It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 14:19
Was scoring Q49-Q50 on all mocks (official, gmat club, etc.), so was surprised to see a Q42 (45th percentile) on the actual test.

Wasn’t the test suppose to be adaptive? Of course it wouldn’t be adaptive for the extreme test taker. For example, a genius might get 8 of the last 9 correct, or even 9 of the last 9 correct and the test wouldn’t be considered adaptive for him because he knows all the answers. On the same hand a clown might get 0 or 1 of the last 9 questions correct, and the test wouldn’t be adaptive for him because he doesn’t know any of the questions.
But I scored around the 50th percentile, how can you say your test was adaptive, and you were adapting the questions to my level the entire test and have a test taker end up answering 8 of the last 9 questions correctly? (assuming 8 of 9 correct is considered good)
More importantly, the questions were between a medium to hard level, how can you have a test taker end up answering 8 of the last 9 correctly and end up with such a poor score in the 45th percentile?

I would consider almost all of the questions I had to be at a 600-700 level, very few at sub 600 level, and I don’t think I had a 700 level question. Even in the second question set, I also got 8 of 9 questions correctly, and the questions raised very little in difficulty. Are the 700 level questions reserved only for high scorers (Q49+) and even at that, those scorers only see 700+ level questions at the very end, and see very few of them (maybe the last 3, 5, or 7 questions)?

Why do you think I scored so poorly?
(1) I didn’t start off too well, maybe answered 6-7 of the first 9 questions correctly. So did missing 2-3 questions at the beginning considered not recoverable?
(2) I didn’t do well in the 3rd question set, maybe got 5 of 9 correct, so I missed 4. Hypothetically speaking, say I got 3 of those 4 right, at that point I would have got 8 of the 9 correct in the 3rd section also. At that point, I had 8 of 9 correct in the 2nd section, 8 of 9 correct in the 3rd section (hypothetically), and 8 of 9 correct in the 4th section. I would consider that doing exceptionally well, a score worthy in the 80th+ percentile. So did missing 3 questions in the 3rd problem set, completely tank my score to the 45th percentile?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:06
jasonfodor wrote:
Was scoring Q49-Q50 on all mocks (official, gmat club, etc.), so was surprised to see a Q42 (45th percentile) on the actual test.

Wasn’t the test suppose to be adaptive? Of course it wouldn’t be adaptive for the extreme test taker. For example, a genius might get 8 of the last 9 correct, or even 9 of the last 9 correct and the test wouldn’t be considered adaptive for him because he knows all the answers. On the same hand a clown might get 0 or 1 of the last 9 questions correct, and the test wouldn’t be adaptive for him because he doesn’t know any of the questions.
But I scored around the 50th percentile, how can you say your test was adaptive, and you were adapting the questions to my level the entire test and have a test taker end up answering 8 of the last 9 questions correctly? (assuming 8 of 9 correct is considered good)
More importantly, the questions were between a medium to hard level, how can you have a test taker end up answering 8 of the last 9 correctly and end up with such a poor score in the 45th percentile?

I would consider almost all of the questions I had to be at a 600-700 level, very few at sub 600 level, and I don’t think I had a 700 level question. Even in the second question set, I also got 8 of 9 questions correctly, and the questions raised very little in difficulty. Are the 700 level questions reserved only for high scorers (Q49+) and even at that, those scorers only see 700+ level questions at the very end, and see very few of them (maybe the last 3, 5, or 7 questions)?

Why do you think I scored so poorly?
(1) I didn’t start off too well, maybe answered 6-7 of the first 9 questions correctly. So did missing 2-3 questions at the beginning considered not recoverable?
(2) I didn’t do well in the 3rd question set, maybe got 5 of 9 correct, so I missed 4. Hypothetically speaking, say I got 3 of those 4 right, at that point I would have got 8 of the 9 correct in the 3rd section also. At that point, I had 8 of 9 correct in the 2nd section, 8 of 9 correct in the 3rd section (hypothetically), and 8 of 9 correct in the 4th section. I would consider that doing exceptionally well, a score worthy in the 80th+ percentile. So did missing 3 questions in the 3rd problem set, completely tank my score to the 45th percentile?
Look at the line showing the average difficulty of the questions you got wrong. It's always above the blue line. That shows that the test was giving you one or more questions that were above the level you were maintaining. That's why your score actually went up consistently (you managed to recover, somewhat, from a pretty bad start).

This is not say that the test is adaptive and that you got the score that reflects your true capability. This is just to say that the test is adaptive, and that you probably just underperformed on test day.

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 62

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 01:14
jasonfodor I haven't took any mocks or GMAT actual test as of now but I would like to throw some light on your score 45 in QA.

As per the graph provided by you, I can see that you did mistake in probably 3 out of 10 questions in the first section which was a pool of below 600 level questions. This gave you a lazy start. Then you did well in 2nd section and build the score but in the 3rd section you started doing mistake and did wrong in about 4 questions out of 9 . This was the chance to counter your lazy start but this mistake costed you so much that after 3rd section you never get any harder questions ans continued to give same level questions.

So what to depict from this, First 10 questions is very important and more important than last 10 questions.
Avoid silly mistakes in easy questions as much as possible and take time to recheck. A silly mistake in a simple question will cost you more than anything else.

I hope this was a bad day for you. So don't worry . keep studying and solving questions with a timer and you will get your actual score of around 50-51.

Don't forget to check this scientific analysis showing how the first 10 questions become very important in the GMAT test.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/un-scientifi ... 64970.html

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 11:10
I think the critical turning point is in your 3rd quarter where you got many questions wrong, resulting in a lower average difficulty level in the 4th quarter. The problem with missing these questions in the 3rd quarter is that they were probably easier problems which penalize you heavily if you get them wrong. Honestly, because of your less than ideal start, the overall difficulty level was probably not too high, and if you wanted to boost the difficulty level you would need to answer the vast majority of the remaining questions right, which you did not achieve. Overall, the scoring system determines that your performance throughout the test is consistent with your performance with your performance in the first quarter and therefore gave you the score you ended up getting.

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$50/hour as of February 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 483 [1], given: 53

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
In my experience (I've taken the GMAT 5 times), Quant scores can vary widely due to the adaptive algorithm, and the extreme importance of the first 10-12 questions.

For example, you got 7 wrong (out of the 28 counted questions) and got a Q42. Others have received scores of Q50 with 6 questions wrong!

On Quant, it's all about the managing the algorithm. Here's what you have to do:

1) Make sure you ace the first half of the test. No more than 1 or 2 wrong in the 1st or 2nd quartile of questions.
2) Try your absolute best to avoid getting more than one question wrong in a row.
3) Go slowly enough to excel at the beginning (no careless mistakes!), but quickly enough to finish all the questions before time expires.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 12 Sep 2017, 18:35, edited 3 times in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 21:55
I think GMAC should either change its algorithm or accept the importance of the first few questions.

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (SC 27, RC 22, CR 41).
GMAT PREP4: 760 ( Q50, V42). (SC 41, RC 51, CR 42).
GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017).

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 00:31
mcelroytutoring wrote:
In my experience, Quant scores can vary widely due to the adaptive algorithm, and the extreme importance of the first 10-12 questions.

For example, you got 7 wrong (out of the 28 counted questions) and got a Q42. Others have received scores of Q50 with 6 questions wrong!

On Quant, it's all about the managing the algorithm. Here's what you have to do:

1) Make sure you ace the first half of the test. No more than 1 or 2 wrong in the 1st or 2nd quartile of questions.
2) Try your absolute best to avoid getting more than one question wrong in a row.
3) Go slow enough to excel at the beginning (no careless mistakes!), but fast enough to finish all the questions.

Sir,

Thank you for this advise-this is really helpful. On similar lines, can you please share 3 points for scoring 40+ in verbal as well?

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 01:17
mcelroytutoring wrote:
In my experience, Quant scores can vary widely due to the adaptive algorithm, and the extreme importance of the first 10-12 questions.

3) Go slow enough to excel at the beginning (no careless mistakes!), but fast enough to finish all the questions.

mcelroytutoring,

When you say, on Quant, its all about managing the algorithm, what do you think about GMAT(Verbal)?
Do the first few questions in Verbal not have as much importance as in Quant?
It would be great to know what are your thoughts about the Verbal Section.
What do you think is needed to maximize the score in Verbal, if one had a a poor sub-section(example: Critical Reasoning)

It would be very helpful if you could provide your insights.

Thanks in advance!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
pushpitkc wrote:
mcelroytutoring,

When you say, on Quant, its all about managing the algorithm, what do you think about GMAT(Verbal)?
What do you think is needed to maximize the score in Verbal, if one had a a poor sub-section(example: Critical Reasoning)

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I've found that on Verbal, the adaptive scoring algorithm doesn't matter nearly as much. Although the test is still adaptive, your Verbal score is more of a direct reflection of the total number of questions that you answer incorrectly.

Some rough estimates for Verbal scores, for example, based on ESRs that I've seen and analyzed so far:

0 wrong = 51
1 wrong = 48
2 wrong = 46-47
3 wrong = 45-46
4 wrong = 43-44
5 wrong = 40-42
6 wrong = 36-40
7 wrong = 33-39
8 wrong = 30-38
9 wrong = 28-37
10 wrong = 26-36

Etc.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 12 Sep 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 10:12
mcelroytutoring wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
mcelroytutoring,

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I've found that on Verbal, the adaptive scoring algorithm doesn't matter nearly as much. Although the test is still adaptive, your Verbal score is more of a direct reflection of the total number of questions that you answer incorrectly.

Some rough estimates for Verbal scores, for example, based on ESRs that I've seen and analyzed so far:

0 wrong = 51
1 wrong = 48-49
2 wrong = 46-47
3 wrong = 45-46
4 wrong = 43-44
5 wrong = 40-42
6 wrong = 36-40
7 wrong = 33-39
8 wrong = 30-38
9 wrong = 28-37
10 wrong = 26-36

Etc.

Thanks a ton for the quick revert, sir
Why is there such a major range when you get more than 6 questions wrong?
Does this have anything to do with the placement of the mistakes you make during the test?

Thanks in advance!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 53

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 17:08
Top Contributor
pushpitkc wrote:
Thanks a ton for the quick revert, sir
Why is there such a major range when you get more than 6 questions wrong?
Does this have anything to do with the placement of the mistakes you make during the test?

Thanks in advance!

Happy to help!

When you only get a small handful of questions wrong, the algorithm doesn't care that much where they are located. However, if you get a lot of questions wrong at the beginning of the test (medium/easy difficulty), then you will receive a lower score than if you get a lot of questions wrong at the end (medium/hard difficulty).

McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 53

Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image)   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 17:08

Ordered score report and this test doesn’t seem adaptive at all(image)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap