Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
Are you sure? I got 97% for a 44 in V, and the grad table in the report itself shows that 45 is 98%.

Actually, I believe what Rhyme meant is that it is BS that someone with Hobbit's English skills to score in the 98th percentile; it's just impossible to believe. This was exactly the thing that led me to look up his score report(s).

The bottom line is that a good understanding of basic grammar is necessary to do well on the verbal section. SC tests it, of course, but high-level CR questions will be impossible to understand without good grammar skills. To paraphrase Rhyme, that kind of English cannot produce a 98%.

Honestly, I don't care whether the score report is real or not, but I'll say that I don't believe it because this person has already been caught in a lie. As Fig said, honesty is the most important value in this forum. Seriously, why do people lie in anonymous forums?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You do not need good to have good English to score high in the verbal section in GMAT. You simply have to study hard. I have seen loads of Chinese with very limited English abilitites perform exceedingly well on GMAT. GMAT really only tests a few grammar rules and idioms, so rote memorization works amazingly well. For that matter you don't even need good writing skills to score a 6 on AWA. I've know applicants who score a 6 on AWA, but worry that the adcome might actually read their essays, since they know that their writing is appalling - they scored a 6 by following some template. Go figure.
Personally, I think hobbitt's scores are real. I really don't see any reason to doubt his verbal scores based on his posts.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe what you are saying Lich, but I don't believe Hobbit because he's already been proven a liar.

As they say: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
We had some discussion about how to figure out the percentages and yields for certain schools based on different GMAT scores.

I was wondering though, on July 9 you posted that you scored 770 on the GMAT, but then on Nov. 9 you reported that you scored 780 after 1 week of practice. That doesn't seem to make sense. I was actually inspired to look up your score reports because of your post. It's extremely difficult for me to believe that someone with such poor language skills scored in the 99th percentile on the verbal section.

I really don't care if someone has problems with grammar and so forth; but I do have problems with people that play around when reporting scores. What's the deal?

Actually I don't see any differences between what hobbit posted and many other posters who say "I'm confident I can get a 720 for the test - what's my chance for XYZ school". It is possible that having done the GMATprep etc, he formed an expectation in July to hit 770. Came Oct, he took the test and scored 780. Perhaps there is a difference - hobbit performed better than he expected, while many others over-expected.

In my humble opinion, no clear evidences of lying in this case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lich wrote:
You do not need good to have good English to score high in the verbal section in GMAT. You simply have to study hard. I have seen loads of Chinese with very limited English abilitites perform exceedingly well on GMAT. GMAT really only tests a few grammar rules and idioms, so rote memorization works amazingly well. For that matter you don't even need good writing skills to score a 6 on AWA. I've know applicants who score a 6 on AWA, but worry that the adcome might actually read their essays, since they know that their writing is appalling - they scored a 6 by following some template. Go figure.
Personally, I think hobbitt's scores are real. I really don't see any reason to doubt his verbal scores based on his posts.

Agree with your analysis of the GMAT verbal and hobbit's posts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hobbit wrote:
this is my last post in this unfriendly forum.... attached is my score for those of you that don't believe me (apparently - i do care). as someone already noted this can be easily forged (and i did process mine - to eliminate identifying details), so you can still don't believe me if you'd like.

(but do note, that the "processed" statement in the above post is clearly not real... gmat will never put 100% on any score. even 800 is a 99% percentile not 100%).

i did explain why i initially put an unreal 770 in my profile 5 months ago. this explanation was true as well.

i will continue write on the math problems forum and the phd forums from time to time...

good luck to us all...

whatever it is, all the best in your apps. cheers.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
As they say: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Pelihu,

There's no way you could have gotten a 780 without even knowing the actual saying. It goes like this:

"Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. It fool me. We can't get fooled again."

https://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/images/foolbush.mov
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There's simply no way that someone who scored in the 98th percentile on the verbal section would only receive a 4.5 on the AWA.

Also, I noticed that the scored report indicates that he took the test on 10/27, and that the score report was issued on 11/03. I could be wrong about this, but since when are the score reports issued only one week after taking the test?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
well...I scored a 44 on the verbal section and got a 4.5 on AWA. How that happened, I don't know.

I am doubtful of someone who could do it in a week though.

Originally posted by ceglar on 11 Dec 2006, 10:36.
Last edited by ceglar on 11 Dec 2006, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
...Maybe because I can't spell.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
Also, I noticed that the scored report indicates that he took the test on 10/27, and that the score report was issued on 11/03. I could be wrong about this, but since when are the score reports issued only one week after taking the test?

That's a good point flapjack. My report shows it was issued about 2 weeks after test date. The lengths that people will go through to perpetuate their lies...pathetic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mine arrived 8 days after the test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You guys should just let it go.

Who cares if he lied or not.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is getting stupid. Why are people accusing hobbit of lying??? It is absolutely conceivable that people can score 98 or 99 percentile on the Verbal, while only getting 4.5 on AWA. Seriously, i can think of a million reasons, lack of practice, didn't give a damn, didn't finish, couldn't think of anything to say on the topic. Then again I "only" received a 93 percentile on Verbal and scored a 4.5 on AWA, so what do I know? Personally, I don't give a crap about AWA, never practiced it, and ran out of time in mid-sentence. Big deal.

Also, just because some people receive their official scores in 2 weeks, does not mean that PV cannot deliever them in a week. In fact, I think PV does speedup the turn-around for delivering scores in November and December, since so many deadlines are due around that timeframe. This actually makes perfect sense. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about the one week turn-around.

Peilu, if you are going to opening call someone a liar, based on nothing more than flimsy speculation than maybe you need to reconsider your role as a mod.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, my original accusation was not based on speculation at all. He reported in July that he scored 770. He reported in November that he scored 780 after studying for 1 week. I asked him to clarify the discrepancy and he admitted to lyingabout the first report, but claims he's telling the truth about the second report. I responded by saying since he has already been caught in a lie, I will not believe anything else that he says. It doesn't matter to me if he gets a note from his mother. To me, he's a liar.

Do not forget, he admitted as much himself.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Actually, my original accusation was not based on speculation at all. He reported in July that he scored 770. He reported in November that he scored 780 after studying for 1 week. I asked him to clarify the discrepancy and he admitted to lyingabout the first report, but claims he's telling the truth about the second report. I responded by saying since he has already been caught in a lie, I will not believe anything else that he says. It doesn't matter to me if he gets a note from his mother. To me, he's a liar.

Do not forget, he admitted as much himself.

Precisely. I'm astounded at the faith some of you give hobbit - here's a guy who comes in, claims a 770, then claims a 780 with "1 week of study", admits he lied and I'm supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt?? Seriously? For those of you that still answer yes, I have a magical potion I want to sell you for $20,000 that will make you live forever.

Even if you ignore that, put it in perspective:

1) A 780 score represents 99%, and in all likelyhood, 99.5% or maybe even more. Sometimes I think people forget just how high of a score this reprents - out of the 657,000 test takers in the sample size on my report, that means that this individual is in the top 6,000 test takers. If you assume that a 780 is better than 99%, he's arguably in the top 3,000 test takers. Top 3,000 or better in 657,000. Think about that for a minute.

2) A score of 780 is astronomical for anyone, including native english speakers, people who study months and months to achieve this kind of score.

3) Now imagine a non native english speaker doing it.

4) In a week.

Put that together and ask yourself, is it even remotely feasible?

A non-native english speaker with a poor understanding of basic grammar, studies for a period of one week and scores among the top 3,000 test takers out of almost 700,000 individuals?

Go back and look at this guys posts!

"Does Gmat score really matters?"

matters? So you don't have a basic grasp of singular vs plural. Ok, sure, and I'm supposed to believe you can spot parallelism in sentences when you cant even match subject to verb?

"in fact, it predict your quantitative skills not bad"

Seriously? 98%? You think so?

"we all like to look in statistical profile of departments"

look in? What is it, a window?

"to really know whats your chances"

You mean, to know what your chances are?

"the statistics we need is"

Yea that plural singular verb agreement thing must not have come up on his exam.

"it was also a wishful thinking"

Yea, "a" wishful thinking.

"i'll have time to study for gmat"

study for THE gmat... you need words like "the" sometimes. Good thing they didn't test that on the exam!

"i don't think i should apologizing to get 780"

Apologizing to get? And you really think he mastered concision and clarity on the GMAT?

Really? You guys really believe him? Seriously???
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2