Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 09:31 It is currently 10 May 2024, 09:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4802 [99]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [18]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4475 [12]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7654 [5]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Doctors hope that one day the body’s master cells, called stem cells, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
goalsnr wrote:
Doctors hope that one day the body’s master cells, called stem cells, can be directed to grow in organs or tissues appropriate for transplant, use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them to gain insight into basic human biology.

(A) transplant, use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them

(B) transplant, using them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and studied

(C) transplant, used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and studied

(D) a transplant, use them for testing drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and for studying

(E) a transplant, used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals,and may study them

This question is based on Parallelism.

The underlined portion of the sentence is part of a list of things that the doctors hope the master cells can be used to do. The first item in the list is “directed to grow…”. So, the other items in the list must be parallel to the first – directed to….used to…..studied to…

Since the subject ‘the body’s master cells’ is mentioned, there is no need for a pronoun to be added to the list. So, the pronoun ‘them’ is redundant.

In Option A, the verbs ‘use’ and ‘may study’ are not parallel to ‘directed’. All three verbs must follow the auxiliary verb ‘can be’. The present form ‘use’ and the verb ‘may study’ cannot be used after ‘can be’. So, Option A can be ruled out.

In Option B, ‘using’ is not parallel to ‘directed’. Because the verb ‘studied’ is parallel to ‘directed’, this seems to be a viable option with a modifying phrase in between. However, the modifying phrase “using them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals” would modify “the body’s master cells”. This would make the sentence illogical since the meaning conveyed is that the master cells would use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals. The antecedent of the pronoun ‘them’ is not clear. So, Option B can be ruled out.

In Option C, the parallelism has been maintained. The verbs ‘used’ and ‘studied’ are parallel to ‘directed’. This is also the most concise option. So, C is the best of all the options.

In Option D, the verb ‘use’ and the participle ‘studying’ are not parallel to ‘directed’. So, Option D can also be ruled out.

In Option E, ‘may study’ is not parallel to ‘directed’. So, Option E can also be ruled out.

Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Re: Doctors hope that one day the body’s master cells, called stem cells, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C for me, can be directed, used, and studied
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
goalsnr wrote:
Doctors hope that one day the body’s master cells, called stem cells, can be directed to grow in organs or tissues appropriate for transplant, use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them to gain insight into basic human biology.
A. transplant, use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them
B. transplant, using them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and studied.
C. Transplant, used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and studied.
D. A transplant, use them for testing drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and for studying.
E. A transplant, used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them.

If we break down this sentence, we see that Doctors hope that the body's master cells can be

1. (the body's master cells can be) directed to grow in organs
2. (the body's master cells can be) used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals
3. and (the body's master cells can be) studied

Doctors hope for these three things. The first one is outside the underlined part and will dictate the parallel structure the other two will take. In order to keep a parallel structure and consistencey among these three thing, we need to pick answer choice C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1487 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'm going with C in this one.
There are two possible parallelism points here hope that ... and master cells can be. None of the options include that, so I think that we should try to find parallelism in the rest of the sentence.

Doctors hope that one day the body’s master cells can be

(A) master cells can be directed to grow in organs or tissues appropriate for transplant, use them to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them to gain insight into basic human biology

this sentence suggests that the master cells use themselves to test drugs out.

(B) master cells can be directed to grow in organs or tissues appropriate for transplant, using them to test drugs and potentially toxic
chemicals, and studied.

using and studied are not parallel

C. master cells can be directed to grow in organs or tissues appropriate for transplant,[can be] used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and [can be] studied.
I think that this is the correct answer choice. the three elements are parallel.

D. a transplant, use them for testing drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and for studying.

I think that as in A this sentence suggests that master cells use themselves for testing and for studying.

E. a transplant, used to test drugs and potentially toxic chemicals, and may study them.

used is not parallel to may study them
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1218 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
IMO B.

'directed' and 'studied' are parallel.

What is the answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1218 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Option B
Doctors hope stem cells can be
directed for transplant, using them (transplants?) to test drugs/chemicals, <--- them refers to stem cells. Possibly, stem cells can be used to test drugs. I still feel this sentence is correct.
and
studied to gain insight
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatter0913 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

Option B
directed for transplant, using them (transplants?) to test drugs/chemicals, <--- them refers to stem cells. Possibly, stem cells can be used to test drugs. I still feel this sentence is correct.
and
studied to gain insight

Option B can work as a sentence - there isn't a grammatical issue with it. You simply have a parallel list of two items (directed + studied) with a modifier in the middle (using to test...). I would argue that it doesn't make sense to use transplantable organs for drug testing when there is a shortage of transplantable organs. It make much more sense to use stem cells alone for drug testing. I will acknowledge that there is valid debate on this point.

So, let's look at another way to make a decision between B and C. Option B presents us with two parallel items + modifier and Option C presents us with three parallel items. Let's go back to the original to see if we can determine the original intent [maintain original intent unless it is logically flawed]. The original sentence is attempting to create a three item list, but fails to keep it parallel. With that is mind, let's fix the parallelism errors and maintain the three item list - that leads us to Option C.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

Option B
and
studied to gain insight

Option B can work as a sentence - there isn't a grammatical issue with it. You simply have a parallel list of two items (directed + studied) with a modifier in the middle (using to test...). I would argue that it doesn't make sense to use transplantable organs for drug testing when there is a shortage of transplantable organs. It make much more sense to use stem cells alone for drug testing. I will acknowledge that there is valid debate on this point.

So, let's look at another way to make a decision between B and C. Option B presents us with two parallel items + modifier and Option C presents us with three parallel items. Let's go back to the original to see if we can determine the original intent [maintain original intent unless it is logically flawed]. The original sentence is attempting to create a three item list, but fails to keep it parallel. With that is mind, let's fix the parallelism errors and maintain the three item list - that leads us to Option C.

KW

i am having trouble in eliminating option D

could you please help me out !
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
adymehta29 wrote:

i am having trouble in eliminating option D

could you please help me out !

We can eliminate choice D due to a lack of parallel structure. We are looking for directed, used, and studied. Choice D gives us directed, use, and for studying.

Does that clear this up for you?

KW
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2289 [1]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
IMO B.

'directed' and 'studied' are parallel.

What is the answer?

The OA is C. Choice B is tempting because it's essentially grammatically correct with directed/studied are parallel with a modifying phrase sandwiched in between (you could argue pronoun ambiguity but the GMAT accepts ambiguity in many cases). You have to decide between B & C on the basis of meaning. Let's look at the structures of both options:

Option B
directed for transplant, using them (transplants?) to test drugs/chemicals,
and
studied to gain insight

[This option seems to suggest that the transplantable organs will be used to test drugs/chemicals. Why would transplantable organs be used for testing instead of for transplants? This meaning is questionable.]

Option C
directed for transplant,
used to test drugs/chemicals,
and
studied to gain insight

[This option states three reasons why doctors want to use the stem cells: transplants, testing, and study. This meaning is very straightforward.]

Option B is eliminated for questionable/illogical meaning. Option C wins.

KW

Hello Kyle,

C is the answer to this one...
My query is on the usage of them in other options and what "them" refers to...In my opinion...them can refer tissues,organs or cells as well..The sentence will make sense if replace them with any of the options
Eg...

master cells can be directed to grow in organs or tissues, using tissues/organs to test drugs and potentially chemicals,and may study tissues/organs to gain insight...(Use of master cells will not work here)

In your explanation above, them seems to be refer to transplant (singular,I think...but them is plural)...please confirm what them refers to then...

In option C however,
master cells can be directed to grow in Organs or Tissues,
Masters cells can be used to test drugs
and Master cells can be studied..

Clearly it is the master cells which can be used for the purposes...

In option D and E can we say that a transplant ---- a particular type of transplant is being talked about and not transplant in general..can we rule these option on these basis as well...(i know parallelism is best here but looking at what other ways can the answer choice be rejected)
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [1]
Send PM