It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ESR doesn't make sense at all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
ESR doesn't make sense at all [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 20:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

I just got my ESR for my exam back in september (re- take on Dec 1st) and when looking at the line graph which shows question difficulty and the average answered correctly/incorrectly, I was stumped.

I've attached a breakdown of the Verbal (40), and the Quant sections (39)

What stumps me is the difficulty level of the questions.

On one hand, in verbal, i got the first 10 correct, and yet the problems being thrown at me were only between middle and high, eventually only picking up toward the second half of the test (and even then, only slightly). I ended up with a 40.

On the other hand, in Quant, right off the bat i was hit with high level questions, which only gradually dropped off in time. In fact, by the end of quant, the average difficulty that I was facing was actually MORE than what I was facing in verbal even though I ended up with only a 39 (37th percentile) in Quant and a 91st percentile in verbal.

Am i not reading this correctly? Any idea why I was being given relatively high difficulty quant questions despite obviously performing poorly, while at the same time not really seeing a huge jump in verbal question difficulty or score after getting the first 10 questions in that section correct?

I'm a little worried now because I know my limits when it comes to quant, and have been concentrating on the 600-700 level questions on the forums, while not touching the 700 level questions. Would I need to be solving 700 level questions in order to get a Q 45-48?

Thanks for all the replies!
Attachments

ESR 660.pdf [392.55 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 281

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ESR doesn't make sense at all [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 08:48
Top Contributor
calappa1234 wrote:
Hello,

I just got my ESR for my exam back in september (re- take on Dec 1st) and when looking at the line graph which shows question difficulty and the average answered correctly/incorrectly, I was stumped.

I've attached a breakdown of the Verbal (40), and the Quant sections (39)

What stumps me is the difficulty level of the questions.

On one hand, in verbal, i got the first 10 correct, and yet the problems being thrown at me were only between middle and high, eventually only picking up toward the second half of the test (and even then, only slightly). I ended up with a 40.

On the other hand, in Quant, right off the bat i was hit with high level questions, which only gradually dropped off in time. In fact, by the end of quant, the average difficulty that I was facing was actually MORE than what I was facing in verbal even though I ended up with only a 39 (37th percentile) in Quant and a 91st percentile in verbal.

Am i not reading this correctly? Any idea why I was being given relatively high difficulty quant questions despite obviously performing poorly, while at the same time not really seeing a huge jump in verbal question difficulty or score after getting the first 10 questions in that section correct?

I'm a little worried now because I know my limits when it comes to quant, and have been concentrating on the 600-700 level questions on the forums, while not touching the 700 level questions. Would I need to be solving 700 level questions in order to get a Q 45-48?

Thanks for all the replies!

Please look into this post for ESR. I would suggest you get the basics strong. Know all the concepts and solve all the 500-650 level questions without any error.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 281

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ESR doesn't make sense at all [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 11:23
Hey calappa1234

From the looks of it, it seems to me that it is more a problem of consistently
making mistakes rather than getting only difficult questions wrong, which
was the primary reason why you didn't achieve a high score in Quant!

Here's what mcelroytutoring has to tell about Quantitative Section.

On Quant, it's all about the managing the algorithm. Here's what you have to do:

1) Make sure you ace the first half of the test. No more than 1 or 2 wrong in the 1st or 2nd quartile of questions.
2) Try your absolute best to avoid getting more than one question wrong in a row.
3) Go slowly enough to excel at the beginning (no careless mistakes), but quickly enough to finish all the questions before time expires!

From what I am able to understand from your ESR(especially when it comes to the Quant Section)
Quartile 1(1-9) : 5/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 2(10-18) : 3/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 3(19-27) : 4/7(2 experimental questions)
Quartile 4(28-37) : 2/7(3 experimental questions)

The reason you have consistently made mistakes throughout the test, you were not able above Q40.
You might want to try the GMATClub tests, which will make you familiar with the traps that GMAT
has and helps you to improve your score.

You might want to check this link out to get more clarity:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ordered-scor ... l#p1924421

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 19

Re: ESR doesn't make sense at all   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2017, 11:23

ESR doesn't make sense at all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap