Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [31]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [7]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [6]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Re: Driving the steep road to the mountain-top Inca ruins of Machu Picchu [#permalink]
Kudos
Steveewonder48 wrote:
Hi Guys ,

Pls forgive me if I am wrong But

Concl :

since the presence of large numbers of tourists tends to accelerate the
deterioration of a site so this is causing the harm . The impact of the Cable car or Tourist Bus is immaterial isin't it.

TO weaken the premise :
We need to show How the reduced people will improve the site beauty or reduce deterioration
Or
Since Machu Pichu is already crowded ... no matter what is done like cable cars or buses , the deterioration will continue immaterial to the transportation methods

So I think C is the answer But I am open to a debate since I may be wrong.

You are wrong and forgiven :lol:
jus kidding....coming to your argument,
"since the presence..." is not the conclusion,the conclusion is the second part which says "cable cars are bad for Machu picchu". disagree? read the sentence you have written above as conclusion. what is the "this"?
that is the conclusion and the first part is the premise. not convinced? ask yourself what is a premise? and what is a conclusion?(since obviously u know these terms it is easy to define it). A premise supports the conclusion and a conclusion is something that the argument says is true because of the premise. now break down the sentence in question. "since the presence.." is saying the reason why "cable cars are bad for machu picchu". Now what is the conclusion?
secondly,you almost never weaken the premise. It is the conclusion that you should attack, remember in every argument gmat will try invalidate the conclusion(main conclusion or sub conclusion) because an argument will have only one conclusion but many premises, it is easier to contradict that conclusion than to contradict several premises.

Hope this helps!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management; Finance
Schools:Wharton (int); Booth (int)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Re: Driving the steep road to the mountain-top Inca ruins of Machu Picchu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(E)

The passage implies cars->more tourists->more damage. If (E) is true, then cable cars may actually result in less damage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Correct me. E is answering why the author thinks tour buses WILL destroy the site. Are you answering why cable car will NOT destroy the site. I don't think so. Furthermore the arg is dependent on the number of tourists visiting the place. Reread the stimulus - "cable car .... access much ..... increase in tourism... tends to accelerate the deterioration of a site". How can E be the answer?

E.g If the defense attorney is alluding that X is better killer than Y - does that precludes Y from assisting in the crime? Same here. Hence choice E does not hold water. It has to answer the question "why" cable car will NOT destroy the site. And premise should verify that cable cars are technologically advanced. I don't see the support.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys ,

Pls forgive me if I am wrong But

Concl :

since the presence of large numbers of tourists tends to accelerate the
deterioration of a site so this is causing the harm . The impact of the Cable car or Tourist Bus is immaterial isin't it.

TO weaken the premise :
We need to show How the reduced people will improve the site beauty or reduce deterioration
Or
Since Machu Pichu is already crowded ... no matter what is done like cable cars or buses , the deterioration will continue immaterial to the transportation methods

So I think C is the answer But I am open to a debate since I may be wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [2]
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Kudos
glad to help!! :-D
perhaps one day you might return the favor when i am stuck!!
till then i'll be content if you give me a kudos by pressing +1 kudos under my display name. :wink:
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Driving the steep road to the mountain-top Inca ruins of Machu Picchu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ujaswin wrote:
I was stuck between A & E. Ended up choosing A because although option E is offsetting the damage to a little extent by replacing buses with cable cars it doesn't seriously weaken the argument. The argument requires us to weaken "installation of the cable car is certain to result in harm to the ruins." Option E just reduces this certainty.

Option A on the other hand weakens this conclusion, if we draw parallels between the human population which was present earlier and the no.of the tourists.

Hello, Ujaswin. You put your finger on the exact conclusion of the argument, but your own conclusion, which I have highlighted in red above, deviated from the correct line of logic. You are only supposing or assuming that the cable car will cause such harm. Maybe it will not. We simply do not know one way or the other, but the argument falls into a logical trouble zone when it asserts, well, the exact conclusion you outlined above: installation of the cable car is certain to result in harm to the ruins.

In the interest of helping the community, I will offer my thoughts on each of the answers below.

Lolaergasheva wrote:
Driving the steep road to the mountain-top Inca ruins of Machu Picchu is potentially dangerous and hiking there is difficult. Now the Peruvian government is installing a cable car that will make access much easier, and hence result in a large increase in tourism. However, since the presence of large numbers of tourists tends to accelerate the deterioration of a site, installation of the cable car is certain to result in harm to the ruins.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the argument?

Since we are looking to call into question or weaken the argument, we have to be careful to stick to the exact logic of the argument. The only certainty given in the argument is that

the Peruvian government is installing a cable car.

The conclusion that follows just after is speculation:

[installation of a cable car will] result in a large increase in tourism.

This could be true, but we cannot be certain of this influx of tourists. Thus, the premise that follows is already on shaky ground:

the presence of large numbers of tourists tends to accelerate the deterioration of a site

Again, we cannot be certain that tourists will suddenly turn up in droves, but I also want to point out how tends to in the middle of the premise also does not lead to a certainty. I can say that during the monsoon season in a certain area, it tends to rain quite frequently, but is not the same as saying that it will or must rain. That is, I cannot wake up in such a place and predict that it will rain with 100 percent certainty even if it is probable. And finally, we get the conclusion:

installation of the cable car is certain to result in harm to the ruins

We already know by now that this conclusion is premature, but what do the answer choices have in store for us?

Lolaergasheva wrote:
(A) The daily number of tourists that are expected to take the cable car to Machu Piccu is smaller than the original resident population of Incas.

Analysis: What does the original resident population of Incas have to do with the argument at all? The word original is troubling me here. Are we to understand that this tag refers to the Incas of some pre-Columbian time? Are we to then extend our reasoning that if such an original population did not destroy Machu Picchu, then neither will a smaller group of people? For one thing, the indigenous peoples were not skirting up the mountain in cable cars; for another, as a test-taking note, whenever you find yourself really stretching to justify an answer in CR, it is almost always going to prove incorrect. There is a linear line of logic to follow, and this one steers off-course pretty fast. There is nothing to put a dent in the argument that installing the cable car will cause damage to the ruins. That is, the argument could remain intact. Red light.

Lolaergasheva wrote:
(B) The construction of the cable car terminal at Machu Picchu will require the use of potentially damaging heavy machinery at the site.

Analysis: If anything, this answer makes it sound as if the outcome were more definite. The use of potentially damaging heavy machinery at the site sounds pretty ominous. Although, once again, the outcome is not a certainty, the argument is not being dismantled at all by this consideration. Red light.

Lolaergasheva wrote:
(C) Machu Picchu is already one of the most popular tourist sites in Peru.

Analysis: Great, but this could play right into the logic of the argument. Maybe more people will visit once the cable car makes the site more accessible. On the other hand, maybe more people will not visit, but the installation of the cable car could still cause harm to the site. This information has no bearing on the argument one way or the other. Red light.

Lolaergasheva wrote:
(D) Natural weathering will continue to be a more significant cause of the deterioration of Machu Picchu than tourist traffic.

Analysis: This is a tempting distraction, since a different factor, natural weathering, is said to continue to be a more significant cause of the deterioration of the site. In other words, tourists are apparently not the primary destructive force. The problem is that the argument does not rank causes of deterioration. It is based instead on the installation of a cable car at the site, an action that will drive in more tourists, who, in turn, will accelerate the deterioration of Machu Picchu. The argument is not affected if weather proves more destructive than foot traffic. Red light.

Lolaergasheva wrote:
(E) The cable car will replace the tour buses whose large wheels and corrosive exhaust at present do significant damage to the site.

Analysis: Now we are swapping out one mode of transportation with another, but it is the tour buses that at present do significant damage to the site. In other words, we know or can be certain only that buses are damaging the site, not that the cable car will be when it replaces the buses. Such a conclusion is pure speculation, weakening the certain part of the conclusion. Green light.

I had a lot of fun with this one. I, too, would like to know the source of the question, since whatever source it comes from does mimic an official question quite well, a feat that many third-party sources do not achieve.

If anyone has any further questions, feel free to post a response. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
I think we have to answer - why installation of "cable cars" will NOT result in damage. E is strengthening the argument not weakening.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [1]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
E. Because option E tells that the car is replacing the bus. As the car replacing bus, so the arguement is faulty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
I was stuck between A & E. Ended up choosing A because although option E is offsetting the damage to a little extent by replacing buses with cable cars it doesn't seriously weaken the argument. The argument requires us to weaken "installation of the cable car is certain to result in harm to the ruins." Option E just reduces this certainty.

Option A on the other hand weakens this conclusion, if we draw parallels between the human population which was present earlier and the no.of the tourists.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
E - weakens by supporting the conclusion.

tip - for weakening questions look for logical gap. don't destroy the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
 Q46  V34
Send PM
gmat1220 wrote:
Correct me. E is answering why the author thinks tour buses WILL destroy the site. Are you answering why cable car will NOT destroy the site. I don't think so. Furthermore the arg is dependent on the number of tourists visiting the place. Reread the stimulus - "cable car .... access much ..... increase in tourism... tends to accelerate the deterioration of a site". How can E be the answer?

E.g If the defense attorney is alluding that X is better killer than Y - does that precludes Y from assisting in the crime? Same here. Hence choice E does not hold water. It has to answer the question "why" cable car will NOT destroy the site. And premise should verify that cable cars are technologically advanced. I don't see the support.

gmat1220 what you are asking for is a "perfect answer" to the question(something that says cable is eco friendly or something). wat u are saying about X and Y is indeed true. however in the absence of an answer that completely precludes cable cars,we shud choose one that is closest. and E does that. by saying cable cars are better than buses, we can saying cable cars are a better choice for manchu picchu. Maybe not the best, but definitely a better choice. So the conclusion is weakened(though only slightly).
Hope this helps!!
by the way ppl, wat is the source of this CR?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Superb Explanation !!!!!

I have to accept I am wrong !!

Definition of premise and Concl is real good !

U rock
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Option E.
If the cable cars will replace something already more damaging to the MP site,then the argument that cable cars will lead to deterioration is weakened.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Explanation for choice D

Type: Weaken

Conclusion: installation of the cable => harm to the ruins

Assumption: installation of the cable is more harmful than current transportation used to get to the ruin.

Weaken the assumption: thr traditional way to get to the ruin is more harmful to the hostorical site
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
I think key to answer this question "accelerate the deterioration of a site,"

What if X slow downs the deterioration of a site
Assumption :- X will not slow down the deterioration of a site
E clearly says the same.

Another way to see the problem is
X will lead to Y
Presenting another reason z will lead to Y , will not weaken the X as a reason.
in such cases we have check even X will be implemented , will it affect chances of Y
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
nhattruong1302 wrote:
Explanation for choice D

Type: Weaken

Conclusion: installation of the cable => harm to the ruins

Assumption: installation of the cable is more harmful than current transportation used to get to the ruin.

Weaken the assumption: thr traditional way to get to the ruin is more harmful to the hostorical site

It appears your explanation is actually suited to E. Natural deterioration will happen anyway, so it is irrelevant to the argument about cable cars and more tourist traffic causing damage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
But E does not says that buses do more damage than cable car
It only says that it does a significant damage
Are we supposed to assume it does more damage than cable car???
Experts plz help
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts