Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 18:27 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 18:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: EARLY AGE MBA ?? ! Is having Family business a downside? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi stonecold

Nice to meet you on the GMAT Club!
stonecold
HOWDIEEEE.. to anyone who reads this...!!

Now I have a very specific situation (thats what i think ) so i am submitting my info to which i would love to hear from anyone who has the adequate knowledge to address my concerns
Heres my BACKGROUND

10th grade=> 73%
12th grade => 74% (a science student)

Then i took an year off as i did not get into the a decent engineering college..Trust me here- i got into many colleges but all of them were Pretty much CRAP (sorry for the curse but i am being bluntly honest here)
In the mean time I assisted my father during the day and studied during night..I am not sure that experience will count for business schools nevertheless i am very proud that i did that as at an early age i got to understand as to how someone who runs an industry actually functions..
The Gap year proved fruitful as i got into GGSIPU Delhi plus i got a pretty good and a decorated college in the Capital city..
Engineering was Good in fact great ..

Aggregate=> 71%(B.Tech In Information tech)
Now to be honest with you guys i was working with my father during my engineering years as well ..I would literally pick up documents and do other chores for him (Yes He Paid Me too)

Here is the real problem why i wrote this piece =>
My age is 23 years and 330 days
I will be 24 next month..!!

I graduated in June 2015..
And from DAY 1 i have been working with my father in our Family business..
Initially i was hesitant to join him as i was an IT engineer and my family is into Footwear business. Then I started to love my JOB [Common we make shoes and other footwear's for a living. Who would not love that right :) ] From an admissions perspective- for Indian pool- and I have read THOUSANDS of applications from India-- I see IT all day... and I have never seen footwear- so this may actually help you :-D
Now almost an year later i feel like i need to grow my business outreach..
Trust me when i say this - Work is Fine..But the glitch is => "i want to take my family Business to places" Actually i want that to be Awesome instead of just Fine (sorry for the choice of words )
Hence i need an MBA..
And to much of my surprise my father stands right by me in this decision..! In fact He told me that its a very mature move..!!

I know most of you might think its too early for an MBA
But honestly guys Waiting for another 2 or 3 years will not take my business anywhere .It will be in a stand still.
Plus i think i have the added advantage of working with my father in my initial GAP year where i assisted him if it counts.

So it goes without saying => I DON'T ONLY WANT AN MBA ; I NEED AN MBA..!!

secondly i am a bit confused about this work experience thing ..!!
Most of the business schools require 2 years of work experience in there applicants ..
What does 2 years mean? Schools in the top 20 like at least 2 yrs usually. In some cases, you can count the work you did while still in college if you were making a meaningful contribution to your work and you can convince the admissions committee through your essays and also interview.
till the program actually starts or till the time you fill out your application
If i apply in 2016 for fall 2017 admissions then by the time i actually start my school in September i will be having 2 years and 2 months of experience.. I guess that would do..???

WHAT ARE THE SCHOOLS I CAN TARGET ???

Top 20 can i get in ?
Okay Top30?
Top40?
i am flexible as long as it in the Top 40-45
Common Guys Help me get into top 40 at-least..!!!! I don't want to wait ..!! So if you truly want to go NOW- then I would be targeting the top 30 "top 20" MBA programs as you are not going to be competitive in M7 level with what I see here. But if you can find a program in 15-30 range they may be more forgiving of lack of work experience especially if you can get a higher score.
I am into manufacturing shoes and other footwear so anything related to MARKETING AND ADVERTISING would be Fabulous ..Plus i like Advertising.
Now if (only if) i wait another year( which probably would not do any good to my industry ) then will it increase my chances of getting admitted..

GMAT => Appearing this October..I think i can get a good score..i will try for 700 maybe ..I will Dig that (i have started preparing)Yes I would be shooting for 730 - remember that when something is under (work experience) something else must be over (GMAT is a great place to make that up)

now to the most important part=>

Community services => I am an active part of an Organisation which rescues street dogs and treats them until they are healthy..I have been a part of this organisation from my engineering days ..the reason i do it it i honestly believe in the work we do..We organise dog shows too..

Positions held => "I am not given any designations actually .. I am responsible for marketing and supply ..Plus sometimes manufacturing too. Family business comes with several added responsibilities too :)
The Post MBA goals => " I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO MY HOME COUNTRY THE DAY AFTER I GET AN MBA . Off course i would like to do an internship however..But apart from that i have one any only one vision that is to Do Justice to my family business and take it to a level it deserves"

ANYONE WHO READS THIS Please Feel free TO POST any suggestions You guys Have for me... It will be really helpful.. You can leverage your community involvement in your essays- and if done compellingly enough it may help. I suggest that you look at some US footwear companies you'd like to learn from- Nike? For example here is a link to corporate MBA careers- https://jobs.nike.com/search/mba
So here is a strategy for you... follow the dots and see which schools have the recruiting relationships with Nike and target some of those schools-
And if you want even more helpful strategies like this- that's the kind of thing we do at Stratus Prep and you can get a free consult from contacting us on our website with link below! Best of luck to you-- but seriously from an admissions perspective- your hook is the footwear thing! It stands out in your pool so leverage that and you may be able to work that angle for admissions!

Love and respect to everyone
Stone Cold

P.S => Don't let my user name mislead you ..!! I am an indian candidate :)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [0]
Send PM
EARLY AGE MBA ?? ! Is having Family business a downside? [#permalink]
StratusMBACounselor
Hi stonecold

Nice to meet you on the GMAT Club!
stonecold
HOWDIEEEE.. to anyone who reads this...!!

