Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus money was spent on mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry large pieces of machinery across the country.

a)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry
b)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and when they built the infrastructure needed to carry
c)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery as well as on building of the infrastructure needed to carry
d)the need to build heavy machinery that required mining of industrial metals and the building of infrastructure that was needed for carrying
e)mining industrial metals that were needed for building of heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure that was needed for carrying of

Kudos please
Want to unlock GMAT Club test.. :-D

OA--A
Don't know why I am not getting display for options. :roll:

Hi,
you are not getting the display because you have posted it in general VERBAL forum. you will get the same in SC so let me just transfer it to SC forum..
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Source- eGMAT

Just want to discuss option C.

a) mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry
C) mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery as well as on building of the infrastructure needed to carry.

If we compare A and C there are two difference.
1) And VS as well as--> can we use these interchangeably Or
We just prefer "AND" over " AS WELL AS" as its concise Or
If we join two things then usage of "AS WELL AS" is always incorrect...??? Please update

2) The extra usage of "OF".

A) mining industrial metals and building the infrastructure--> Gerund + Noun

But if I talk about C-
Adding "OF"--> what does this changes to ..??

building the infrastructure--> Gerund + Noun

building of the infrastructure--> Which form is this
Is it out because adding "of" makes it as COMPLEX GERUND and mining industrial metals is SIMPLE GERUND
And we can't parallel simple gerund with complex gerund... :?:

Please assist

Hi,
two quick points
1) and vs as well as--
And puts equal emphasis on both the parts.. As well as lays more emphasis on the first part prior to as well as..
try to follow what is meant in original..

2) parallelism issue in mining industrial and building infrastructutre.. bothhere correctly work as GERUND and direct object

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am confused between A and E. I found both to be grammatically correct. But I chose E. If we can drop 'that was' (on building the infrastructure needed..), then why can't we drop 'that were' (mining industrial metals.. needed to build). Please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
PrakharGMAT wrote:
During the industrial revolution, most of the government stimulus money was spent on mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry large pieces of machinery across the country.

a)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure needed to carry
b)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery and when they built the infrastructure needed to carry
c)mining industrial metals that were needed to build heavy machinery as well as on building of the infrastructure needed to carry
d)the need to build heavy machinery that required mining of industrial metals and the building of infrastructure that was needed for carrying
e)mining industrial metals that were needed for building of heavy machinery and on building the infrastructure that was needed for carrying of

A - Maintains parallelism between spent on mining.... and on building... Correct.
B - breaks parallelism. Out
C - as well as is word. Out.
D - Awkward and wordy.
E - wordy, and "needed for carrying of" it should be to carry. Out.

A is the answer IMO. What's the OA?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts