adults will allow them to play will the adults buy the games. Hence, if you negate (D), the conclusion does fall apart.

[b]Karishma

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 19:18
I have seen similar GMAT questions like this one many times; it looks like the GMAT wants us to distinguish between what the law says and what people actually do. as in this example, the law is prohibiting certain action, but the conclusion went as far as to conclude that the regulations will prevent the happening of the action. well, if the laws by themselves were capable of stopping people from doing bad things, we wouldn't need courts or jails...
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 06:58
sushbis wrote:
Why not C? Here the author says "prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. " Doesnt he assume here that the only cause for wrist condition is playing video games. If that is not the only cause, then this legislation will not have its intended effect.

"Curb" means restrain or control, not "eradicate". Your point could be valid if the wording were as follows:

Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb eradicate this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

Even if there were other reasons for the syndrome, restricting video games would still curb or restrain the syndrome (among those who play videos games).
Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 01:58
Adolescents play video games regularly and thus are likely to develop some syndrome.
By prohibiting the sale to the MINORS would help curb this issue.

The assumption here is that these minors would not come in contact with the video games by any means. What if someone else buys for them or gift them? Then the argument fails.
Therefore correct choice would be one that states that there is no other way for these minors to come in contact with video games.
Choice D is correct as it states MOST (majority) of parents won’t buy video games for their adolescent children.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 14:16
goalsnr wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

D is the necessary assumption.
C is not necessary assumption.

That is what makes the difference
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2018, 14:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap