It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 1

Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:50) correct 37% (00:55) wrong based on 234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence of 3 different letters from the set {A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H}. If no sequence was assigned to more than one participant and if 36 of the possible sequences were not assigned, what was the number of participants in the study? (Note, for example, that the sequence A, B, C is different from the sequence C, B, A.)

A 20
B 92
C 300
D 372
E 476

*Question edited: 09/10/2016 and OA added.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got 476, the answer given was 300
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 7

Schools: HBS 2012
Re: Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Number of permutations of size three that can be taken from sample of size 8 = 8_P_3

= 8! / (8-3)!

= 8*7*6

= 336

minus 36 not given out

= 300

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 7

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128901 [4], given: 12183

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nphilli1 wrote:
Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence of 3 different letters from the set {A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H}. If no sequence was assigned to more than one participant and if 36 of the possible sequences were not assigned, what was the number of participants in the study? (Note, for example, that the sequence A, B, C is different from the sequence C, B, A.)

I was hoping someone could walk through the logic on here because I got a different answer than than the answer given in the answer guide.

Thanks

[Reveal] Spoiler:

# of letters = 8, # of ways to choose 3 letters out of 8 when order matters is \(P^3_8=\frac{8!}{(8-3)!}=336\), which means that there can be 336 different sequences. As 36 sequences were not assigned then 336-36=300 sequences were assigned, so there are 300 participants.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128901 [4], given: 12183

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 12:13
Bunuel wrote:
nphilli1 wrote:

I was hoping someone could walk through the logic on here because I got a different answer than than the answer given in the answer guide.

Thanks

[Reveal] Spoiler:

# of letters = 8, # of ways to choose 3 letters out of 8 when order matters is \(P^3_8=\frac{8!}{(8-3)!}=336\), which means that there can be 336 different sequences. As 36 sequences were not assigned then 336-36=300 sequences were assigned, so there are 300 participants.

Thank you both for your answers, I realize now that I misread the question and didn't take into account the word "different" in the question. On that note, if that word wasn't present (i.e. AAA and AAB could be used), would the answer be 476?

The logic I am using for that is:

= 8 * 8 * 8 - 36 = 512 - 36 = 476

Thanks again!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128901 [0], given: 12183

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 12:22
nphilli1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nphilli1 wrote:

Thanks

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Thank you both for your answers, I realize now that I misread the question and didn't take into account the word "different" in the question. On that note, if that word wasn't present (i.e. AAA and AAB could be used), would the answer be 476?

The logic I am using for that is:

= 8 * 8 * 8 - 36 = 512 - 36 = 476

Thanks again!

As the total # of different sequences for your modified question would be 8^3, then the answer indeed would be \(8^3-36=476\).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 12:47
Why is this a permutation question not combination? The order of the 8 letters doesnt matter (ABC and CAB are different)?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 02:50
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 06:43
Expert's post
Top Contributor
nphilli1 wrote:

A 20
B 92
C 300
D 372
E 476

*Question edited: 09/10/2016 and OA added.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

1. It is an nPr problem
2. Total number of possibilities is 8P3= 336
3. 36 of them not assigned
4. Therefore number of participants is 336-36=300

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:53
My approach to solving such questions:

We need 3 letter sequence. _ _ _
First place can be occupied by any of the 8 letters.
Since we have to form sequence using different letters, second place can be occupied by remaining 7 letters and third place by remaining 6 letters.
Hence, 8*7*6 = 336
Out of these, 36 arrangements were discarded. Hence, 336 - 36 = 300.

Kudo if it helps :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 839 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 16:55
nphilli1 wrote:

A 20
B 92
C 300
D 372
E 476

Since the order of the sequencing matters, the number of ways to choose and arrange 3 letters from a set of 8 letters is 8P3 = 8!/(8-3)! = 8 x 7 x 6 = 336. Since each participant was assigned to a unique sequence, and 36 of all possible sequences were not assigned, there are 336 - 36 = 300 participants.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 839 [0], given: 2

Re: Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 16:55

Each participant in a certain study was assigned a sequence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap