Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 05:58 It is currently 17 May 2024, 05:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28641 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Does CAT randomness in difficulty assignment adversely affect scores? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatretest,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. As such, you really shouldn't be spending your time trying to figure all of that out. A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

There's clearly a bigger-picture issue here, but you haven't defined what you're *really* interested in; all of this ties into Test Day though, so we should probably start there:

1) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 30 Mar 2016, 17:59.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 31 Mar 2016, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does CAT randomness in difficulty assignment adversely affect scores? [#permalink]
MartyMurray wrote:
Hi gmatretest.

Probably what has happened is that you have been scoring high on the Princeton practice tests and thereby used up most of the hardest questions in the question bank. So there aren't any more to give you.

Obviously the real GMAT is not going to run out of hard questions. So you will not experience similar issues when taking the real test.

mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear gmatretest,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I think MartyMurray already address one very important issue. A few more things to keep in mind.

1) The CAT procedure designed by the folks at GMAC is their own secret proprietary knowledge. Any GMAT CAT systems offered by a private company is that company's best guess on how GMAC designs their CAT.

2) Truly brilliant folks who are world's experts in psychometrics work at GMAC, and they are the ones who oversee the GMAT CAT. I don't think many private companies have comparable expertise. I have tremendous respect for the brilliant folks at MGMAT and their CATs, but I wouldn't trust many other companies to have CATs that are particularly like the GMAT CAT.

3) I will say that one thing I find laughable are the "difficulty" levels listed in your charts. Difficulty levels listed on some arbitrary scale from 1 to 10 or something like this? Really? In most serious psychometric research, difficulty levels are expressed a decimal percents: in other words, a difficulty of 0.43 means that 43% of test takers in the pool get those questions correct. The fact that difficulties are expressed in terms of a kiddie scale here causes me to question what their other psychometric assumptions might have been in designing this CAT.

MartyMurray is right. GMAC has a question pool that is truly enormous. You could take 12 GMATs and never see a single repeated question. Running out of questions is not a problem.

Here's an article that discusses the GMAT CAT a little further:
What is the GMAT CAT (Computer Adaptive Test)?

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks for sharing :) Does it mean I need to forgo Princeton from now on, since I might have exhausted its question banks?

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gmathopeful90,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. As such, you really shouldn't be spending your time trying to figure all of that out. A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

There's clearly a bigger-picture issue here, but you haven't defined what you're *really* interested in; all of this ties into Test Day though, so we should probably start there:

1) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

I am not sure if gmathopeful90 refers to me. Here is the overall scoring for my PT and also actual GMAT on Feb 26.
Attachment:
gmat princeton PT 5-9.JPG
gmat princeton PT 5-9.JPG [ 69.08 KiB | Viewed 1314 times ]

Plan to aim for 670 in the Apr 8 test. Will complete 1 PT (Manhattan, Kaplan, Peterson's, and GMAT Prep in standby mode) every 1-2 days until Apr 6, and top up with OG revision if time allows. Full-time work at daytime, therefore unable to fully commit to preparation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Does CAT randomness in difficulty assignment adversely affect scores? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatretest,

Considering the 'swings' in these CAT scores, there's either some problem with how these CATs function or a problem with your performances (or how you're taking these CATS).

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take them at home?
2) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
3) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
4) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Rich
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28641 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Does CAT randomness in difficulty assignment adversely affect scores? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatretest wrote:
Thanks for sharing :) Does it mean I need to forgo Princeton from now on, since I might have exhausted its question banks?

Dear gmatretest,
My friend, it depends on what your needs are. For ordinary question practice, you could still use Princeton. As I have said above, I think the best GMAT CATs from a private company are the MGMAT tests, and you can get full access to them by purchasing any one of their lesson books for math, Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, or Reading Comprehension.

Of course, the very best estimates are from the official material: GMAT Prep and the related question packs.

Finally, you should be aware that many people perform at one level on practice tests and then see a drop, at times a significant drop, on test day. For a deeper understanding of this, and what you can do, see:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gmatretest,

Considering the 'swings' in these CAT scores, there's either some problem with how these CATs function or a problem with your performances (or how you're taking these CATS).

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take them at home?
2) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
3) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
4) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

Rich

First 4 were taken at home, but time slots vary. Some are on weekend mornings, while some on weekday nights (after work). No pause, no skip, no break.
The 5th (PT9) was taken in office, AWA-IR-Q in the afternoon and V in the next morning.
All 5 PTs are not repetitive.
My Official GMAT was taken on Friday morning, while the upcoming one will be on Friday afternoon.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatretest,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define the fluctuations in your scores - AND what you'll have to do to score higher. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, not taking breaks, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking CATs in a way that will mirror what you'll face on Test Day?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the realistic GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatretest wrote:

From what you said, it does appear that you have exhausted the Princeton question banks.

While going forward those tests might be good sources of practice questions, for representations of the test experience, you need to move onto a new set of tests.
GMAT Club Bot