Now I have a very specific situation (thats what i think ) so i am submitting my info to which i would love to hear from anyone who has the adequate knowledge to address my concerns
Heres my BACKGROUND

10th grade=> 73%
12th grade => 74% (a science student)

Then i took an year off as i did not get into the a decent engineering college..Trust me here- i got into many colleges but all of them were Pretty much CRAP (sorry for the curse but i am being bluntly honest here)
In the mean time I assisted my father during the day and studied during night..I am not sure that experience will count for business schools nevertheless i am very proud that i did that as at an early age i got to understand as to how someone who runs an industry actually functions..
The Gap year proved fruitful as i got into GGSIPU Delhi plus i got a pretty good and a decorated college in the Capital city..
Engineering was Good in fact great ..

Aggregate=> 71%(B.Tech In Information tech)
Now to be honest with you guys i was working with my father during my engineering years as well ..I would literally pick up documents and do other chores for him (Yes He Paid Me too)

Here is the real problem why i wrote this piece =>
My age is 23 years and 330 days
I will be 24 next month..!!

I graduated in June 2015..
And from DAY 1 i have been working with my father in our Family business..
Initially i was hesitant to join him as i was an IT engineer and my family is into Footwear business. Then I started to love my JOB [Common we make shoes and other footwear's for a living. Who would not love that right :) ] From an admissions perspective- for Indian pool- and I have read THOUSANDS of applications from India-- I see IT all day... and I have never seen footwear- so this may actually help you :-D
Now almost an year later i feel like i need to grow my business outreach..
Trust me when i say this - Work is Fine..But the glitch is => "i want to take my family Business to places" Actually i want that to be Awesome instead of just Fine (sorry for the choice of words )
Hence i need an MBA..
And to much of my surprise my father stands right by me in this decision..! In fact He told me that its a very mature move..!!

I know most of you might think its too early for an MBA
But honestly guys Waiting for another 2 or 3 years will not take my business anywhere .It will be in a stand still.
Plus i think i have the added advantage of working with my father in my initial GAP year where i assisted him if it counts.

So it goes without saying => I DON'T ONLY WANT AN MBA ; I NEED AN MBA..!!

secondly i am a bit confused about this work experience thing ..!!
Most of the business schools require 2 years of work experience in there applicants ..
What does 2 years mean? Schools in the top 20 like at least 2 yrs usually. In some cases, you can count the work you did while still in college if you were making a meaningful contribution to your work and you can convince the admissions committee through your essays and also interview.
till the program actually starts or till the time you fill out your application
If i apply in 2016 for fall 2017 admissions then by the time i actually start my school in September i will be having 2 years and 2 months of experience.. I guess that would do..???

WHAT ARE THE SCHOOLS I CAN TARGET ???

Top 20 can i get in ?
Okay Top30?
Top40?
i am flexible as long as it in the Top 40-45
Common Guys Help me get into top 40 at-least..!!!! I don't want to wait ..!! So if you truly want to go NOW- then I would be targeting the top 30 "top 20" MBA programs as you are not going to be competitive in M7 level with what I see here. But if you can find a program in 15-30 range they may be more forgiving of lack of work experience especially if you can get a higher score.
I am into manufacturing shoes and other footwear so anything related to MARKETING AND ADVERTISING would be Fabulous ..Plus i like Advertising.
Now if (only if) i wait another year( which probably would not do any good to my industry ) then will it increase my chances of getting admitted..

GMAT => Appearing this October..I think i can get a good score..i will try for 700 maybe ..I will Dig that (i have started preparing)Yes I would be shooting for 730 - remember that when something is under (work experience) something else must be over (GMAT is a great place to make that up)

now to the most important part=>

Community services => I am an active part of an Organisation which rescues street dogs and treats them until they are healthy..I have been a part of this organisation from my engineering days ..the reason i do it it i honestly believe in the work we do..We organise dog shows too..

Positions held => "I am not given any designations actually .. I am responsible for marketing and supply ..Plus sometimes manufacturing too. Family business comes with several added responsibilities too :)
The Post MBA goals => " I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO MY HOME COUNTRY THE DAY AFTER I GET AN MBA . Off course i would like to do an internship however..But apart from that i have one any only one vision that is to Do Justice to my family business and take it to a level it deserves"

ANYONE WHO READS THIS Please Feel free TO POST any suggestions You guys Have for me... It will be really helpful.. You can leverage your community involvement in your essays- and if done compellingly enough it may help. I suggest that you look at some US footwear companies you'd like to learn from- Nike? For example here is a link to corporate MBA careers- https://jobs.nike.com/search/mba
So here is a strategy for you... follow the dots and see which schools have the recruiting relationships with Nike and target some of those schools-
And if you want even more helpful strategies like this- that's the kind of thing we do at Stratus Prep and you can get a free consult from contacting us on our website with link below! Best of luck to you-- but seriously from an admissions perspective- your hook is the footwear thing! It stands out in your pool so leverage that and you may be able to work that angle for admissions!

Love and respect to everyone
Stone Cold

P.S => Don't let my user name mislead you ..!! I am an indian candidate :)

Hey sir StratusMBACounselor
Apologies for troubling you again but i have a specific query now =>
Is my profile good enough for notre dame ?
and additionally if not should i skip applying this year in R2 and apply in early round next year so that my work ex will be more than 2 years and 4 months?
i want to get into notre dame or georgetown..!
Actually Notre dame is my top priority.

P.S => I realize my post was a bit amateur given that i didn't do any research back then .
have done my research now ..!

Cheers
Stone Cold
GMAT Club Bot
EARLY AGE MBA ?? ! Is having Family business a downside? [#permalink]